DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Personally, I don't understand how ESPN and HBO aren't on there - or ACC Network.
HBO and ESPN are plexes and moving even part of them would consume all the space opened up.

How awful would it be if the game you were watching was moved to a channel that was fading in and out?

·
Icon
3,280 Posts
yes im seeing this message too but i already have a genie 2 and 4K so i guess im good !

also i thought i read somewhere that the most watched channels they were moving to KA/KU? or something to minimize rain fade ... looking at the channels i doubt its that but any additional info on that ?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
also i thought i read somewhere that the most watched channels they were moving to KA/KU? or something to minimize rain fade ... looking at the channels i doubt its that but any additional info on that ?
There are two reasons to move the popular channels to Ku:
  1. Address somewhat higher rain fade susceptibility associated with Ka band.
  2. Provide a shove to get people to upgrade their receivers to continue to get some less popular (but certainly not lesser channels).
There are two different classes of upgraders:
  • Those that are still hanging onto an old receiver because it is best meeting their need (possibly including OTA pass-through). The Genie Mini is not a natural solution for a composite connection and the absence of an RF solution puts a hurt on that option.
  • Those that are still Ku-only because they have a dome or DIRECTV won't replace their dish due to access issues.
It seems reasonable that the major driver is probably the rain fade issue.

Reactions: dtv757

·
Icon
1,663 Posts
These are not the first five channels, over the years several channels have been moved and more will be moved after March. Last I saw it’s 5/6 channels every couple months till they’re all done.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,426 Posts
These are not the first five channels, over the years several channels have been moved and more will be moved after March. Last I saw it’s 5/6 channels every couple months till they’re all done.
Will they do HBO / MAX / SHOW / STARS all at one time or maybe keep 1 of each in MEPG 2 till the end?
next year NFL TICKET still in MEPG 2 (if just for airlines and other locked in contracts?) remove NFL TICKET MEPG 2 for most subs.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I see only a few channels on the 101W transponder list that are noted as being HD. Could you offer some examples of these "several channels"?

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
I see only a few channels on the 101W transponder list that are noted as being HD. Could you offer some examples of these "several channels"?
There are currently zero HD shows on 101. If there are some marked as being in HD in the spreadsheet, it is probably a data collection error (the guys doing that have had to reverse engineer the guide data stream so it isn't 100% accurate)

There used to be a few on 119, but they changed the transponder from DSS to DVB-S2 when they did that. AFAIK 101 is still all DSS, which appears to support only MPEG2 streams (which given its creation in the early 90s before the original DVB-S was created would not be surprising)

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a customer on a commercial account using an H24 in a motor bus setup using a 101 on a mobile setup call me all day about that.

It was basically a bar at the bottom of the screen that eventually went away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
So what are the few channels you said you saw in HD on 101?
So nice of you to twist what I said into something substantially different.

On more careful reading there's only one and as suggested, it is incorrectly described.

The airline version of Fox network is noted as being HD. It is flagged as h.262 in the map metadata.

The DIRECTV Cinema channel 183 has a relatively unique description referencing 1080p channels. It is flagged h.262 in the metadata.

Transponder 7 has only four shopping channels (91, 95, 255, 325) and three Music Choice channels so there may be something going on there. These video channels (and quite a number of others) don't have format metadata.

All audio channels that have a flag are shown as "PCM AAC".

What I set out to do was show that there weren't several channels that had already transitioned to 101W as west99999 had asserted and I've done that.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
So nice of you to twist what I said into something substantially different.
Perhaps you should do a better job of writing accurate information. See the exact quote of your words in the posts above. Several channels on 101W "noted as being in HD."

Perhaps if you had more first hand information you would be better informed.

I am glad that you have now done a "more careful reading" and fully understand that the channels on 101W you noted as being in HD were H262_MPEG2 SD channels with "HD" in a free text channel description field. Correct reading of the data is important.

Two channels is not several.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,430 Posts
The DIRECTV Cinema channel 183 has a relatively unique description referencing 1080p channels. It is flagged h.262 in the metadata.
Can you read it by open eyes ? Where you found it's on ch183 ?!
DIRECTV Cinema offers the latest blockbuster movies in razor-sharp 1080p HD, the same format as Blu-ray and the highest picture quality available anywhere. Get the most out of your HDTV and watch movies in stunning 1080p HD

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
The thread is about moving HD to 101. That is where we got 101 from. There are five channels that should be moved to 101. Your comment was "these are not the first channels to move". Since the thread is about 101 and you did not specify SD to HD in your post I hope you can see why people read your post the way it was read.

It should also be noted that the channels being removed from 101 are not the channels that will be added to 101 in HD.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
It should also be noted that the channels being removed from 101 are not the channels that will be added to 101 in HD.
In the interest of documenting and centralizing what we know:

The SD versions MAVTV, ION East, TV One, Fuse, RFD-TV, Accuweather and Trinity Broadcasting Network will be leaving 101W. The cut-off is 50 days away. HD versions of those channels are already spread between 99W and 103W.

MSNBC HD, CNN HD, Fox News HD, HGTV HD and Hallmark HD will eventually reside on DIRECTV 16 (101W). There is no real rush here as those channels are already available on Ka.

In terms of how the transition will be made, it is interesting to note that the SD channels are not all on the same transponder. I would guess that some shuffling needs to happen before the HD channels can replace them due to presumed changes in the modulation scheme.

EDIT: 28 + 22 = 50

21 - 40 of 77 Posts