DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Legend
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have given up for today trying to install my slimline. I'm very experienced installing the round and oval dishes.

No matter what I NEVER get any signal on the HR20. Does it even have a signal meter like the old recivers that BEEPs? It just seems to bring up a spreadsheet but never updates.

Is a signal meter (handheld) absolutely necessary?

I've got it all installed and all the degrees set per the ZIP code and started scanning back and forth, nothing. I feel there is something stupid I am doing wrong (cables are good as I used them this morning on my old reciver.

· DBSTalk Club Member
463 Posts
toy4two said:
Is a signal meter (handheld) absolutely necessary?
Given enough time and patience, you might be able to do it, but with a relatively inexpensive meter (around $100) it is so much easier, more accurate, and simple. I set up both an AT-9 and a Slimline using an Acutrac22 Pro meter, and it was almost a no-brainer. The full alignment took less than 15 minutes, and I was getting 90-100 readings on most transponders, including those on the Ka satellites. Get a meter -- you'll thank yourself in the morning ...

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Just use a regular receiver to get it close. My installer's meter wasn't working right when he instlaled my 5 LNB. So use used an old receiver and got 101, 110, and 119 in pretty good. If you have your tilt and so forth correct, 99 and 103 should come in just fine but then you may need to peak it from there. So at least using one of your other non HR20 receivers get the dish close, then peak from there.

· Legend
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok did a couple things, I put on the B-Band convertors. I am having a friend bring over his reciever so I can use it to find the 101 as a start.

I also found a sub menu in the HR20 that has the 101 signal meter and beeps, so no more spreadsheet.

I'll let you know how it goes!

· Legend
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
103 at 95 now :)
99 still nothing

I know the tilt is off since the 119 is still in the 80's, I know its 1 degree off. Once I get up there after the game I should have it all dialed in.

· Hall Of Fame
8,756 Posts
toy4two said:
103 at 95 now :)
99 still nothing

I know the tilt is off since the 119 is still in the 80's, I know its 1 degree off. Once I get up there after the game I should have it all dialed in.
Do you know which sat you get your locals are off of? I'm wonder if thats why you're not getting a signal on 99? So did you have help with this or did you just turn the TV up really loud and listen for the beeps? :D

· Legend
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theratpatrol said:
Do you know which sat you get your locals are off of? I'm wonder if thats why you're not getting a signal on 99? So did you have help with this or did you just turn the TV up really loud and listen for the beeps? :D
theratpatrol you were correct!

Turns out all my locals are off the 103. I was wasting my time trying to get the 99. I'm getting all my MPEG4 locals now.

Don't believe the hype, you can aim the AT9 without a meter, it will just take you alot longer. You will need another person. The unit NEVER beeps (bug?).

Thanks again all!:D

· DBSTalk Club Member
463 Posts
toy4two said:
Don't believe the hype, you can aim the AT9 without a meter, it will just take you alot longer.
Hype? I don't think *I* hyped it up -- I just said that it was a lot easier and quicker with a meter. Glad you got it working though -- that's all that matters!

· Icon
609 Posts
I used an old DirecTivo unit as my signal meter. Took a lhalf hour and have high Nineties across the board. The videos make it sound impossible but its as easy as the old round dishes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.