DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there ever a possibility DTV would ever carry Canadian stations in a package such as they offer for Chinese, Italian, Korean etc..?

The only thing I miss about my local cable company is that they carried CBC, CFTO, CHCH and a few more.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Redlinetire said:
Yea, CBC Olympics coverage would have been AWESOME.

The only time I miss cable...
My understanding from my Canadian friends is that the CBC just ran the BBC Olympics coverage. And to be honest, NBC did a lot better job this year, so the difference between what they got and what we got wasn't as big a deal as it used to be.

There's no way D* would ever be able to carry CBC or BBC Olympics coverage in the US. Rights are only for a limited are, and the CBC has no rights to carry Olympics coverage into the US. BTW, CTV has rights to the 2010 and 2012 Olympics.

As much as I'd like to see Corner Gas without borrowing the DVDs, I'm not sure Canada actually produces enough original content to constitute a package (disregarding the NHL, which they wouldn't have rights to bring to the US).

· Icon
794 Posts
Personally, The BBC did a 10x better job than NBC did with the Olympics. So much crap on tape delay and very little coverage of other sports like Judo, TKD, Archery, etc, but they can devote entire overnights of boxing(very boring to me and alot others I talk to) on MSNBC which would have been better served to show a variety of sports.

The sooner ESPN picks up the rights to the Olympics the better. They have stated they are going to bid on the Olympics in 2014 and 2016 and they promised not to tape delay anything. It's too bad they can't get the rights sooner.

· Hall Of Fame
5,510 Posts
Araxen said:
Personally, The BBC did a 10x better job than NBC did with the Olympics. So much crap on tape delay and very little coverage of other sports like Judo, TKD, Archery, etc, but they can devote entire overnights of boxing(very boring to me and alot others I talk to) on MSNBC which would have been better served to show a variety of sports.

The sooner ESPN picks up the rights to the Olympics the better. They have stated they are going to bid on the Olympics in 2014 and 2016 and they promised not to tape delay anything. It's too bad they can't get the rights sooner.
what about times when you need to tape delay it as the good sports may error overnight.

· Godfather
277 Posts
I get about 7 channels from Canada with the OTA tuner here. The guide used to show data for them but no longer. That said I rarely watched them as they simply simulcasted US channels most of the time. The Olympics was a different story they had good HD coverage and different events on the state tv channel. I must say that most of the time we are missing nothing unless you enjoy really cheesy movies and shows outside of primetime. You are not missing much.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Araxen said:
If you have DTV, then you had access to plenty of non-delayed Olympics on the other channels. Even in HD. I don't get the massive amount of boxing coverage either, but I would not have found Judo or TKD exciting either. Archery would have been nice.

Their comments were nonsense. You don't pay $1B+ to get programming just to air it when people won't see it. You need to sell ads to get the money back and you can't get that kind of money at 4AM or 12PM. I think ESPN's comments were more to the point that they won't tape delay stuff 3 hours for the west coast. Which of course they wouldn't, because they don't even have an ESPN West station. It's not like UniversalHD or MSNBC were tape delayed from East Coast to West.

I don't think you'll have to worry much about tape delay in the future anyway, even on NBC in 2010 or 2012. And by 2012, I think you'll be able to watch any event you want on the internet live. I think the technology will be available for 2010, but there aren't that many simultaneous events in the Winter Olympics anyway.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
carl6 said:
News from a different perspective. That is the one thing I would mostly like to see.

Carl
You can watch plenty of CBC news including video on http://cbc.ca/news

No need to wait for D* to pick up the ball for you.

· Godfather
318 Posts
Grentz said:
I just wish we could get a BBC News Channel and BBCA in HD (dont even know if it exists, but create it! :p )
I vote for BBC World...and BBC America HD when it finally comes into existence in the coming months. CNN International would be nice too. ;)

· Legend
140 Posts
kw2957 said:
I vote for BBC World...and BBC America HD when it finally comes into existence in the coming months. CNN International would be nice too. ;)
+1 on the news from a different perspective. I really miss NewsWorld International that DirecTV used to carry. Very good Canadain news, BBC re-broadcasts, a little bit of French and the European journal. I think the channel itself changed focus and became that brainless Utube-like thing called Current TV. Strangely enough, I belive it was owned by Al Gore.

I would also kill for some French coverage. There is a total of 25 minutes of regular French-language programming per day on DirecTV and it's from a local PBS station.

Dish carries TV5. Why can't DirectV carry it too? I am baffled. I write them every year and I get some non-sense reply. There has got to be more French speaking viewers in the US than a lot of those other languages they are carrying.

· Godfather
277 Posts
carl6 said:
News from a different perspective. That is the one thing I would mostly like to see.

Carl
Yes, the news was interesting but they have a mild anti American perspective that seems preachy and condescending plus it's a state run channel (CBC) so I am suspicious of the content for the most part.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
JJJBBB said:
Yes, the news was interesting but they have a mild anti American perspective that seems preachy and condescending plus it's a state run channel (CBC) so I am suspicious of the content for the most part.
And you think US sourced news is completely unbiased? You need to hear both perspectives, do some additional research on key issues, and then you can make an informed decision on what might really be happening. That is true anyplace, any country. You also see it happening with local stations. Watch the same news story on a Seattle (liberal western WA) and Spokane (conservative eastern WA) station and it is amazing how different the perspective is.

Carl

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
karlhenri said:
+1 on the news from a different perspective. I really miss NewsWorld International that DirecTV used to carry. Very good Canadain news, BBC re-broadcasts, a little bit of French and the European journal. I think the channel itself changed focus and became that brainless Utube-like thing called Current TV. Strangely enough, I belive it was owned by Al Gore.
That should have been enough to disqualify him from the Nobel prize. Of all the channels which have come and gone, that is the only one I really miss.

· Godfather
277 Posts
carl6 said:
And you think US sourced news is completely unbiased? You need to hear both perspectives, do some additional research on key issues, and then you can make an informed decision on what might really be happening. That is true anyplace, any country. You also see it happening with local stations. Watch the same news story on a Seattle (liberal western WA) and Spokane (conservative eastern WA) station and it is amazing how different the perspective is.

Carl
No. I think I said "mildly" not "completely".
To gain another perspective is how I have become aware. It seems it's mainly coming from one or two of their US based state tv employees who pass themselves off as relevant. I don't think they realize others are watching from the outside. They also have a young fellow named Mercer who has a really nice take in is show "Talking To Americans" or "The Mercer Report" also on the state channel. You may wish to check it out and see what I mean first. This was my additional research.

(FOX vs CNN is also a good US example you could say.)

· Banned
11,498 Posts
About 15-17 years ago, Time Warner carried channels 5, 9 and 11 from Toronto on cable, the Hockey coverage was great, and as a kid I enjoyed it because a lot of stuff shown on Disney Channel (premium channel at the time) was shown in Canada OTA. Then in 1999 when I bought an outdoor antenna, I was able to pick up a lot of channels deep within Canada. Sunday's were the best, it was like a poor man's NFL Sunday Ticket. Many channels would simulcast CBS and FOX NFL coverage and it wouldn't be the same as what the Buffalo stations were showing, and I was also able to pick up blacked out Bills games. Granted, the picture quality wasn't the greatest, but there was probably only a game or two a week that I wasn't able to see, not bad for free.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.