DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Icon
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got an HR20-100 which is becoming more and more unresponsive to remote commands, and is very slow with the new HD guids, and an H20-100 which to my understanding is not eligible for whole-home because there is no network connection. I also have the protection plan, if that matters.

I think it's time for me to trade in and upgrade, but I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest. From perousing around here, an HR34 or 24 seem to be the latest HD DVR's, and there is also a Tivo model out.

I'm looking for a replacement of my HR20, as well as a replacement of my 2nd HD receiver for whole home. What is the advantage of a home media center over the DVR? Are there any standard upgrade paths for me to follow?

Thanks for any advice before I call the protection support number.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Well, if can wait three weeks, the HMC HR34 will be available to existing customers.

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
BuffaloDenny said:
Hi, I've got an HR20-100 which is becoming more and more unresponsive to remote commands, and is very slow with the new HD guids, and an H20-100 which to my understanding is not eligible for whole-home because there is no network connection. I also have the protection plan, if that matters.

I think it's time for me to trade in and upgrade, but I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest. From perousing around here, an HR34 or 24 seem to be the latest HD DVR's, and there is also a Tivo model out.

I'm looking for a replacement of my HR20, as well as a replacement of my 2nd HD receiver for whole home. What is the advantage of a home media center over the DVR? Are there any standard upgrade paths for me to follow?

Thanks for any advice before I call the protection support number.
I think you'd get both units replaced with Whole Home and a 3D TV. Just getting Whole Home may do it if they can be convinced the HR20 is in fact failing.
I'd be torn between two HR24's and an HR34 and an H25 if I had my choice.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
HR34 versus HR24 - the HR34 will be more costly up front, but should be the same recurring monthly cost. It will have 5 tuners whereas the HR24 will have two, and supports more series links as others have noted above. Don't know how much you record, so those differences may be a consideration. The HR34 also offers picture-in-picture on the local TV.

The HR34 is newer and is not yet as mature as the HR24. The new HD GUI is not yet available on the HR34. And as noted previously, it is not yet nationally available to existing customers (but you can obtain one through a 3rd party vendor).

Personally if I were in your position, I would opt for two HR2x series units. That would give you full DVR capability at each tv (including the live buffer, trick play, etc.), as well as the ability to view shows from either DVR at either location (if you also get whole-home service). In effect you would have four tuner capability. The only thing this would not offer is the PIP capability. I'm using three HR2x DVRs and one H2x receiver, and have no personal need for an HR34. The monthly recurring cost is the same for one DVR and one receiver as it is for two DVRs. You only pay the DVR fee once per account.

· Hall Of Fame
1,128 Posts
Give DirecTV a call and see what they can offer you. It's definitely worth a shot. Although they can not guarantee any specific receiver other than an HR34 when it's time comes.

Kevin

· Icon
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin F said:
Give DirecTV a call and see what they can offer you. It's definitely worth a shot. Although they can not guarantee any specific receiver other than an HR34 when it's time comes.

Kevin
Whre in D* do you guys recommend I place the call to, i.e. retention, protection plan #, etc.?

HR34 has me intrigued, as I could use the extra series links and tuners. I have a 1TB drive hooked up to my HR20-100, and am assuming that like the HR20, I cannot add the capacity of the external drive to the internal on the HR34. Whole home and pip sounds good. I don't mind that it's not as mature - I was with the HR20 when it first came out, and it has come a long way:)

· Legend
118 Posts
I've got one SD DVR and one HD DVR (HR22-100) and one HD box (HR20), 3 total. I want to upgrade to Whole Home DVR and add another box, 4 total.

I was "offered":

Free 2nd DVR (to replace the SD DVR)
Free HD Box (to replace the H20)
Free HD Box (added 4th receiver)

$25 off for 24 months (I think its from $12 off for 2-HD DVRs, $3 off for whole home and $10 off for auto bill pay).

Free install

Is this a good deal?

I've been a Total Choice customer since 2006, ordering Sunday Ticket and March Madness, when available, and premium channel occasionally. I consider myself a "low maintenance" customer, with few service or hardware complaints and rarely asking for freebies or discounts. (I do get Sunday Ticket discounted, I think.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.