DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I've been a DIRECTV customer for only 3 years but I couldn't be happier with my service.

But after spending some time on DBSTalk (mostly lurking) I'm a little paranoid.

I currently have the Choice Xtra + HD DVR package with HBO, MAX, Starz and SHO.

When I go online to my account it shows that every single package online is cheaper (except for Premier). I want to change my package to something cheaper to save a few bucks but I intend on keeping my premium channels.

What's the catch?
Am I getting hit with some different fee? will I enter a new commitment?

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
There are generally no fees with changing programming, and no commitment. The only exception is that you must keep a premium for a minimum amount of time or else there's a $10 fee, to prevent people from only carrying it for one might a week.

The other catch is if your package is no longer offered, once you leave it, you can not go back. Though with the price changes it seems they are forcing us anyway.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Best thing to do is call customer service and discuss with them what options you have. That is what I did and i feel like they gave me a pretty good deal. More than likely, they will also offer you some kind of credits for the next 6 months. They do not require you to sign up for a new commitment, but they do not want you remove premium services in less than 30 days or they may charge you a $10 service charge.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,510 Posts
billyinlasvegas said:
Let me start by saying that I've been a DIRECTV customer for only 3 years but I couldn't be happier with my service.

But after spending some time on DBSTalk (mostly lurking) I'm a little paranoid.

When I go online to my account it shows that every single package online is cheaper (except for Premier). I want to change my package to something cheaper to save a few bucks but I intend on keeping my premium channels.

What's the catch?
Am I getting hit with some different fee? will I enter a new commitment?
Your current package has the HD fee and DVR fee built in. Don't forget too add $7 for the DVR fee and $10 for the HD fee. The HD fee maybe able to be waived if you are on autopay or sign up for autopay.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
billyinlasvegas said:

When I go online to my account it shows that every single package online is cheaper
Take the package price shown (make sure you are logged in, so you get the current customer price, and not a promo price), add $10 for HD, and $7 for DVR to the prices shown. Then compare those prices with your current package. I believe your package is expired now, so if you drop it, you cannot go back BUT, it also included a $10 per month charge for HD service, which you MIGHT be able to get for free for 24 months if you are on, or sign up for autobillpay.

Whatever you do, do it soon, as the Choice Extra package will soon become Choice Extra Classic and will not allow you to select that package. The replacement Choice Extra package hasnt been announced yet, but speculate it will contain less channels, and those channels will move to Ultimate.

Im not sure what your current package price is, but Choice Extra is $65.99 + $10 HD + $7 DVR, so if you are paying more than $72.99, you might do better to try to get the FREE HD for 2 YRS and pay for Choice Extra and $7 for DVR instead of your current package.

It will get even more confusing in February, when everything changes names, and new customers get bundled advanced services instead of line items...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.