DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Icon
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is in the wrong forum, and I apologize. I'm not sure which forum this really belongs in.

My mother really really dislikes HD for the fact that it takes a long time for the channels to change. She refuses to watch the TV that has HD because of this. Is there a way to make the channels change a little bit faster?

·
Legend
138 Posts
There are some threads on the HD DVR forum about this. They go into much greater detail.

But basically, yes, the Native Off should help, but the receiver is pretty slow about channel changes anyway. As it switches between resolutions (1080i to 720p, for example) it's going to take a little longer.

I've found that the best way to minimize this frustration (because I keep Native On) is to use the guide to find shows I want to watch and channel surf that way. I've never pressed the "channel up" or "channel down" buttons on my remote.

·
Godfather
264 Posts
bryanw3535 said:
There are some threads on the HD DVR forum about this. They go into much greater detail.

But basically, yes, the Native Off should help, but the receiver is pretty slow about channel changes anyway. As it switches between resolutions (1080i to 720p, for example) it's going to take a little longer.

I've found that the best way to minimize this frustration (because I keep Native On) is to use the guide to find shows I want to watch and channel surf that way. I've never pressed the "channel up" or "channel down" buttons on my remote.
Yes I found this is the best way too!

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Native off will help for sure. Also if it's connected via HDMI that can also cause a delay if the handshaking on the TV takes a while (some TV's are better at this then others). By far the quickest way is Native Off and try component vs. HDMI and see if it makes a different. My channel changes aren't much beyond 2-3 seconds.

·
Icon
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bonscott87 said:
Native off will help for sure. Also if it's connected via HDMI that can also cause a delay if the handshaking on the TV takes a while (some TV's are better at this then others). By far the quickest way is Native Off and try component vs. HDMI and see if it makes a different. My channel changes aren't much beyond 2-3 seconds.
Yeah, the TV in question is hooked up with HDMI cables.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,214 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
i keep:
1. native off
2. only check mark the 1080i box.

i like 1080i better anyway.
i find that when 720p ESPN is converted to 1080i by the box, the fast motion stuff isnt converted well and you get "trails". i prefer native and all resolutions checked and let my pioneer plasma do the scaling and conversion...better electronics anyway. I put up with the wait.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
DirecTV also made me end my surfing ways.

There's no way to make digital TV of any sort surf quickly without laying in a couple extra tuners and pre-tuning (and decoding) the channels above and below the current one in case you might want to switch to them. The problem is that when switch to a new channel you have to wait for a key frame before you can start displaying video, since all the other frames are referenced to the most recent key frame.

·
Icon
685 Posts
I have that same slow response on channel-up and down occassionally on two of my HD tvs (with native off).

So ..... I do a receiver restart every two weeks or so, and then it goes back to normal/quick channel changing using the up and down arrows.

Sometimes its a little more than two weeks, sometimes less .... but as soon as I start having that slow reponse to up and down arrowing, I do a receiver restart, and all is good again.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.