DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no COAX "out" on my new HR22 DVR. There's every conceivable connection except the old, benchmark, standard coax.

I have an older TV in my bedroom which works great, but it has a coax "in" only.

Is there a converter that would convert component or line video/audio to coax?

thanks

-

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Chevy-SS said:
There's no COAX "out" on my new HR22 DVR. There's every conceivable connection except the old, benchmark, standard coax.

I have an older TV in my bedroom which works great, but it has a coax "in" only.

Is there a converter that would convert component or line video/audio to coax?

thanks

-
This thread might help you...

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Chevy-SS said:
Ah, OK, thanks very much. Glad to see there is an easy solution.................

-
RF modulators are available in most Kmarts, Walmarts, Best Buys, etc., etc. Check out a local Big Lots store or similar closeout chain.....RF modulators usually go for under $10 and you don't need to pay or wait for shipping.:)

·
Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
This is all about simple economics. The number of customers who would pay the up-front lease fees for an HD receiver, pay the monthly HD access fees, and then connect it via to their TV’s the lowest quality SD outputs is very, very small. I understand there may be good reasons for doing this, like connecting a second “slave” TV or just preparing to upgrade to HDTV and starting with the IRD first, but it’s just not something that is normally done. Even if the RF modulator circuit only cost an extra $5, why spend that when 99% of them would never be used?

As for leaving the composite and S-video connections, a large percentage of those may go unused, but without them there would be no way to connect an SDTV at all. Also, many customers use them for recording onto other media like DVD, SD video capture cards on their computers, or even (gasp!) VHS.

Deleting the ATSC tuners from the H(R)21 series was done along the same lines. As D* continues to add more and more HD locals, fewer people will have any need at all for this. They may miss some local HD content, like The CW network, PBS and the secondary channels, but few people will worry much about that. I am sure D* monitored how many people were actually using the ATSC tuners and eventually decided to drop them. For those that do feel they need OTA, D* does have the AM21 available and I doesn’t seem to be too hard to talk them into giving you one for free. If you have a good reason.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
If the units had an RF modulator, then the customer would complain that they aren't getting HD. I think it was determined that HR2x DVRs would be used with HDTVs with component or HDMI connections. Not to mention the elimination of NTSC. Thus no need for a modulator.

·
Godfather
522 Posts
SteveK2 said:
RF modulators are available in most Kmarts, Walmarts, Best Buys, etc., etc. Check out a local Big Lots store or similar closeout chain.....RF modulators usually go for under $10 and you don't need to pay or wait for shipping.:)
Don't forget Radio Shack, which has at least two different ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.