DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· DBSTalk Club Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another crazy question. Is it possible for a cell phone tower to be interfering with my DirecTV system? I live about 1/2 mile from one and I'm between the tower and a major highway. Has anyone else had such a problem or are any of you in the near field of cell towers?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
It is extremelly unlikely that you would experience interference that would effect the DirecTV signal. I guess "nothing is impossible", but I'd be willing to bet that isn't what you are experiencing.

What type of problem do you have, what are the symptoms. Tell us about your system (model of receivers/dvr's, type of dish, how it's wired, etc.) and what your problems are, and we can offer some suggestions.

Carl

· Legend
393 Posts
satwood said:
I have another crazy question. Is it possible for a cell phone tower to be interfering with my DirecTV system? I live about 1/2 mile from one and I'm between the tower and a major highway. Has anyone else had such a problem or are any of you in the near field of cell towers?

well, i have 5 receivers (2-r15s, 1 tivo unit, 2 non dvr units). there is a cdma tower 1/2 mile to my north, gsm tower less than 1/2 mile to my south.... i never had any problems with it in relation to my directv setup/receivers.

do you have a gsm phone by chance? i have noticed that my gsm phone itself causes all sorts of wierd interference in my tv speakers and causes "ripple effects" in my pc monitor, especially when its ringing / send-rec info. my cdma phone dont seem to cause that kind of interference.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
satwood said:

The only way it could cause you any problems is if it was broadcasting out of FCC specs.:) You could check your fittings and cable, stretching probability you might get some ingress interference in the 950-1450 mhz with bad cable connections or sheilding.

· Legend
229 Posts
satwood said:

I have no problems with mine. I have Sprint, Nextel, Cingular and I think Verizon sitting less than 50 ft from my dish. I live on the top floor of an apartment building.

· DBSTalk Club Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I am looking in the wrong place. My whole saga is listed in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72725. I have 2 old SD RCA receivers, one Samsung SIRT360 and one H20-100. The dish is a brand new AT9 now aligned with a meter. The two RCA receivers are flawless. The Samsung receives everything correctly until it gets to the highest transponder positions, such as 28-32 on 101 or 119. Then it breaks up and looses signal. I have blamed it so far on a bad receiver because it happens anywhere in the house. I plan to take it to a remote location and test it.

The rest of the situation is as I described. All cables are brand new double shielded with new fittings I have inspected many times and tested with a TDR. The H20 freezes and looses signal in any location in the house but mostly now during the day only. I can watch it all night without a problem. But, when the receiver says the signal is gone, it is fine on a satellite meter, indicating the receiver is seeing interference, not actually loss of signal. That's why I was fishing for the possibility of a cell tower problem.

I'm currently looking for a loaner Spectrometer to scan the area and the cables for signal that doesn't match the IF frequencies. It has to be either the wrong signals getting in, or some harmonic causing loss of data. The H20 has no tolerance, apparently, for losing data because it jumps to random channels, scrambles the guide, freezes, and other miserable things.

Oh well, thanks for all the responses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.