DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we all know that CBS HD is far superior to FOX HD for football and I am assuming it has something to do with 1080i Vs. 720p.

But my question is why is CBS's 5.1 so much better. CBS audio during games is awesome. Is it micing? Is it equipment? Is not DD 5.1, DD 5.1 or is there a difference somewhere?

And by the way...good god can my Steelers turn the ball over any more than they do now...is it even possible..

·
Godfather
290 Posts
Blitz68 said:
OK, we all know that CBS HD is far superior to FOX HD for football and I am assuming it has something to do with 1080i Vs. 720p.

But my question is why is CBS's 5.1 so much better. CBS audio during games is awesome. Is it micing? Is it equipment? Is not DD 5.1, DD 5.1 or is there a difference somewhere?

And by the way...good god can my Steelers turn the ball over any more than they do now...is it even possible..
I sure know what you're talking about. I couldn't agree more. CBS is so head and shoulders above any other network. They're football coverage of the SEC on Saturday's and NFL on Sunday's is immaculate. I was watchting the Colts and Broncos yesterday and the picture was immaculate as well as the audio.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Sorry to disagree here, but ABC/ESPN HD blows away ALL the other networks. In my experience, the Fox HD is superior to CBS. I do think that CBS does have a good signal but I think the Fox football looks better on my setup than the CBS does. The Denver/Colts game did look darn good yesterday though.

Lowry

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lowry666 said:
Sorry to disagree here, but ABC/ESPN HD blows away ALL the other networks. In my experience, the Fox HD is superior to CBS. I do think that CBS does have a good signal but I think the Fox football looks better on my setup than the CBS does. The Denver/Colts game did look darn good yesterday though.

Lowry
LOL... U R kidding right :eek2:

ESPN & FOX are the WORST!!!

CBS & NBC are the best bar none... The other are not even in the same league.

·
Legend
147 Posts
Blitz68 said:
LOL... U R kidding right :eek2:

ESPN & FOX are the WORST!!!

CBS & NBC are the best bar none... The other are not even in the same league.
NBC is the worst for us. I could barely stand watching the Sunday night game. Every single wide angle shot with any kind of motion by the players would get pixelated and blurry. We've never had that problem with ESPN. ESPN has always had the best picture, followed up by FOX and then CBS.

·
Legend
122 Posts
Fox used to be better, but I have noticed a decline in PQ. Man did anyone catch The Bourne Identity in HD on CBS. That was beautiful! CBS hands down is the best.

·
Legend
122 Posts
Lowry666 said:

Lowry
Lemme guess do you own a 720p tv. Some 720p tv's have problems scaling 1080i content which may be the problem.

·
Legend
191 Posts
I have a 1080i, but have to agree with Lowry.
I would rate the ABC/ESPN HD as best, then Fox, then CBS/NBC. Not a whole lot of variance among them, but this is what my eyes see. None of them are 'bad' at all.
BTW; my local PBS is probably the best HD I have ever seen.
I always get a kick out of these debates. There are those that go by raw numbers and those that see it how they want to see it. There really is no way to properly quantify 'good' or 'better'. It's different for everyone.
The data rate with 720p and 1080i are very close to each other. I think that the progressive scanning works well with fast moving action, but that's just what my eyes prefer.
With HD, a poorly mastered program can look worse in HD than in SD. All of the imperfections are amplified. I just love when people say they won't watch TV unless it is in HD. Like saying I won't watch black and white programming because we have color. While I prefer HD, I think I would be missing a lot of good programming by staying hard and fast to that rule.

Nice avatar RyanM, but pelase tell me that's not your porch.

·
Godfather
306 Posts
Greenbay4 said:
I don't know that.:confused:
I don't know that. :nono2: As far as I can tell, FOX looks much better, and the sound is also comparable to CBS. The only time I am really making direct comparisons is during Sunday NFL games, and whether it's OTA or NFL ST, FOX usually lookes better.

I also don't know why...

·
Godfather
410 Posts
In Chicago I think the order from best to worst PQ and Sound Quality:

CBS - Great Picture _ Great Sound (Best Sound I have heard from any of the networks)
NBC - Great Picture _ OK Sound
ABC - OK Picture _ Great Sound (Close Second in sound during movies)
Fox - Pretty Good Picture _ OK Sound

Those are just the top four national networks above.

Independent Stations:

WGN - Very Good Picture - Very Good Sound (they lost a little ground when they added TUBE TV)
WTTW - Good Picture - Very Good Sound (Their picture was better before they went to 720P and added the extra channel)
WCIU - Very Good Picture - Stereo Only Sound (Only Cubs and Sox games are HD)
UPN/myTV 50- Don't know Don't watch (Station does have HD, but I have no desire to watch the programs)

The rest of the stations in the city are only Digital not HD, so I will not rate.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tzphotos.com said:
In Chicago I think the order from best to worst PQ and Sound Quality:

CBS - Great Picture _ Great Sound (Best Sound I have heard from any of the networks)
NBC - Great Picture _ OK Sound
ABC - OK Picture _ Great Sound (Close Second in sound during movies)
Fox - Pretty Good Picture _ OK Sound

Those are just the top four national networks above.

Independent Stations:

WGN - Very Good Picture - Very Good Sound (they lost a little ground when they added TUBE TV)
WTTW - Good Picture - Very Good Sound (Their picture was better before they went to 720P and added the extra channel)
WCIU - Very Good Picture - Stereo Only Sound (Only Cubs and Sox games are HD)
UPN/myTV 50- Don't know Don't watch (Station does have HD, but I have no desire to watch the programs)

The rest of the stations in the city are only Digital not HD, so I will not rate.
I agree with these in this exact order.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Blitz68 said:
I agree with these in this exact order.
And that is fine, but understand that it may well differ in other markets, based upon the number of subchannels carried by the network affiliates (and the technical competence of their staff in some cases).

CBS game broadcasts were superior to those of FOX here -- in previous years. However, our CBS affiliate has implemented a weather subchannel that takes up quite a bit of bandwidth; more than such a channel should. As a result, the quality of CBS' NFL and SEC games here has noticably deteriorated, and I would now have to rank them below games presented on our FOX affiliate.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bwaldron said:
And that is fine, but understand that it may well differ in other markets, based upon the number of subchannels carried by the network affiliates (and the technical competence of their staff in some cases).

CBS game broadcasts were superior to those of FOX here -- in previous years. However, our CBS affiliate has implemented a weather subchannel that takes up quite a bit of bandwidth; more than such a channel should. As a result, the quality of CBS' NFL and SEC games here has noticably deteriorated, and I would now have to rank them below games presented on our FOX affiliate.
I am also noticing CBS's audio & video are light years ahead of FOX on NFLST HD of course.

·
Icon
869 Posts
bwaldron said:

We are all forgetting the one fact that CBS doesn't broadcast ALL of their games in HD. I believe only three every Sunday get broadcasted in HD. How can we even compare if a majority of their games are just broadcasted in 480P. Last time I checked FOX, NBC, and ESPN broadcast ALL of their games in HD. And NFL Network will do the same come November.

When will the AFC get the same love as the NFC?

·
Mentor
45 Posts
packfan909 said:
We are all forgetting the one fact that CBS doesn't broadcast ALL of their games in HD. I believe only three every Sunday get broadcasted in HD. How can we even compare if a majority of their games are just broadcasted in 480P. Last time I checked FOX, NBC, and ESPN broadcast ALL of their games in HD. And NFL Network will do the same come November.

When will the AFC get the same love as the NFC?
FOX doesn't broadcast all of their games in HD either. This is a quote from their website.

FOX Sports' 2006 NFL broadcast schedule once again boasts an unmatched offering of high-definition programming. Starting with three preseason broadcasts in August, six games each week during the regular season and complete coverage throughout the NFL postseason for the third straight year, FOX Sports presents 104 games in 720p high-definition this season, representing 90 percent of all games covered. FOX Sports remains the only NFL broadcaster to produce as many as six NFL regular season games in HD each Sunday.

So if there are more than 6 NFC games in a particular weekend (after this weeks bye weeks) starting 11/12 you wont see all the FOX games in HD.

·
Icon
869 Posts
brianr4666 said:
FOX doesn't broadcast all of their games in HD either. This is a quote from their website.

FOX Sports' 2006 NFL broadcast schedule once again boasts an unmatched offering of high-definition programming. Starting with three preseason broadcasts in August, six games each week during the regular season and complete coverage throughout the NFL postseason for the third straight year, FOX Sports presents 104 games in 720p high-definition this season, representing 90 percent of all games covered. FOX Sports remains the only NFL broadcaster to produce as many as six NFL regular season games in HD each Sunday.

So if there are more than 6 NFC games in a particular weekend (after this weeks bye weeks) starting 11/12 you wont see all the FOX games in HD.
Guess I haven't noticed since all of the games I have watched on FOX have been in HD. And the few AFC contests I have watched were in SD only. I was shocked when the Tampa Bay v Cinci game was not broadcast in HD. Also shocked that Cinci lost the game.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
packfan909 said:
Guess I haven't noticed since all of the games I have watched on FOX have been in HD. And the few AFC contests I have watched were in SD only. I was shocked when the Tampa Bay v Cinci game was not broadcast in HD. Also shocked that Cinci lost the game.
Yeah, I agree only 3 games per week is pretty lame. I think CBS loses some of it's ability to cover an extra NFL game by showing the SEC games in HD on Saturday. Not that I have a problem with the college games in HD it is just time for them to buy more equipment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.