DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to cancel Dish Network due to a relocation (canceled instead of dishmove because we didn't know where we would be living at the time, when we'd even find a place to live (weeks? months?), etc...)

Anyway, after some good luck, we're in a new home and I put in an order online to have Dish Network installed at the new house.

On our old service I had the EHD service activated. I still have that EHD and all the saved shows on it. Will I be able to recover the shows on that EHD with my new service, or am I SOL because it'll be a new (different) account than what the EHD was originally on? Can Dish do anything to make it work? Anyone have experience with trying to transfer EHD data from an old account to a new one?

Just curious, as it would be nice to recover those recordings.

Thanks,
Shaun

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I think since it's a new account that the EHD will be worthless, meaning you will be forced to format the drive.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,518 Posts
Kent Taylor said:
I think since it's a new account that the EHD will be worthless, meaning you will be forced to format the drive.
When I first activated my EHD, I was told it would work on ANY 722...if I went to a friends, I could use it there. Was that false? If not, I don't see why he couldn't use it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,202 Posts
finniganps said:
When I first activated my EHD, I was told it would work on ANY 722...if I went to a friends, I could use it there. Was that false? If not, I don't see why he couldn't use it.
No, the EHD is tied to the account and not a particular receiver.

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Interesting question. Since you can move the EHD to different receivers on the same account, I assumed you could also move to a different account. However, I can see that DISH might not allow this. They would not want someone selling their EHD content to a another user that did not "pay" for the programming.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
P Smith said:
Doesn't matter - it's the same payment as for CD/DVD/ or Blu-Ray disk.
Your 6465th post is nonsense. lol

Read section H of your Residential Customer Agreement. :rolleyes:

Do you believe that you can make a copy of that DVD you purchased and give it to your neighbor? Or, for that matter, make a copy for yourself?

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,423 Posts
SaltiDawg said:
Your 6465th post is nonsense. lol

Read section H of your Residential Customer Agreement. :rolleyes:

Do you believe that you can make a copy of that DVD you purchased and give it to your neighbor? Or, for that matter, make a copy for yourself?
I smell another BS in your 1,582nd post here - taking your DVD to your mother's house! Isn't that simple ?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
P Smith said:
I smell another BS in your 1,582nd post here - taking your DVD to your mother's house! Isn't that simple ?
I assume that Section H contains a loophole pertaining to someone's mother? :lol:

·
Hall Of Fame
3,236 Posts
I would make a backup copy the EHD drive to a unix partion, or some other partion. There are a couple of threads about that, lookup DishARC. Call in get the EHD feature enabled, hook up the EHD, let it format the drive, and then restore one or 2 shows from the backup, and see what happens. I wouldn't copy all just one or maybe 2 as a test.
Only way I can see to getting the content off would restore it to a drive that is currently authorized and has a key on it for your new account.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.