DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Godfather
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to a scrolling message being run over CCTV-9 a few minutes before and after the hour, Directv will no longer be carrying that channel after 8/25/08. Although it's not one of the best of the genre, it's sad to see another source of international news being discarded by the Directv platform. Hopefully, they'll replace it with BBC World or another good source of international news coverage

· Godfather
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DodgerKing said:
What is CCTV-9? I have never heard of it...
It's the English language channel of China Central TV and has been on D* for many years on ch 455.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Too bad we won't be able to watch the Chi-Com's propaganda anymore..

· Godfather
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
n3ntj said:
I wondered who the first one would be to make that kind of comment. :nono2:

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
n3ntj said:
Well we might be able to see the troops wig out during the Olympics....in English before the channel is removed.

· Hall Of Fame
2,561 Posts
Sorry, but I am with n3ntj.

Chinese Communist TV is the product of a murderous closed society that does not permit free expression of religious, political, ethnic, or lifestyle choice opinions different from it own. Its "god" (Mao) is a man who is accepted by all legitimate historical scholars to have directly killed at least as many as Hitler or Stalin.

No loss.

· Legend
246 Posts
SamC said:
Sorry, but I am with n3ntj.

Chinese Communist TV is the product of a murderous closed society that does not permit free expression of religious, political, ethnic, or lifestyle choice opinions different from it own. Its "god" (Mao) is a man who is accepted by all legitimate historical scholars to have directly killed at least as many as Hitler or Stalin.

No loss.
Well, I enjoyed some of the programming from time to time. The Chinese lessons were pretty good.

BTW, Mao killed way more than Hitler, and probably 20 million more than Stalin. No one is sure of the exact numbers.

· Legend
162 Posts
oldcrooner said:
According to a scrolling message being run over CCTV-9 a few minutes before and after the hour, Directv will no longer be carrying that channel after 8/25/08. Although it's not one of the best of the genre, it's sad to see another source of international news being discarded by the Directv platform. Hopefully, they'll replace it with BBC World or another good source of international news coverage
That reallysucks

It is Chinese Communist propaganda...I know that!
BUT it is always useful to hear what the opposite side is saying to the world, especially when what most gadgets that you own are made by them and they (for the next 17 days) control something called the Olympic Games.

· Godfather
385 Posts
The whole fun of watching CCTV-9 was the propaganda! You don't need to tell me that it's coming from a country that's killed more than Hitler or Stalin. (Don't forget the Japanese...parts of Manchuria are still scarred from chemical weapons experimentation in the region.) I don't care about that. I don't think there are too many people on this forum that would watch CCTV-9 expecting straight, non-biased news. I don't think anyone watching the news on channel 455 is that naive.

What's sad is that there's a lack of international news. For me, it's not about the quality of the news, so much as it is the international exposure. It's nice being able to see the news primarily about a different country. It would be nice if we could have more news channels like that.

Maybe a little of topic, but I think it's related, it's just the case with Al-Jazeera English. I actually want to see the station, because it's been called a "terrorist sponsoring network." I want to see what they're talking about. I want to see how they cover the news of the Arab world, just like I want to watch CCTV-9 to see how they talk about events in China. I want to see how both stations cover American events.

For me, it's not about the politics. It's about just seeing what the other side is talking about.

· Icon
927 Posts
ercjncprdtv said:
That reallysucks

It is Chinese Communist propaganda...I know that!
BUT it is always useful to hear what the opposite side is saying to the world, especially when what most gadgets that you own are made by them and they (for the next 17 days) control something called the Olympic Games.
Not to mention they are one of the few reasons our government continues to function, since they buy an awful lot of our government issued debt.

· Hall Of Fame
1,336 Posts
This thread has wandered enough OT we'll probably bump up against moderation sooner or later. I just have to chuckle over the parochial fear of global understanding wafting through here.

In the era of the Web, it's easy as "The Google" to look around the world and see what people say and think.

Example: In most of the world of journalism, Aljazeera is actually referred to as the CNN of the Middle East.

Example: In most of the world, the contempt displayed here towards China exists in spades - towards the United States.

Not the result of some terribly talented propaganda crafted in a secret castle. It happens as the result of politics as practiced by the folks that most of y'all have been voting for since 1948.

Nor do I expect any realization on anyone's part that - golly gee, maybe I should read something deeper than USA Today or watch something grittier than network talking heads. Nations are populated with civilians more afraid of change than their leaders. Pretty much all nations.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.