DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my HR20 about a week ago, and have noticed something. With my tivo, I could set the channels I subscribe to, and it would not try to record shows on channels I don't receive. When trying to set these channels up on the HR20, I can't seem to. It displays the channels I receive, but it defaults to all channels, and won't let me change them. Am I missing something? At the top of my list is an auto record of "UFC". It currently has 38 upcoming episodes, all of which are PPV re-broadcasts. On the tivo, I could delete the PPV channels from my "receive" list, and it would not put the PPV channel content in my todo list. Is there a trick to do this on the HR20 I am not seeing?:confused:

Thanks

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
No, there is no trick you are missing.

Channels I Receive reports all channels... it is not currently functioning as you would expect it would.

The closest you can come, is to setup your favorites lists.
But those will only filter the guide data... not your search list.

· Icon
731 Posts
This has GOT to change... it doesn't just affect searches, but a number of my autorecords nab content I cannot view.

Really crazy that this is like this.. I would hope D* has this on top of the pile.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
Agreed. I hope this is a high priority bug. It's crazy searching through all of the national HD channels that I don't receive when setting up Series Links and stuff. But I guess it's been "broken" on the R15 SD DVR since Day 1, too.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
drjenk said:
With my tivo, I could set the channels I subscribe to, and it would not try to record shows on channels I don't receive. When trying to set these channels up on the HR20, I can't seem to. It displays the channels I receive, but it defaults to all channels, and won't let me change them. Am I missing something? At the top of my list is an auto record of "UFC". It currently has 38 upcoming episodes, all of which are PPV re-broadcasts. On the tivo, I could delete the PPV channels from my "receive" list, and it would not put the PPV channel content in my todo list. Is there a trick to do this on the HR20 I am not seeing?:confused:
Thanks
Welcome to the Channels I Get Bug!

This is one of 6 key features from the HR20 manual that are broken. They are documented here:

HR20 Defects

The Channels I Get bug is nasty for so many reasons. First, here is what the manual promises the HR20 will do:

"In addition to displaying all channels or creating lists of favorite channels, you can also set your D* Plus Receiver to display only the channels that are in your current subscription package." p. 31.

That's just like my old Sony T60! How cool is that! 6-year-old technology is great!

Say I want it to record upcoming Chicago Bears games. Sounds simple. Do a keyword search (Wishlist) on Chicago Bears.

The joke is on you! The HR20 will proudly list PPV and subscriptions. Channels you don't even receive!

Here is where it gets even more fun. The HR20 does filter out hundreds of channels that you don't get. It will not try to record Miami, Dallas, or hundreds of other local market channels unless you live there.

So the HR20 can and does filter out channels you don't get! It just won't filter out SOME of the channels.

You don't dare use Autorecord because it is based on the broken Search that is based on the broken Channels I Get.

So what does D* gain from programming up the Channels I Get Bug?

Money. Lots of money.

Say I go away for Thanksgiving and leave the trusty HR20 to record Da Bears. What it will Autorecord will be the Pay Per View even though I got it on a local channel for free!

I come home and want to see my game. A message pops up that I will have to pay! Am I enough of a Bears fan to pay the ransom for my free game?

The Channels I Get bug is not a bug. It is a cash cow!

Here is the proof. It used to be that you had to pay for a PPV BEFORE you recorded it. But that makes the Channels I Get bug useless. So now you pay when you later VIEW what the HR20 Autorecorded.

Happy Thanksgiving!

- Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.