DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dual boot system, with XP Home on one HDD, and Vista Ultimate 64bit on another. When in XP, WMP11 starts and is seen by all of my HR2X's.
However, when in Vista, WMP11 is not shown in my list of computers (TVersity works), and when I open WMP, I get a message that "Media Sharing is currently disabled, either because the sharing service is not running, or your firewall settings have changed"....etc, etc, ect (homage to Earl):p .
I look around in Task Manager, and I see several Windows Media Server entries that all show to be active.
What should I be looking for here? I'd like to be able to use WMP as well as Tversity again, if possible.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Make certain the wmpnetwk service is running. That is the part that does the sharing.

Make certain the network firewall lets wmpnetwk share. (Control panel, Allow a program thru Windows Firewall [under the security section])

Cheers,
Tom

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, gents. However.....
In Services Management, when I try to start the service, I get an error message:
"Windows can't start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service on the local computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

I looked at the properties for the service, and it indicated that no dependencies existed for this service??? EDIT: Ok, I looked again, and I read it wrong...it shows that it depends on HTTP and UPnP. I then see that UPnP is not running; and attempting to start IT gets the same "Error 1068" message. Now I'm confused...

Tom: I'm not using Windows Firewall, preferring McAfee's, with the additional security of my router firewall. Anyway, I'm not at all sure that this is a firewall issue. Seems to be a configuration issue, to me...but what do I know???

· Registered
4,296 Posts
The "Media Sharing is currently disabled, either because the sharing service is not running, or your firewall settings have changed" is cropping up on more than a few systems... and no one seems to have a consistent repair for the problem.

Some of the possible solutions have been listed in this thread. Another thing you might look to is disable your antivirus/internet security software and see if the problem goes away.

I have exhausted a number of these things without a cure, but some have solved the problem. As for me I am preparing a "format C" option :)

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09
2,390 Posts
WERA689 said:
Thanks, gents. However.....
In Services Management, when I try to start the service, I get an error message:
"Windows can't start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service on the local computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

I looked at the properties for the service, and it indicated that no dependencies existed for this service??? EDIT: Ok, I looked again, and I read it wrong...it shows that it depends on HTTP and UPnP. I then see that UPnP is not running; and attempting to start IT gets the same "Error 1068" message. Now I'm confused...

Tom: I'm not using Windows Firewall, preferring McAfee's, with the additional security of my router firewall. Anyway, I'm not at all sure that this is a firewall issue. Seems to be a configuration issue, to me...but what do I know???
WMP NetSvcs depends on HTTP and UPnP
UPnP depends on SSDP

You have allow ports on whatever firewall for WMP and additional for any other devices or cross network access to remote files.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Wi...19d-4d7f-bef1-116cb711364c1033.mspx#section_3

Your router should do IGMPv3 (almost all built in the last 10 years do but just in case) and you probably will have to disable multicast filtering as it may cause problems. Also if you use IPSec - it won't work and if your network card is bound to IPV6 I found I had to unbind it - don't think my HR20 liked it.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LarryFlowers said:
The "Media Sharing is currently disabled, either because the sharing service is not running, or your firewall settings have changed" is cropping up on more than a few systems... and no one seems to have a consistent repair for the problem.

Some of the possible solutions have been listed in this thread. Another thing you might look to is disable your antivirus/internet security software and see if the problem goes away.

I have exhausted a number of these things without a cure, but some have solved the problem. As for me I am preparing a "format C" option :)
Seems kinda drastic, Larry! And I'm not sure it will help you, either.
Also, I need to remind y'all that WMP Media Sharing works just fine if I'm booted into my XP installation! I only have this issue if booted into Vista! I'm fairly certain that, beside the obvious, there is a clue in there somewhere...:sure:

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09
2,390 Posts
WERA689 said:
Seems kinda drastic, Larry! And I'm not sure it will help you, either.
Also, I need to remind y'all that WMP Media Sharing works just fine if I'm booted into my XP installation! I only have this issue if booted into Vista! I'm fairly certain that, beside the obvious, there is a clue in there somewhere...:sure:
On my wife Vista when it quit working I had to open port 2869 and unbind IPV6 and restart the HR20 - and that was all. And it still works as well as it can work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.