DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Let me think..... What would be a more difficult change to the existing software?
Store a copy of the guide data on the HD and upon boot reload that from the HD as opposed to the SAT...or...code and activate NIC drivers, a TCP/IP stack, a respectable firewall and a network host server to do this via the internet. Man, that's a tough one for me. :rolleyes:
Considering the fact that there is clearly already a working TCP/IP stack on the HR20, there isn't much more work to do. And you should know that storing the guide on the HD instead of RAM isn't as simple as it sounds.

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
Wolffpack said:
No one knows how much of a TCP/IP stack is "working" on the unit. I'd also not feel real comfortable giving an HR20 direct access to the 'net.
It's working well enough to grab an IP and advertise it's UPnP capabilities. And I wouldn't give anything direct access to the net, HR20 or not.
Wolffpack said:
As far as storing the guide on the HD, what's not simple about that?
It would probably involve rewriting a substantial amount of code that deals with the guide. Plus you'd get into speed issues. The HR20's guide is much faster than any Tivo's guide, and I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that the HR20 keeps the guide in RAM.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.