DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I did a search on this forum for this answer but I can't find it. Can you watch 2 recorded shows at the same time. My wife will want to watch her recorded HGTV shows on TV2, and I will probably watch my recorded sports games on TV1. Is this possible? Or you can only watch 1 recorded show at any 1 time? Thanks for the clarification. All the threads I found were asking if they can record 2 shows at once, and I know the 622 can.

·
Mentor
36 Posts
Yes, you can do that. Just make sure the 622 is in dual mode. If you want, you could also be recording up to three programs at the same time.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
RWATTS said:
Yes, you can do that. Just make sure the 622 is in dual mode. If you want, you could also be recording up to three programs at the same time.
Even if the software and other components of this unit will allow recording and playing of multiple programs. As a computer enthusiast, I wonder whether the hard drive disk heads could keep up with all the jumping around and also if the bandwidth of the drive interface would be met.
Has anyone actually tried this?

·
Super Moderator
53,150 Posts
One of the first tricks to try is record three HDs while playing back two different HDs (High Definition programs). The ViP-622 can handle it.

·
Legend
127 Posts
As a computer enthusiast, I wonder whether the hard drive disk heads could keep up with all the jumping around and also if the bandwidth of the drive interface would be met.
Has anyone actually tried this?
I agree it is pretty amazing, but I have to testify that yes it works just fine. In fact we do it ALL the time in my household. The kids will be upstairs watching a recorded show while we are watching a recorded show downstairs, while at the same time we are recording 2 or even 3 other shows. It is amazing that the single drive can keep up, they have some majorly sophisticated traffic management going on there.

One thing to remember too, is that even when you are watching live tv, you are really watching a recording, since you are generally watching the stream a split second behind the live feed on a DVR. That is so the pause etc functionality works. So you are pretty much ALWAYS watching at least 2 streams of recording shows at one time.

·
AllStar
87 Posts
Another cool thing, you and your wife can watch the same recording at different parts of the program on two tv's and it won't miss a beat.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
R_Childress said:
Another cool thing, you and your wife can watch the same recording at different parts of the program on two tv's and it won't miss a beat.
Wow, that is indeed very cool. :eek2:

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I remember when I got my first 6x or so CD-ROM drive... I was actually able to play 4 movies from the same CD without dropping frames. The 5th one killed the deal... and I couldn't play the same movie from the same CD in more than 2 different windows.

Still... using that as a memory example... and knowing how much faster the CPUs in the Dish receivers are than my old computer back then (a 486 120 or so MHz I believe) and not only are hard drive seeks faster than CD-ROM but the hard drives are much faster today than back then too... I'm not too surprised to see how much multitasking these receivers can do today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.