DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR20. Just in the past day I've gotten this strange new bug. When I change channels it takes a full 2-5 seconds sometimes to get picture on a new channel. I get a black screen for awhile and then if I wait long enough I eventualy (usually) get a picture.

We just had a massive snow storm last night, so I'm not sure if this is potentially related to snow. However, it only happens on the HR20 and does not happen on either of my standard TV Tivo boxes.

I'm running 0xFA, but it's been installed for 9 days, and this problem just appeared in the past day.

I've tried a hard reset a couple of times and that hasn't helped with things any.

·
Godfather
578 Posts
dougthonus said:
I have an HR20. Just in the past day I've gotten this strange new bug. When I change channels it takes a full 2-5 seconds sometimes to get picture on a new channel. I get a black screen for awhile and then if I wait long enough I eventualy (usually) get a picture.

We just had a massive snow storm last night, so I'm not sure if this is potentially related to snow. However, it only happens on the HR20 and does not happen on either of my standard TV Tivo boxes.

I'm running 0xFA, but it's been installed for 9 days, and this problem just appeared in the past day.

I've tried a hard reset a couple of times and that hasn't helped with things any.
When I initially activated my unit the channels changed quite quickly, but after the series of updates we've had I and many others are finding that 2-4 seconds is normal. Resetting doesn't change this. Annoying but I'm used to it now.
John

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I initially activated my unit the channels changed quite quickly, but after the series of updates we've had I and many others are finding that 2-4 seconds is normal. Resetting doesn't change this. Annoying but I'm used to it now.
My god, if this is how it always is, it is so unacceptable.

·
Godfather
300 Posts
I have not timed it but its slower now since the last update or so. I have the info to display for 2 seconds when changing chnnaels, i used tobe able to read the info but because it takes more then 2 secs to change now i need to press info to see what it is again. Im on HDMI and NOT set for Native. Didnt have this problem till recently. last 1 or 2 updates.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2-5 seconds is THAT big of a deal? wow
If you are browsing through channels looking for something and it takes 5 seconds to show a channel, yeah it's way too slow. That's a pretty huge deal. It makes it impossible to just browse through channels to find something.

My tivo does this instantly, is there any technical reason why the HR20 can't match that of something like 5 year old technology? I'm sorry, but quite frankly, that is just bad.

There is no other TV service that requires up to 5 seconds to display a channel that I've ever seen, and I've used 3 different DTV boxes, and probably 3 different digital cable boxes. It's just garbage.

·
8 Posts
sigma1914 said:
Is native off?
That's good advice, first make sure Native Mode is off. But in a lot of cases with this last update, there's a problem with live TV being screwed up, and channel changing taking forever. I have been having this problem since 0xFA, but it's new this update.

A red-button reset fixed this for me for a couple days, but then it went back to the same problem.

·
Mentor
35 Posts
dougthonus said:
If you are browsing through channels looking for something and it takes 5 seconds to show a channel, yeah it's way too slow. That's a pretty huge deal. It makes it impossible to just browse through channels to find something..
Why not just use the guide? It's faster in either case.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not just use the guide? It's faster in either case.
Because I like to look at a show for a few minutes to see if it's interesting?

I don't know what 95% of the shows are on the guide, so it's nice to actually see what the show is. I am surprised that channel surfing would be viewed as this crazy idea.

I've done the disk format to my HR20 since it hasn't recorded anything successfully for 2-3 days now, and the channels now change quicker again.

We'll see what happens. The latest update seems really poor (for me at least) as it has introduced tons of new bugs into what was previously a unit that had minor bugs that gave me some complaints. Now it's getting to the non functional point.

·
Mentor
47 Posts
I have been having the same problem. It does seem to get progressively worse, then seems to correct and then starts to get worse again.

I actually counted 30 seconds between channel changes yesterday. Native is off. I did notice that I was going from SD to HD channel. Switched to nonHD local and then to HD local and it seemed to go back to the normal 3-4 seconds thing.

At any rate - the lag is annoying. For those of you who don't have it or think it is nit-picking please realize that a lot of people channel surf so seeing those channels quickly is important and this should be viewed as a bug to DTV.

Additionally - as we have had a few recording bugs lately, my heart almost dropped when my wife went to watch one of her recorded programs and we had to FF through the first 30 seconds due to the lag in the channel changing.

I wonder if this might not be the source of some of the non-recordings????

Any thoughts on that possibility?

Jay

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
My experience has been the same as jayk's. It has occurred on my original HR20 and on the replacement D* just sent me. It was definitely quicker to Channel Up or Channel Down before the most recent software update. Waiting 5 seconds or more when switching channels is not trivial. Compare it to the old dials we used to click on TVs as kids. :shrug:

In other news, I do feel compelled to say at least one good thing about the HR20 compared to my old HR10Tivo. When I tell it to record a show or a series, it executes my command in real time, not 15 seconds later. The HR20 might later cancel or delete the recording on its own accord, but at least I get a nice quick HOOAH when I decide to schedule something. :)

·
Legend
176 Posts
I can understand slowness in changing channels when it has to adjust to differing resolutions but mine has been painfully slow in the menu too. I often have to hit the button twice to move the cursor in the menu. I have 2 HR20s and both have the same problem. I have tried both RF and IR and no difference.

2-5 seconds is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but it is annoying.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
581 Posts
dougthonus said:

Same thing started happening to my HR-20 several days after the update. I have had to reboot several times since then - and each time the response was fast for a couple of days but is back to the slow time now. Oh well - looking forward to the next revision update to see what new experiences will happen. At least D* appears to be working on these issues - and I am sure they will get fixed.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
mecohen said:
Same problem for me. 5 to 10 seconds. In addition, recording does NOT work!
Mecohen,

Welcome to the forums. :welcome_s

What does recording do? Does it try and fail, not try at all, or record something unwatchable?

After checking the cables, switches, and dish (is this the only receiver in your system?), I might force a download of the sotware again along with a reformat of the disk.

Good luck,
Tom

·
Legend
151 Posts
jayk said:
I have been having the same problem. It does seem to get progressively worse, then seems to correct and then starts to get worse again.

I actually counted 30 seconds between channel changes yesterday. Native is off. I did notice that I was going from SD to HD channel. Switched to nonHD local and then to HD local and it seemed to go back to the normal 3-4 seconds thing.

At any rate - the lag is annoying. For those of you who don't have it or think it is nit-picking please realize that a lot of people channel surf so seeing those channels quickly is important and this should be viewed as a bug to DTV.

Additionally - as we have had a few recording bugs lately, my heart almost dropped when my wife went to watch one of her recorded programs and we had to FF through the first 30 seconds due to the lag in the channel changing.

I wonder if this might not be the source of some of the non-recordings????

Any thoughts on that possibility?

Jay
I was wondering the exact same thing. My second HR20 (that I watch all my football on) has started to exhibit the same painfully slow channel changes in the last week or so since 0xFA. It can sometimes take a good 5-7 seconds to change channels.

And now (after two months of FLAWLESS recordings on TWO HR20's) I got my first "unwathchable bug". Set the Cowboys-Giants to record from local MPEG-4 and got home at about 6:00 to find that it would not play. Black screen and FF and 30-second had no effect. I had to cancel the recording so I could even watch the 2nd half. If I hadn't been home in time to watch the end I would have been irrate! :mad:

Seems to me that someone at D* might want to examine the correlation between the slow channel changes and bad recordings. Could be a coincidence, but mine both showed up together it seems... :rolleyes:

·
AllStar
101 Posts
dougthonus said:
My god, if this is how it always is, it is so unacceptable.
I couldn't agree more. My old TIVO unit changes channels so fast compared to the new H20 its ridiculous.

I've found it necessary to go one channel up from the channel that won't tune in and then back to it so it will work. When mine goes to a black screen on the initial tune, it never tunes in. This is really handy when you have timed recording set, as they don't record.:mad:

I am refusing to pay the monthly fee for this dvr service until it acts like a dvr, in fact its really not even an adequate receiver because it refuses to tune into channels half the time.:nono2:

·
Legend
162 Posts
Bobwhite said:
I couldn't agree more. My old TIVO unit changes channels so fast compared to the new H20 its ridiculous.

I've found it necessary to go one channel up from the channel that won't tune in and then back to it so it will work. When mine goes to a black screen on the initial tune, it never tunes in. This is really handy when you have timed recording set, as they don't record.:mad:

I am refusing to pay the monthly fee for this dvr service until it acts like a dvr, in fact its really not even an adequate receiver because it refuses to tune into channels half the time.:nono2:
I have delt with this EXACT same problem with my HR10's in the past. The problem was in the switch, not the receivers. I would have several non-recorded shows, always in HD. I would record NFL live or Baseball tonight in ESPN-HD, and they would come up as an unwatchable recording. The timeline for the show would show up as 3 seconds, and the screen would be an image of the previous recording/channel watched, and the Tivo Guide. This was an ongoing theme for weeks, and finally was recitified by getting a powered switch, instead of the basic switch that was originally installed. I have yet to complain about my HR20's, even though I have suffered thru a couple non-recordings, but after the problems I had previously with the "flawless" HR10's, I am pretty happy with the new system. BTW, it is a good idea to have backup recordings if you have more than one reciever, since I have had to make use of them in the past, and it really helps with the WAF if they don't miss an episode of their soaps :)
Kevin

·
Legend
132 Posts
I originally had native set to on, then turned it off and channel switching was much better. But since it has become progressively slower. It seems like the last update slowed it the most but I haven't been timing so I can't say definitively. Glad to see I'm not alone on this one.

FWIW, using HDMI with a Sony KDS60A2000 and a 3 LNB dish(x2) -- no multiswitch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.