DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis may be a silly question, but here goes. I get the local channels out of Philly which includes Channel 69, which is a local Allentown/Reading station. Channel 69 came up with their own local weather channel similar to the Weather Channel, but focused on the eastern Pennsylvania-New Jersey viewing area. It was broadcasted on it's own cable channel 24/7. I found myself going to this channel at least twice a day. I think this would be an excellent service channel that should be added to the Philly local package. Is this possible? Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
1,117 Posts
I don't know why you couldn't. I would really like WIPB and WTIU in Indianapolis locals along with WB. It's worth a shot.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
The station itself must say they want to be covered, I am not sure but I think there are specific dates which they can request a "must carry" status if they miss those dates then they need to wait a year for those dates to roll around again.

·
Godfather/Supporter
444 Posts
Scott, I'm not sure either, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the station's decision on whether to request must-carry or to choose fee negotiation was for a three-year period or maybe four.

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
This is going to sound shocking I know but maybe if a lot of customers call and say they want something E or D will respond regardless of must carry.

having said this I made a request to my cable company years ago and they told me they were not interested in customer requests and would not even record my preference for a particular cable channel.

To tell you the truth I think that has a lot to do with my becoming a DBS customer. And I know you would think I would have a lotof pull with the cable company here on the reservation but it did not work that way.

·
Legend
181 Posts
DirecTV can add it if they want to. They'd need an agreement from WFMZ 69, Maranatha Broadcasting Company. WFMZ 69 the broadcast station elected mustcarry and is on Dish and DirecTV, but their Accu-Weather cable network is ineligible for mustcarry.

Currently Service Electric and RCN carry this Accu-Weather channel, but no Comcast system carries it.

WFMZ 69 is unhappy right now over the special equipment needed to get the station via Dish Network. I'm sure they'd be happy to offer DirecTV their cable channel, but I dont think DirecTV has even approached them for it. They are hundreds of stations out there, and many cable channels.

I have seen WFMZ's news and its pretty good for an independent broadcaster. In Philadelphia city, WFMZ news gets less than a 1 share and South Jersey even less. But In Allentown & Reading, how does WFMZ 69 News compare to with the Philadelphia newscasts in ratings? The Philadelphia stations CBS 3, ABC 6, NBC 10, FOX 29 have the network show lead-ins for their news. Plus they get retransmission and payment from the providers.

As an indy, WFMZ doesnt have network show lead-ins, retransmission bargaining power (like KOIN a CBS affiliate), and has to compete really against the big O&O Philadelphia stations that also cover Reading & Allentown but news is reported only when something "big" happens. WFMZ's news on the other hand are devoted to Reading & Allentown. Does WFMZ 69 News beat the local Philly stations in ratings in Allentown and Reading? I've been wanting to find this out.

I really hope they dont go under, and can financially survive and keep their newscasts.

They are one of the only few stations in the country, that's an independent (was never a long time network affiliate), UHF, not part of a duopoly, that has local news at 6am, 12 Noon, 5pm, 6pm, 10pm. Thats as much news as a network affiliate.

Plus Their UHF signal is Grade B in Philly, non existant in parts of South Jersey and DE. They dont compete directly for first run syndicated material with the other Philadelphia stations: CBS 3, ABC 6, NBC 10, WB 17, FOX 29, WGTW 48, UPN 57. They are an outskirt station, so although Philly is DMA #4 their coverage is much less. I wonder how they stay in business, but I hope they do and just dont become another useless local PAX or TBN feed. They do get large amount of Allentown & Reading advertisers though I see, and have to run ACN (America's Collectibles Network) and infomercials during weekends and after midnight.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the reply I got back from D*. WFMZ has not bothered to respond.

Dear Mr. Cavallomagno,

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your programming
suggestions. As you know we currently carry your local stations. we
would love to offer all of the local channels in all markets to our
customers. But because there are over 1,500 local channels, no national
television service currently has the capacity to carry them all. After
careful research, we are carrying the stations that serve the maximum
number of DIRECTV customers.

I have forwarded your WFMZ's local weather channel request to our
programming department. We do like to make changes because of valued
feed back such as this. We ask that you continued to visit us on-line
at:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/Headlines.jsp For the latest and
greatest news about DirecTV.

We would also like to address your concerns about the National feed of
the Weather Channel. Since DIRECTV is a national service provider, at
this time we are unable to feed local updates through the weather
channel the way that other local-based companies do. However, The
Weather Channel broadcasts regional forecasts every ten minutes in the
following intervals every hour: :08 Midwest, :18 Northeast, :28
Southeast, :38 South Central, :48 Southwest, :58 Northwest. Again, we
thank you for your time and continued support of DirecTV.

Josh
DIRECTV Customer Service

·
Legend
181 Posts
DirecTV and Dish Network only care to carry ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX affiliates and local RSNs due to capacity issues. They are not interested in regional cable news channels, and most other local programming and have been fighting mustcarry. WFMZ had to fight nail and tooth to get carriage.

If you want the most in local news or local weather, cable tv is the way to go.

Just here in Philadelphia DMA, the northern part like Trenton and Allentown get stations from New York. In Atlantic City, there is WMGM but not on DirecTV. In central PA, WGAL 8 is on some cable systems offering additional Pennsylvania related news. CN8 offers the only 7pm full hour live newscast, along with other local programming. Not on DirecTV. Weather Channel not local on DirecTV. WFMZ's accu-weather channel, not on DirecTV. News 12 New Jersey on some Northern systems, not on DirecTV. Metro channels on Cablevision outlets not on DirecTV.

I know in D.C. there is a NewsChannel 8 that is on most systems and its owned by WJLA 7's parent company Albritton Communications. Lot of markets have these type channels, but DirecTV and Dish are not interested in local news channels.

If you want most in variety programming for a good price, with PVR, then its hard to turn down satellite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.