DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two HR20 receivers. One of these has two lines coming in (living room) and the other has one line coming in (office) which are all high def.

If I am watching local channels over HD (NBC, ABC, CBS etc) on one tuner and another tuner tunes to one of the DirecTV HD channels (70-79 or 98) it severly degrades the signal of whatever tuner is getting local HD channels.

So for instance if I am watching NBC HD in the office and my wife turns on HDNet it kills my NBC signal causing pixelation and a message about "searching for signal". If we reverse it and watch local HD in the living room and DirecTV HD channels in the office the same thing happens to the one watching local HD. This can also be said about the dual tuner one.. If one channel is on local HD and the other is recording DirecTV HD the local HD doesn't work.

I have had 5 visits from DirecTV and no one has been able to figure out the problem. They are now telling me to return both my HR20's for replacement which I know isn't the problem as I was using one of them before they gave me the new 5 LNB dish without ever having a problem. I'm on my second multiplexer as well which doesn't help either. They have checked the signals which are all excellent at 90+ even when the problems are ongoing.

If I am watching local HD on all 3 tuners they work just fine, its only when one goes to the DirecTV HD that it gets screwed up on the others.

Is anyone else having this problem in running two HR20 receivers or lines? No one at DirecTV or any of the 5 installers I've seen have been able to figure it out.

Thanks for any help,

Brad

· Registered
4,880 Posts
Very odd scenario you're describing. What's your wiring like? Sounds a lot like a multiswitch or LNB issue, but since you said they already replaced both of those I'm kind of at a loss with why you're experiencing that.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
I have two receivers on my setup, but I am not having the same issues as you.

How long are your runs between your HR20's and the multiswitch.

Do you have any other receivers in the house, as for what you listed... you don't need a multiswitch.

Have you tried by passing the multiswitch, and hooking the boxes directly to the dish.

Do you happen to have the b-band converters on those boxes, if so... take them off and save them till later.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
I have two receivers on my setup, but I am not having the same issues as you.

How long are your runs between your HR20's and the multiswitch.

Do you have any other receivers in the house, as for what you listed... you don't need a multiswitch.

Have you tried by passing the multiswitch, and hooking the boxes directly to the dish.

Do you happen to have the b-band converters on those boxes, if so... take them off and save them till later.
I've got 4 dedicated lines coming into the house from the dish. When we try to run it without the multiswitch in between we get the "searching for signal" at a much higher rate than without it while still having the pixelation problem. If anyone of these lines is running by itself it displays every channel perfectly, the problem pops up when another line comes in at the same time. As far as DirecTV is concerened that makes it not their problem as they will work one at a time and all signals are strong.

As far as distance goes, there is about 35ft between the dish and the multiplexer and where the lines goes into the house. From there I would guess about 40ft maximum to each TV. I had the house prewired with 4 cable lines which are all in use. Two in living room and one each in office and master bedroom. The master bedroom has a standard DVR which doesn't have any problems at all. Its just the local channels or HD which are problematic, the satellite HD and normal channels are clear no matter what.

I've tried both with and without the b-band converters without any difference in experience.

Thanks for such a quick response, I've been checking your site daily for months but a first time poster.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brad M said:
I've got 4 dedicated lines coming into the house from the dish. When we try to run it without the multiswitch in between we get the "searching for signal" at a much higher rate than without it while still having the pixelation problem. If anyone of these lines is running by itself it displays every channel perfectly, the problem pops up when another line comes in at the same time. As far as DirecTV is concerened that makes it not their problem as they will work one at a time and all signals are strong.

As far as distance goes, there is about 35ft between the dish and the multiplexer and where the lines goes into the house. From there I would guess about 40ft maximum to each TV. I had the house prewired with 4 cable lines which are all in use. Two in living room and one each in office and master bedroom. The master bedroom has a standard DVR which doesn't have any problems at all. Its just the local channels or HD which are problematic, the satellite HD and normal channels are clear no matter what.

I've tried both with and without the b-band converters without any difference in experience.

Thanks for such a quick response, I've been checking your site daily for months but a first time poster.
I forgot to note.. I asked the installer today about installing a new dish or LNB. His response was that since he was getting 90+ signal from the LNB on every TV it means the LNB is working good. I asked if it could be "overloaded" when DirecTV HD and local HD tuned at the same time and he replied that was impossible. I don't want to send back DVR's which seemed to work just fine before they put in the 5 LNB dish only to get new ones which will do the same thing.

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
Brad M said:
I had the house prewired with 4 cable lines which are all in use.
Is this good quality cable? i.e. 3Ghz RG-6 with copper center conductors? Sometimes those "prewires" can be sketchy unless you're very specific about the quality.

I dont know if that necessarily explains why a single tuner line would work fine, but a dual tuner setup would not, but it's always possible.

Plus your installers wouldn't likely have checked your pre-wired cable (at least inside the house) for quality control. Very strange issue indeed.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
Brad M said:
I've got 4 dedicated lines coming into the house from the dish. When we try to run it without the multiswitch in between we get the "searching for signal" at a much higher rate than without it while still having the pixelation problem. If anyone of these lines is running by itself it displays every channel perfectly, the problem pops up when another line comes in at the same time.
So this even occurs with the multiswitch out of the picture? Definitely sounds like a defective LNB (keep in mind that the LNB assembly on the 5LNB dishes have their own built in multiswitch). Just to be thorough, which brand / model multiswitch do you have installed?

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Canis Lupus said:
Is this good quality cable? i.e. 3Ghz RG-6 with copper center conductors? Sometimes those "prewires" can be sketchy unless you're very specific about the quality.

I dont know if that necessarily explains why a single tuner line would work fine, but a dual tuner setup would not, but it's always possible.

Plus your installers wouldn't likely have checked your pre-wired cable (at least inside the house) for quality control. Very strange issue indeed.
Hi,

The last guy who was here actually went up into the attic and checked all the lines for breaks or splitters but didn't find anything amiss. My house was just built this past March and the cables seemed to be decent. I've been running dual tuner HD since then HR10 with no problem since march, these problems just popped up when I got the new dish and added the HR20 as a second line and replaced the HR10 with a 20.

I don't know what to do at this point... Would anyone suggest having DirecTV come and do the LNB's over again? I'm not sure if they even will, this guy today was supposed to but didn't even bring anything but a new multiswitch.

4,480 Posts
For sure PoitNarf. I assumed with 5 installers they would have noticed whether it was the WB68 or not, but stranger things have happened. He did say the installers said the LNB was fine, but it was only checking one at a time and not used together? This is a weird one for sure.

PoitNarf said:
So this even occurs with the multiswitch out of the picture? Definitely sounds like a defective LNB (keep in mind that the LNB assembly on the 5LNB dishes have their own built in multiswitch). Just to be thorough, which brand / model multiswitch do you have installed?

4,480 Posts
Hmmm. OK then def check if the switch is in fact the Zinwell WB-68. Also - describe the "pixelation". Is it severely weakened signal that appears to freeze or more like "ghosting", i.e. like 2 channels are mixing together?

As far as D*, you likely leased the equipment, so you're not actually "paying" for the hardware, you're paying for the service. If the service is not working, you have every right to demand they at least try a new LNB assembly on that dish, or a whole new dish and LNB altogether.

Brad M said:
Hi,

The last guy who was here actually went up into the attic and checked all the lines for breaks or splitters but didn't find anything amiss. My house was just built this past March and the cables seemed to be decent. I've been running dual tuner HD since then HR10 with no problem since march, these problems just popped up when I got the new dish and added the HR20 as a second line and replaced the HR10 with a 20.

I don't know what to do at this point... Would anyone suggest having DirecTV come and do the LNB's over again? I'm not sure if they even will, this guy today was supposed to but didn't even bring anything but a new multiswitch.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Canis Lupus said:
Hmmm. OK then def check if the switch is in fact the Zinwell WB-68. Also - describe the "pixelation". Is it severely weakened signal that appears to freeze or more like "ghosting", i.e. like 2 channels are mixing together?

As far as D*, you likely leased the equipment, so you're not actually "paying" for the hardware, you're paying for the service. If the service is not working, you have every right to demand they at least try a new LNB assembly on that dish, or a whole new dish and LNB altogether.
Hi, the pixelation is best described like this.. Picture and audio will freeze and a lot of times a good portion of the screeen will turn gray. Sometimes there will be open areas where you can see the frozen picture underneath. It doesn't appear to be merging channels together. Other times its not as bad and only 10-40% of the screen will pixalize. I would say its almost like the signal doesn't have the bandwidth to handle both the local HD and Sat HD at the same time. Either one seperatly is no problem even on muliple TV's but not together.

The multiswitch they put in is as follows

Zinwell Wide Band 6x8 MultiSwitch
Part # WB68

4,480 Posts
Request an LNB replacement as suggested by PoitNarf. This seems like the best bet, especially since you had no problems before the AT-9 dish install. Good luck.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
I maybe dumb here, but is a multi-switch even needed? He only has 3 lines, right? Can't he go straight dish to units? It worked here.

4,480 Posts
Do you have 2 receivers? He has 3 from what he described (so that would be 4 lines), so not sure it would work without the switch. Someone else might chime in though.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
Do you have 2 receivers? He has 3 from what he described (so that would be 4 lines), so not sure it would work without the switch. Someone else might chime in though.
Yes, the AT9 dish should have 4 outputs, so a switch is not necessary

· Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
It sounds like one of the lines between the dish and the multiswitch might be bad. Get 4 barrel connectors. Remove the multiswitch and jumper the lines from the dish directly to the receivers. See if everything works. My bet is one (or more) of your receivers will have a problem. Troubleshoot that line.

Carl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.