DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware if Canada's two main channels (CBC and CTV) are available from any DBS providor in the United States.

So far, my search has turned up zilch.

David in Tulsa, OK.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
CTV and CBC are not on either US DBS provider, and most likely will never be due to copyrights and programming rights. A grey subscription to *C or BEV are needed to get CBC and CTV.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Star Choice and Bell Express Vu, the two Canadain DBS Providers. You can subscribe to local packages, but I don't believe there are National feeds of CTV and CBC available on the 2 systems.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
I just had my ExpressVu turned back on and am glad I got it back. :) The MTV music awards were shown uncensored today (not that it was worth watching) and the Osbornes will be show without the bleeps as well.

Why is it that the Canadains can see American shows unedited while us Americans see the censored versions?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Becasue of the idea of 'Family tv'. I would like to see South Park unedited and see some of the scenes that had to be cut out, including scences from the movie that would have given it an NC-17 rating. I think Matt and Trey should do a direct to video release of the real South Park movie, hey who knows it might even end up on Global, if it would actually happen :)

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
G

·
In order to get as many channels as were free on CBand in the 80's, one must have 2 pizza dishes: 1 US + 1 Canadian - and then you still fdon't even get the full HBO package

·
AllStar
62 Posts
I could understand CTV not being on American DBS because of the amount of American shows being broadcasted. CBC should be a different story as they have mostly home grown Canadian programming and virtually no American programming.

Btw Scott did you watch the uncensored premiere of the Osbournes on CTV last night? :) They even had to bleep the commercials.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I also forgot about The Osbournes :(

G

·
Lots of the "F" word on CTV. Surprising that CTV got almost zero complaints about it. Did Buffalo cable companies black it out??

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I don't know, I'll try to find out though, It would be interestring to see what they did. Only the Adelphia systems carry 9 and 5. The TW systems used to carry 5, 9 and 11 years ago, but dropped them in favor of EWTN, C-SPAN2 and Animal Planet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.