DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Icon
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if its possible to move a nomad between accounts?

My buddy has one but as far as I know its still in the box, so I would like to ask to borrow it and try it out, but I'm wondering if that commits me to buying it from him, or whether if I don't like the device, give it back to him?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
tuff bob said:
Does anyone know if its possible to move a nomad between accounts?

My buddy has one but as far as I know its still in the box, so I would like to ask to borrow it and try it out, but I'm wondering if that commits me to buying it from him, or whether if I don't like the device, give it back to him?
I don't believe that can be done, as it is an "owned" device and assigned to a user's account.

What CAN be done is to have your friend's mobile device included as a "trial" in your account list for mobile "clients" (you can have up to 5 devices).

That would allow him to install the nomad client at your location, download content, and view it (for the 30-day time limit). Perhaps once he does that, he'll consider buying one on his own account.

It is also recommended to uninstall the "trial" client on your account once that preview viewing is done, so that your account doesn't "lock" up one of your 5 client licenses.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,263 Posts
tuff bob said:
Does anyone know if its possible to move a nomad between accounts?

My buddy has one but as far as I know its still in the box, so I would like to ask to borrow it and try it out, but I'm wondering if that commits me to buying it from him, or whether if I don't like the device, give it back to him?
hdtvfan0001 said:
You'll have to call DirecTV and get them to (re)register the device to your account.
I think that's the answer to the OP. :)
 

· The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
36,634 Posts
The official answer is that it is possible but you need to get a CSR involved, and due to the rarity of this happening, it may take you a while to find a CSR who can do this.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,064 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
....It is also recommended to uninstall the "trial" client on your account once that preview viewing is done, so that your account doesn't "lock" up one of your 5 client licenses.
Just to be clear, unistalling the client does not "free up" a device slot. There is no mechanism in place to remove a registered client UNTIL you fill all 5 slots. Upon trying to register a 6th mobile device, you will prompted to select which of the existing clients you wish to remove.

Note that once you remove a client, it can not be re-registered for 30 days.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Titan25 said:
Just to be clear, unistalling the client does not "free up" a device slot. There is no mechanism in place to remove a registered client UNTIL you fill all 5 slots. Upon trying to register a 6th mobile device, you will prompted to select which of the existing clients you wish to remove.

Note that once you remove a client, it can not be re-registered for 30 days.
It does indeed "free up a slot" if you want to transfer that license to another device after 30 days have passed since the uninstall. The net effect is to free up the license/slot after that time period.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,213 Posts
Titan25 said:
Just to be clear, unistalling the client does not "free up" a device slot. There is no mechanism in place to remove a registered client UNTIL you fill all 5 slots. Upon trying to register a 6th mobile device, you will prompted to select which of the existing clients you wish to remove.

Note that once you remove a client, it can not be re-registered for 30 days.
Thanks for that clarification about the 30 days and how a slot is "reserved" for that device until a sixth device is added. I don't recall seeing that when I read about Nomad the first time, but that's important to remember...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Those of us actually using nomad for some time have found the client reservations to operate differently than portrayed in an earlier post.

If you haven't used all of the 5 client limit...transferring is obviously irrelevant.

Uninstall - wait 30 days - the reservation can be transferred to another device. It's that simple once 5 reservations are used.
 

· Dad
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
Also, once a client is registered, it's license cannot be released to another for 30 days.
This happened to me with a new iPhone 4S. Added it to Nomad as a license, 3 days later it failed. The new phone could not replace the 4S for another 4 weeks.

People need to keep that scenario in mind too when adding devices as clients.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
NR4P said:
Also, once a client is registered, it's license cannot be released to another for 30 days.
This happened to me with a new iPhone 4S. Added it to Nomad as a license, 3 days later it failed. The new phone could not replace the 4S for another 4 weeks.

People need to keep that scenario in mind too when adding devices as clients.
Yes - exactly.
 

· This Space for Sale
Joined
·
7,436 Posts
NR4P said:
Also, once a client is registered, it's license cannot be released to another for 30 days.
This happened to me with a new iPhone 4S. Added it to Nomad as a license, 3 days later it failed. The new phone could not replace the 4S for another 4 weeks.

People need to keep that scenario in mind too when adding devices as clients.
RAD said:
I had 5 clients registered and had no problem transferring a iPhone 3GS license to a new 4S, just selected which old license I wanted to transfer and done, no 30 day wait.
Was the difference here that your old phone was operational whereas NR4P's phone was not?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top