DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now when I press the TV Power On/Off buttons on my remote (the buttons on the upper right hand side of the remote) the action affects both my TV AND the HR20. Is there any way to have these buttons ONLY turn my TV on or off (i.e., not affect the status of the HR20)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Just slide the selector at the top to TV press the PWR button to turn the TV off but keep the HR20 on. Why do you want to keep the HR20 on anyways?

·
Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno - just been reading some rumblings about problems with the unit coming out of standby. I haven't experienced them, but I guess I'm just not used to turning the dvr "on" and "off" all the time.

I try to limit the amount of times I have to switch the slider. That's kind of a pain. ;)

·
Godfather
260 Posts
I never turned off my old Tivo and my wife has this "p-p-p-patience" problem so I leave mine on. I have read of problems with the "coming back to life" after turning them off.

Seems to me turning it on/off all the time is harder on it than just leaving them on. I know that I have less trouble with computers (especially hard drives) left on than the ones that I used to powered off all the time.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Power OFF is really standby....HDD is not shut down like PC so drive mechs and voltage hits on boot like PC. HOWEVER, it may help in an environment where heat is an issue....like closed cabinet. Even if you are OK....131F or below....might be good to turn OFF (Standby) to help component life.

Just a thought.

P.S. Before anyone asks.....why did I say 131F....because that is 55C which is threshold spec for most HDDs. Of course D* has never published what the temp monitor is really monitoring but to play safe. FYI.....60C (140F) is considered killer level for HDDs.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
jschuman said:
I dunno - just been reading some rumblings about problems with the unit coming out of standby. I haven't experienced them, but I guess I'm just not used to turning the dvr "on" and "off" all the time.

I try to limit the amount of times I have to switch the slider. That's kind of a pain. ;)
I'd get myself a Harmony remote, like the 628 for 50 bucks...I use that and I can do it all without messing around with extra buttons or slide switches. I have it set so I can't turn the HR20 off unless I go 3 menus deep. I have my Sammy DLP set up the same way (very hard on lamps to cycle on and off too much)

The base setup for my Harmony is volume controls my amp, channels control the HR20, Source switches inputs on my Sammy TV.

The only thing that isn't as handy with the Harmony (because I haven't made the effort yet) is the colored buttons.

Anywho, look at a harmony remote and see what you think.

·
Banned
614 Posts
My HR20 records regardless of whether I've turned it on or off. I can even shut it off while it's recording without problems.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
581 Posts
hasan said:
I'd get myself a Harmony remote, like the 628 for 50 bucks...I use that and I can do it all without messing around with extra buttons or slide switches. I have it set so I can't turn the HR20 off unless I go 3 menus deep. I have my Sammy DLP set up the same way (very hard on lamps to cycle on and off too much)

The base setup for my Harmony is volume controls my amp, channels control the HR20, Source switches inputs on my Sammy TV.

The only thing that isn't as handy with the Harmony (because I haven't made the effort yet) is the colored buttons.

Anywho, look at a harmony remote and see what you think.
Or spring for the 880 - (I have both and the 880 is worth the extra money)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.