DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I really need some quick help. I live in an apartment complex and they are under contract with att home entertainment. To make a long story short, they don't offer HD services. So, I bought a used H10 HD receiver on ebay, thinking I could just change the access card, and plug in an off air antenna to receive HD channels. Well, when I go to access card on the settings menu and try to change the card, it gives me a message that reads: "Access card not ready." Is it impossible to use a used directv receiver? Or is there some way to make this receiver work? All help is appreciated as I need a timely response in order to return this box if I can't use it. Thanks!

· Registered
4,880 Posts
First, welcome to DBSTalk!

Where did you get the other access card from? Access cards are "married" to the receivers, so you can't mix and match. D* may need to send you a new card. Did you call D* to activate this receiver yet?

Edit: Read your post too quickly. Are you trying to use this just for OTA signals?

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PoitNarf said:
First, welcome to DBSTalk!

Where did you get the other access card from? Access cards are "married" to the receivers, so you can't mix and match. D* may need to send you a new card. Did you call D* to activate this receiver yet?

Edit: Read your post too quickly. Are you trying to use this just for OTA signals?
The access card came with it, not sure if the vendor gave me the correct card. I tried calling D* to activate the receiver but they told me I needed to call ATT, and they don't have a customer support line on the number they gave me : ( My access card works in my old receiver fine, but the new receiver won't read it. And I'm trying to use it for D* and OTA signals

· Registered
4,880 Posts
spaniard12 said:
The access card came with it, not sure if the vendor gave me the correct card. I tried calling D* to activate the receiver but they told me I needed to call ATT, and they don't have a customer support line on the number they gave me : ( My access card works in my old receiver fine, but the new receiver won't read it. And I'm trying to use it for D* and OTA signals
Ok, so your AT&T service has a tie-in with D* service for TV? Trying to figure out exactly where AT&T comes into the equation. Access cards are married to receivers and can't be swapped, so the one that came with the HR10 will probably be fine.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct, its D* through ATT, and now D* doesn't want to help. They have some contract, where they are the only ones we can deal with in our complex... What ever happened to exclusive dealing laws....

· Banned
4,642 Posts
If DTV told him to call ATT I'm guessing he's in a MDU and DTV can't set him up due to his address. No matter where his card /receiver came from.

EDIT: Seems to be verified by spaniard12's last post. Seems an apartment complex is excluded from any type of monopoly rules. MDUs (Multi Dwelling Units) consist of an apartment complete contracting with a vendor (ATT in this case) and ATT contracting with DTV. Meaning the complex makes $$$, ATT makes $$$, DTV makes $$$ and the customers get screwed with higher $$$ than a typical customer not to mention limited service options. I'm sure there are others on this forum that can offer better info than I can on this matter, but in the end you're screwed and stuck going through ATT. Your address tells DTV you live in a MDU serviced by ATT. No way to get around that.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
spaniard12 said:
Correct, its D* through ATT, and now D* doesn't want to help. They have some contract, where they are the only ones we can deal with in our complex... What ever happened to exclusive dealing laws....
Your best bet is to probably call the phone # listed on your monthly bill and try to get to tech support from there.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, technically this receiver could work? Its getting a signal, but it will not read my card with my service information. I just need to know because I have little time to return it to the vendor on ebay if it won't work.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
spaniard12 said:
So, technically this receiver could work? Its getting a signal, but it will not read my card with my service information. I just need to know because I have little time to return it to the vendor on ebay if it won't work.
No guarantee that you will get the MPEG2 HD channels supplied by D* as that depends on what type of dish installed in your unit. However, it should work fine for normal D* reception and OTA for HD.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PoitNarf said:
No guarantee that you will get the MPEG2 HD channels supplied by D* as that depends on what type of dish installed in your unit. However, it should work fine for normal D* reception and OTA for HD.
Great, thanks for your help, I was just worried that it wouldn't work with my card since it was used. Unfortunately, I won't get the D* HD programming because they don't have the right dish. But desperate times call for desperate measures, hence why I got the OTA antenna. Thanks again!

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Just a question and not necessarily specific to spaniard's situation, but this reminded me of my question.

Is it easier (and cheaper?) to get a used D* receiver that has OTA capability to use for OTA than it is to get a used HD OTA receiver (that has nothing to do with D*)? I see a number of people posting here about getting a D* receiver to use for OTA and trying to get it to work when running into various problems (they don't want to activate it as a D* receiver, just use t for OTA, etc.).

Just seems to me it would be easier to just get an OTA receiver instead.

· Banned
4,253 Posts
If you can find a "Voom" reciever HD and they were disconnected from the dish before deactivated they will receive OTA HD for free. Check E-bay but first look for sites for info to make sure you get one that works (there's some stuff you'll need to know).

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
JLucPicard said:
Just a question and not necessarily specific to spaniard's situation, but this reminded me of my question.

Is it easier (and cheaper?) to get a used D* receiver that has OTA capability to use for OTA than it is to get a used HD OTA receiver (that has nothing to do with D*)? I see a number of people posting here about getting a D* receiver to use for OTA and trying to get it to work when running into various problems (they don't want to activate it as a D* receiver, just use t for OTA, etc.).

Just seems to me it would be easier to just get an OTA receiver instead.
Older D* receivers would work for OTA without a D* subscription. With the numbers of D* receivers sold VS. stand alone OTA the D* receivers are generally cheaper on ebay. Both the Hughes HTL HD and Samsung SIR-TS360 have menu options for OTA without satellite. I think these were the last generation that worked without a satellite signal.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.