DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Godfather
289 Posts
Michael P said:
This channel is for hacked receivers only. Some unsuspecting customers buy hacked receivers from pirates. The message supposedly tells viewers how to legally subscribe.
The channel is clear and FTA. No need to hack anything.

I plan to retire in less than 3 years. When I have lots of time on my hands, one of the hobbies I'm going to take up is FTA digital satellite. That is, if I can find somewhere to hide a one meter dish where my wife can't see it. She's already griping about WildBlue and Dish on the house. I don't think I could sell another one.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,190 Posts
Larry Caldwell said:
The channel is clear and FTA. No need to hack anything.

I plan to retire in less than 3 years. When I have lots of time on my hands, one of the hobbies I'm going to take up is FTA digital satellite. That is, if I can find somewhere to hide a one meter dish where my wife can't see it. She's already griping about WildBlue and Dish on the house. I don't think I could sell another one.
If you have an Echostar branded receiver the only way you'll see this channel is if:
a.) it's hacked or b.) it's at an E* facillity and you have a special "show all" account.

It's not a part of any E* package residential or commercial. It's nothing but a barker channel anyway.

·
Super Moderator
53,505 Posts
HDMe said:
So it sounds like the only way you'd see this particular channel is if you "need" to see it because of your setup... which kind of means if you are seeing it, you really ought to know why you are seeing it, right?
There are scammers out there selling lifetime satellite boxes that are really just receivers set up for signal theft. The end user doesn't always understand that they are buying from a thief until it is too late. The "pirate" video is a way to let them know that they are on the wrong side of a subscription.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
James Long said:
There are scammers out there selling lifetime satellite boxes that are really just receivers set up for signal theft. The end user doesn't always understand that they are buying from a thief until it is too late. The "pirate" video is a way to let them know that they are on the wrong side of a subscription.
I suppose there are some naive people around... but since I know Dish doesn't sell lifetime subscriptions... I naturally assume anyone who does must be cheating so I pass on the offer.

Folks who are looking into satellite and know enough to contact such a person selling hacked boxes know more than the average customer because I wager most folks don't know how to find the hackers. Kinda like how if I suddenly wanted to smoke crack I wouldn't have clue #1 how to locate a "reputable" crack dealer! :)

·
Super Moderator
53,505 Posts
A scam going on around here this past summer was people breaking into vacant and abandoned homes to steal oven doors. Why? The thiefs took the doors, put them in boxes and sold them to people "real cheap" as flat screen TVs. Good old fashioned con job -- buy now because this offer goes away when I go away preying on those who are looking beyond their rational senses for a "good deal".

PT Barnum was right. Some buy oven doors, others buy "lifetime" Dish subscriptions. There is a sucker born every minute - and since one American is born every seven seconds that makes one out of eight or nine Americans a sucker. (Internationally there are 4.2 births in the world per second - so if PT was thinking globally then one out of every 252 people in the world is a sucker. But I doubt if he was being that literal. Besides, that doesn't take into account the difference in death rates between suckers and non suckers. But I digress.)

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I never heard the oven door bit! Wow... never heard that one before.

I have seen those speaker sales guys... Every once in a while there is a truck circling a parking lot and stopping people and giving essentially the same story... supposedly they were delivering speakers but they somehow "accidentally" were given extra speakers beyond what they had to deliver... so they offer them for a "deal" way below the $300 or whatever price they makeup... but you gotta buy right then and you gotta pay cash!

Funny thing is... the whole deal is a scam, because that's how they try and sell all the speakers... and they are not necessarily bad speakers, but nowhere near worth what the guys claim them to be.

I used to see them around and not think about it... until one day one of those news shows like Hard Copy or 60 minutes or something was doing a story with hidden cameras where they caught some of the guys doing that around the country.

·
Super Moderator
53,505 Posts
Here's the oven door story: http://www.tvsnob.com/archives/005693.php
Their comment "I guess if you're greedy enough to buy what has to be a stolen TV, you deserve a nice used oven door."

It's possible that some of the targets of the pirate box satellite systems may also think they are buying an annual subscription. In any case, their "special deal" turns out to be less than legitimate without them nessisarily knowing that they were becoming a pirate. Channels such as "Pirate TV" break the news to them.

When that channel was first uplinked someone captured the video and one of our members linked to it. IIRC the "FREE" channel video is polite and gives a path on how to become a legit subscriber. I suppose real hackers (those trying to steal service) would laugh at the politeness of the message - which is why I believe it is aimed at the unsuspecting victims of fraud.

·
Super Moderator
53,505 Posts
Should have searched earlier ...

It's on YouTube (of course)

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
lol, from the same page there (under comments) :

"fatela (5 days ago)

Don't ever signup with Dish network.With the type of customer service. its a nightmare waiting to happen
even when i haven't even signed up i get harassing calls literary cussing on my answering machine. i will be uploading my recording soon... "

·
Legend
214 Posts
Darkman said:
lol, from the same page there (under comments) :

"fatela (5 days ago)

Don't ever signup with Dish network.With the type of customer service. its a nightmare waiting to happen
even when i haven't even signed up i get harassing calls literary cussing on my answering machine. i will be uploading my recording soon... "
I'm an unauthorized customer because I watched the video on youtube.com ...

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
HDMe said:
I never heard the oven door bit! Wow... never heard that one before.

I have seen those speaker sales guys... Every once in a while there is a truck circling a parking lot and stopping people and giving essentially the same story... supposedly they were delivering speakers but they somehow "accidentally" were given extra speakers beyond what they had to deliver... so they offer them for a "deal" way below the $300 or whatever price they makeup... but you gotta buy right then and you gotta pay cash!

Funny thing is... the whole deal is a scam, because that's how they try and sell all the speakers... and they are not necessarily bad speakers, but nowhere near worth what the guys claim them to be.

I used to see them around and not think about it... until one day one of those news shows like Hard Copy or 60 minutes or something was doing a story with hidden cameras where they caught some of the guys doing that around the country.
They are still around. I was amazed to be approached by one of them about 3 months ago at a gas station here in Vero Beach. He claimed to have some real "studio monitors" in his truck that were "left over" from an installation. He didn't know who he was talking to, so I let him babble on for about 10 minutes about how great these things were. Do you realize they are 1000 watt speakers? They must get really loud. :lol:

Here ya go:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=MakeBestOffer&itemid=110048916061

I just made him an offer of $0.39 and added in the comment area "With free shipping. They're not worth that much but I am feeling generous today." :lol:

http://stores.ebay.com/thedeepdiscount_Home-Speakers_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ13QQftidZ2QQtZkm

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.