DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 HD boxes through DTV in my house. I record 3 shows on Monday nights and as you all know our DVR's only allow us to record 2 shows at a time. So I unhooked one of my boxes and moved into my main living room to watch 24. Everything was fine. I then moved it back to the normal location and got an error saying the Hard Drive was having issues. I have moved boxes around and never had an issue. Anyway, so I called DirecTV today and since I have the insurance plan was happy to know that I would be taken care of.

That's where I was wrong.

I told the rep that I had moved the box to a different room to watch my DVR. She told me I voided my insurance plan and now it was not covered. They were extremely kind and told me they would replace my box, but the new box would not be covered under the plan. I was real frustrated with this. Had I not told her about me moving the box I would have been covered. I asked to talk to a Sup. The Supervisor would not help me and told me he would send me a copy of the agreement. I told him that's great but was never told I couldn't move my box. In the end I had to get to the cancellation people to tell me they would keep my box under the plan. It was a frustrating deal. Either way, do not move your boxes. It voids anything you have.

So the point is I'm thankful they took care of me. But, I did learn I can't move my boxes around. I was frustrated that the department I talked to for my protection plan was as rude as they were. The Sup I got told me they never make exceptions and only go by the rules. Then he said he could cancel my account. I just don't get it sometimes.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,426 Posts
nitty316 said:
I have 7 HD boxes through DTV in my house. I record 3 shows on Monday nights and as you all know our DVR's only allow us to record 2 shows at a time. So I unhooked one of my boxes and moved into my main living room to watch 24. Everything was fine. I then moved it back to the normal location and got an error saying the Hard Drive was having issues. I have moved boxes around and never had an issue. Anyway, so I called DirecTV today and since I have the insurance plan was happy to know that I would be taken care of.

That's where I was wrong.

I told the rep that I had moved the box to a different room to watch my DVR. She told me I voided my insurance plan and now it was not covered. They were extremely kind and told me they would replace my box, but the new box would not be covered under the plan. I was real frustrated with this. Had I not told her about me moving the box I would have been covered. I asked to talk to a Sup. The Supervisor would not help me and told me he would send me a copy of the agreement. I told him that's great but was never told I couldn't move my box. In the end I had to get to the cancellation people to tell me they would keep my box under the plan. It was a frustrating deal. Either way, do not move your boxes. It voids anything you have.

So the point is I'm thankful they took care of me. But, I did learn I can't move my boxes around. I was frustrated that the department I talked to for my protection plan was as rude as they were. The Sup I got told me they never make exceptions and only go by the rules. Then he said he could cancel my account. I just don't get it sometimes.
I think you need to do a reboot and pull the power when the HDD spins down but that should not mess up the HDD as long as you don't drop the Box.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,874 Posts
I am/was unaware of any such restriction, and would like to see it in writing personally.

However, Multi-Room Viewing (MRV) is the answer to your problem. You can view recordings from any HD DVR on any other HD DVR or HD Receiver (except H20) that you have network connections between. Now MRV is in beta and once it comes out of beta you will need to subscribe to the feature. But at the moment it remains free in the test mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,858 Posts
One time I was talking to a CSR about activating a receiver, and I mentioned I was moving my owned box to a different room. I can't remember most of the conversation, but I mentioned that I knew not to move my leased box when moving boxes. They told me it would be OK if I called in and told them that I would be moving it, they just wanted to know about it.

Later I got a black TV and wanted to move my leased box to the room it was in to match. So I called D* and told them my intent.

The CSR might as well said "I don't give a d*** what you do with it, we don't care" the way he responded. I felt like I just was wasting our time even bothering to call, I was just doing what I was told to do by another CSR. He went on to tell me that the only issue would be if I disconnected it for "a long time" it would need to be refreshed online. I told him I had already moved it :D and it was working fine.

We hung up and I changed the label on my account online next time I was logged in. I have the PP too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,858 Posts
Oh when I was on the phone with the second CSR, he told me the part in the agreement about moving the box meant to a different address, and I was free to move my box around without calling in again.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
484 Posts
carl6 said:
I am/was unaware of any such restriction, and would like to see it in writing personally.

However, Multi-Room Viewing (MRV) is the answer to your problem. You can view recordings from any HD DVR on any other HD DVR or HD Receiver (except H20) that you have network connections between. Now MRV is in beta and once it comes out of beta you will need to subscribe to the feature. But at the moment it remains free in the test mode.
from the lease agreement....
You are responsible for the loss of or any damage to the DIRECTV equipment that you have leased from DIRECTV. You shall have no right to sell, give away, transfer, pledge, mortgage, remove, relocate, alter or tamper with the DIRECTV equipment at any time. DIRECTV PROVIDES YOU THE DIRECTV EQUIPMENT AS IS, AND MAKES NO WARRANTY, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE DIRECTV EQUIPMENT PROVIDED TO YOU. ALL SUCH WARRANTIES INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY EXCLUDED. DIRECTV IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RELATING TO THE DIRECTV EQUIPMENT PROVIDED TO YOU. In the event the DIRECTV equipment you have leased from DIRECTV does not operate, contact DIRECTV at 1-800-531-5000.
more than once i've closed a service call 'customer caused' when a customer moved an IRD and didn't know what they were doing, or accidentally dropped it, or didin't hook it back up properly.....
 

·
Geek til I die
Joined
·
9,821 Posts
Just another reason I think its a bad idea to pay for a protection plan. The leased receivers are covered without it, and for what you pay, you could buy a new dish every year, since thats the only thing thats really covered. Unless you are just totally uncapable of tweeking a dish and dont have any friends that could help, save your money.

Ive never read anywhere in the user agreement you couldnt move a box from one room to another, just not from one ADDRESS to another. Geeze, what next?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
484 Posts
matt1124 said:
Oh when I was on the phone with the second CSR, he told me the part in the agreement about moving the box meant to a different address, and I was free to move my box around without calling in again.
your right....

that provision is mostly the 'you break it, you buy it' clause for Directv. They don't care if you move an IRD around your home, right up until you take something that was working, and cause a truck roll because you moved an IRD, or a PI.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
156 Posts
Davenlr said:
Just another reason I think its a bad idea to pay for a protection plan. The leased receivers are covered without it, and for what you pay, you could buy a new dish every year, since thats the only thing thats really covered. Unless you are just totally uncapable of tweeking a dish and dont have any friends that could help, save your money.

Ive never read anywhere in the user agreement you couldnt move a box from one room to another, just not from one ADDRESS to another. Geeze, what next?
About a year ago I canceled the PP after they refused to replace an owned DirecTivo stating that I voided the unit by moving it from the living room to a bedroom after upgrading to HD(2 years earlier). Installer wouldn't move the DTivo. The DTivo was doing random reboots for several weeks and finally just stopped booting. The thing that pissed me off was that the DTivo worked just fine for over 2 years in it's "new" location and the PP dept. wouldn't budge. The unit was 4 or 5 years old at the time. It's not like the hard drive will last for ever.
On the bright side, after going in circles with them, I was able to get them to agree to give me a $100 credit for the HR22 I got from BB after hanging up with the PP dept.
As an afterthought--Are people moving their equipment exempt from the PP "moving" clause if it is done via Movers Connection?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
netraa said:
more than once i've closed a service call 'customer caused' when a customer moved an IRD and didn't know what they were doing, or accidentally dropped it, or didin't hook it back up properly.....
You mean you wouldn't even hook it up right for him if he connected it wrong? Gee, how hard would that have been for you?
 

·
blah blah blah
Joined
·
2,551 Posts
Reading that contract clause, it seems to me the context of relocate is not meant to mean within your own house. It's sufficiently vague to be an issue, though, and this has never occurred to me before. My wife and I have 5 bedrooms and a game room, she likes to switch things around a lot, and I have moved STBs quite a bit. Hell, by the strictest reading, you can't even rearrange furniture, if it results in your STB moving at all. This can't possibly be right.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
484 Posts
paulman182 said:
You mean you wouldn't even hook it up right for him if he connected it wrong? Gee, how hard would that have been for you?
Ohh, no. When i leave the system is working perfectly, and everything get's a once over, from the dish to the switch, to any wiring on the outside of the house, and all the jumpers on the house. If you think it's bad when we get a sinX on a install, you should see the uglystorm that happens when we have a repeat service in X days.

that doesn't change the fact that it still get's closed customer caused.

There are metrics out there that determine how much techs get paid and these effect those metrics. For example.... I went and did a simple little 2 box install the other day, HDdvr in the living room, standard in the bedroom. The next morning the wife closes the car door on her foot, and falls down the retaining wall on their driveway. End result, 1 broken left foot, one broken right leg, and one broken left arm. The wive is pretty much bed bound so the husband decides to be nice and drag the HDtv into the bedroom, take the dvr, the tv, _AND_ the power inserter into the bedroom and drags the standard into the living room. Well.... now the system doesn't work, they call Directv, I get backcharged for half my job's pay, and a huge hickie sin3 (service in 3 days) on my work record for the next 30 days. Sin 1-3's also get you a call from the regional manager, in person, asking you what you did wrong. Let me tell you how much you really, really hate getting those calls. So, the job should have netted me... let's say 40 quid, but, I got backcharged 20 quid for the service call, I also lose out on another 40 quid job because i have to roll out on this service call..... so in the end... that job cost me 20 quid to put it in.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
484 Posts
JeffBowser said:
Reading that contract clause, it seems to me the context of relocate is not meant to mean within your own house. It's sufficiently vague to be an issue, though, and this has never occurred to me before. My wife and I have 5 bedrooms and a game room, she likes to switch things around a lot, and I have moved STBs quite a bit. Hell, by the strictest reading, you can't even rearrange furniture, if it results in your STB moving at all. This can't possibly be right.
This is the way I explain it to my customers....

It does not void your cars warranty to change your own oil.

HOWEVER, if in the process of changing your own oil, you forget to put the drain plug back in, or put the wrong type, or quantity of oil in, and then proceed to blow the engine because you messed up... The dealership is going to laugh you right off the lot if you expect the car warranty to cover it.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
313 Posts
nitty316 said:
I have 7 HD boxes through DTV in my house. I record 3 shows on Monday nights and as you all know our DVR's only allow us to record 2 shows at a time. So I unhooked one of my boxes and moved into my main living room to watch 24. Everything was fine. I then moved it back to the normal location and got an error saying the Hard Drive was having issues. I have moved boxes around and never had an issue. Anyway, so I called DirecTV today and since I have the insurance plan was happy to know that I would be taken care of.

That's where I was wrong.

I told the rep that I had moved the box to a different room to watch my DVR. She told me I voided my insurance plan and now it was not covered. They were extremely kind and told me they would replace my box, but the new box would not be covered under the plan. I was real frustrated with this. Had I not told her about me moving the box I would have been covered. I asked to talk to a Sup. The Supervisor would not help me and told me he would send me a copy of the agreement. I told him that's great but was never told I couldn't move my box. In the end I had to get to the cancellation people to tell me they would keep my box under the plan. It was a frustrating deal. Either way, do not move your boxes. It voids anything you have.

So the point is I'm thankful they took care of me. But, I did learn I can't move my boxes around. I was frustrated that the department I talked to for my protection plan was as rude as they were. The Sup I got told me they never make exceptions and only go by the rules. Then he said he could cancel my account. I just don't get it sometimes.
So why even tell them you moved it? It is not working is all they need to know. You are paying them $72 extra a year so they take care of problems. It is not like you broke it on purpose and is doubtful that you caused the problem by moving it.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
935 Posts
So, my HR20 died earlier this week, they are shipping a new (refurb) receiver to me (today I hope). Using the logic of moving it, I shouldn't be able to open the box and install it myself. I think the quote above with regards to "relocate" is a bit strong. People rearrange their living room, bedroom, and entertainment rooms all the time, is someone implying that I need to call DirecTV to move my receiver?
 

·
blah blah blah
Joined
·
2,551 Posts
True, but no phone tech can make an assessment on an unseen product like that. The moving may or may not have had any impact whatsoever on the STB. Perhaps the STB was failing already, and the power cycle necessary for the move just pushed it over the edge. It just stinks that there is such an out like that.

These games are tiresome. DirecTV plays games, forcing their customers to play games, and the only people that win on this are um.... nobody!

netraa said:
This is the way I explain it to my customers....

It does not void your cars warranty to change your own oil.

HOWEVER, if in the process of changing your own oil, you forget to put the drain plug back in, or put the wrong type, or quantity of oil in, and then proceed to blow the engine because you messed up... The dealership is going to laugh you right off the lot if you expect the car warranty to cover it.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,401 Posts
If you follow the agreement to the letter, you can't even REMOVE a receiver. So you're breaking the agreement just disconnecting a box yourself and sending it back for replacement or whatever. They're ASKING for truck rolls because you can't touch your box, not avoiding them because you might drop it or connect it wrong.

One way to avoid any issues is whenever you relocate boxes, go online and update the location description to either reflect the new location or be so vague you can't tell where a particular box is located.

In any case, such language is really just to take them off the hook if you break the box while moving it. I'm sure they don't really care otherwise.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,044 Posts
IMHO, calling DirecTV to send out a tech just because I bought a new entertainment center and need to disconnect everything a move it to the other side of the room isn’t what that clause is supposed to prevent.

On the other hand, having three DVRs at my house and giving one to my daughter who moved three miles away and keeping it on my account is the kind of scenario this is supposed to prevent.

Mike
 
1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top