DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do have to cancel my DirecTV, but I am still under contract, is there any way around Cancellation fee? I am sorry if this question has already been answered, but I cant find it after doing search.

Thanks

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Not really unless you get a CSR that for some reason is willing to go around the rules. But if you have a good reason such as having to move and you can't get line of sight or something you might be able to convince them to waive it. Basically all you can do is play CSR roulette and try, but I'd ask to go straight to retention if they won't waive the fee. Can't hurt to try.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I moved and at the new place, landlord is not letting us to have DTV.....

bonscott87 said:
Not really unless you get a CSR that for some reason is willing to go around the rules. But if you have a good reason such as having to move and you can't get line of sight or something you might be able to convince them to waive it. Basically all you can do is play CSR roulette and try, but I'd ask to go straight to retention if they won't waive the fee. Can't hurt to try.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
whynot83706 said:
You have certain rights to have a satellite dish.

If you have a balcony or some area of "exclusive control", you can put up a D* dish and your landlord can't do anything about it.

google OTARD FCC to find the FCC's fact sheet about consumer rights regarding satellite dishes.

(sorry, not allowed to post links yet)

If the place you are moving is a historic building, or you would need to mount the dish on the roof to get line of sight, you may be out of luck.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
whynot83706 said:
I would ask the future landlord for something in writing that says you are not allowed to have D* in their unit. With that in hand I would again try to convince D* that this decision is largely out of your hands and that it is unreasonable for them to assess a cancellation fee under those circumstances.

Here is the link that djs mentioned. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
djsmokyc said:

If you have a balcony or some area of "exclusive control", you can put up a D* dish and your landlord can't do anything about it.

google OTARD FCC to find the FCC's fact sheet about consumer rights regarding satellite dishes.

If the place you are moving is a historic building, or you would need to mount the dish on the roof to get line of sight, you may be out of luck.
Now I can post links.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
djsmokyc said:

From I understand about these things, djsmokyc is correct. The only thing I might add is if for example this balcony does give you line of sight and you make a go of it, You still may not be able drill into any part of the structure.

But a 5-gallon bucket, 80LB. of concrete, and a 2" OD pole works wonders.
Doesn;t look so good, but it will work.
Small detail, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Good Luck.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont have balcony, I did not even realize before we moved in, i was thinking it wouldn't be a problem, and its now. I did talk to landlord and he simply said no, since I am going to be there for 12 months there is nothing i can do now. So i guess i will need to pay cancellation fee. How much is it anyways?

HDTVsportsfan said:
From I understand about these things, djsmokyc is correct. The only thing I might add is if for example this balcony does give you line of sight and you make a go of it, You still may not be able drill into any part of the structure.

Good Luck.

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
Tell D* your situation before you agree to anything, it is like $15.00 per monthe for every month left on your contract. Tell the landlord your situation, maybe you could mount the dish on a piece of plywood or an old entableor buy a tripod set up and run the flat wires under a window so yuo would not make anything permanent to the structure..... But he might not want everyone doing it if it is a multi family dwelling.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
whynot83706 said:
I dont have balcony, I did not even realize before we moved in, i was thinking it wouldn't be a problem, and its now. I did talk to landlord and he simply said no, since I am going to be there for 12 months there is nothing i can do now. So i guess i will need to pay cancellation fee. How much is it anyways?
Whynot....

There are guidleines, but you most certainly do have a right to put up a dish if you stay within those guidelines and there is nothing your lanlord could do about it. With that said, you need to decide if it's worth statring off w/ a bad relationship and the hassle of doing it. You could persue this if you felt it was worth the effort. You may not have line of sight anyway.

I can't speak of the cencellation fee. Everyone else offered good suggestions and approcahes to take w/ D*.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,167 Posts
I remember reading in my contract that there is an option to return all your equipment in lieu of paying the cancellation fee. Have you looked into that? I am curious myself because FiOS is supposed to become available in my area in the next few months and I still have a year left on my DTV contract. I plan to dump DTV in favor of FiOS.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
If the equipment is leased, you MUST return it upon closing the account or you will get hit with a "Non-Return" fee in addition to the cancellation fee. Under the lease model, returning the equipment doesn't mean you are not responsible for paying the cancellation fee ($12.50 a month for the time remaining). You used to be able to return owned equipment to D* and avoid the early cancellation fee, but I don't know if you can even do that anymore (if your equipment is owned, that is).

You mention you will be there for 12 months. Does that mean you will not be there beyond that? One thing you may be able to do is suspend your account. I don't remember exactly, but I think I've read here that you could suspend up to 9 months? And maybe call back near the end of that period and suspend for 9 more? I think I've also read that they are revising the suspension period to maybe 90 days so you would have to get solid information about that. Depending on how much time is left on your commitment, you may be able to suspend for that long (the clock on your commitment should keep ticking while suspended). If you can suspend for the remainder of your commitment period, it shouldn't cost you a thing to cancel at that point.

Of course, if you've already cancelled, your best bet is as others stated - if you can make a case that it's just not possible to continue service due to line-of-site or not being able to set up your equipment, etc., they may waive the cancellation fee.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:

Good Luck.
using two bases and 4 long bolts is much easier ;)

·
Mentor
44 Posts
I'm in the same situation as the original poster. I got a job and had to find a new apartment out of town within a short period of time. I tried to find an apartment with acceptable line of sight. My landlord allows satellite dishes on the balcony. Installer came and said that there was no way he could do it because of a tree, that I unfortunately thought was far enough out of the way.

Not only that, he told me that this would allow me to cancel with no fee. When I cancelled the service, the phone operator told me this same thing. He told me all I had to do was dispute the charge in writing and it would be taken off. I did that. A month later, I just received a letter saying my cancellation fee would not be waived.

My first two go-rounds with customer service since haven't been successful. They could only apologize for me being lied to. I guess I'll keep at it. Does anyone have another suggestion?

It's really a shame because I've been a DirecTV fan and #1 supporter since my father got D* 8 years ago.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Definitely if you are only there for 12 months and plan to have DirecTV again afterwords (assuming you can work this out) then as suggested above just put your account into suspend mode. You pay nothing per month but your account remains on file and you don't need to worry about termination fees and all that jazz. I think the default suspend period is 9 months but you can extend it as needed.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:
I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but I don't get it "using two bases".

Do u mean like wooden bases, satellite bases???
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's a nice way we mount dishes on balcony's if there is a metal railing. Use a base part of the mast [ the piece you bolt / nail into the structure] on the inside and one on the outside of the railing. Then use long bolts to tie them together.

Hope that is better

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Mertzen said:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's a nice way we mount dishes on balcony's if there is a metal railing. Use a base part of the mast [ the piece you bolt / nail into the structure] on the inside and one on the outside of the railing. Then use long bolts to tie them together.

Hope that is better
Ding Ding Ding....I Gotcha. I just won a biscuit.

Thanks.

That's interesting actually.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
The bottom line is that if your landlord doesn't have a safety reason to prevent you from installing a dish, he/she can't prevent you. Just talk to him reasonably. If he doesn't want to allow it, you can show him a copy of the FCC ruling and give him the option of a) relenting or b) having you report him. The downside of this is that he may not be the best landlord if he feels you are a nuisance tenant. If he doesn't abide by the law, you should probably be able to get out of your lease. I'm not a law expert, but tenants have rights and you're usually able to break the lease if he doesn't follow all renters' laws.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.