DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Icon
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference in high numbers and low numbers (just about all HD channels).

HMC 187 (SAT 110 - T1)
HMC 9444 (SAT 61.5 - T16)

Both are HD. I guess the logical thing to do is check signal on each SAT, and tune to the strongest one? Or is one MPEG2 and one MPEG4?

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
tcatdbs said:
Is there any difference in high numbers and low numbers (just about all HD channels).

HMC 187 (SAT 110 - T1)
HMC 9444 (SAT 61.5 - T16)

Both are HD. I guess the logical thing to do is check signal on each SAT, and tune to the strongest one? Or is one MPEG2 and one MPEG4?
187 is sd and 9444 is HD, the HD one is also mapped down to the 187 location and shows there as well. You may be on the HD guide or a favorite or has the sd channel hiden by using the locks. Double check your setup.

· Icon
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I see 187, and 187HD, I locked the SD channel. I also locked all the 9000 channels. So I am getting SAT 110 HD? Or is it mapping "up to" 61.5? Or do I have a SAT choice? The ekb channel chart shows the different SAT locations. Would be nice to be able to choose 110 or 61.5.

· Hall Of Fame
2,497 Posts
tcatdbs said:
Is it mapping "up to" 61.5? Or do I have a SAT choice?
Channels can not "map up" to satellites that they are not on. Some HD channels are on 110 while most of them are on 129 (and duplicated on 61.5). You can tell which satellite you are getting them from by going to the dish point screen (menu 6, 1, 1) when you are tuned to a channel. It will show the satellite and transponder that the signal is coming from.

· Icon
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll see what it says for Ch 187 and ch 9444 when I get home. There's HD on 110 and on 61.5, just wasn't sure if 2 channel numbers (of the same broadcast) could come from 2 different SAT's.

· Icon
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, channel 187 is on SAT 61.5 T16, which is what channel 9444 is (both HMC), so when tuned to 187HD you are really mapped to 9444. I haven't looked at any other, but I assume they do the same.

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
tcatdbs said:
OK, channel 187 is on SAT 61.5 T16, which is what channel 9444 is (both HMC), so when tuned to 187HD you are really mapped to 9444. I haven't looked at any other, but I assume they do the same.
All the HD channels are mapped down to the same channel number as their sd counterparts. No need to assume.

· AllStar
117 Posts
well, if hdnet is mapped down, I didn't notice that last week, don't have HD at home, and won't be in to see it until next week. It was only the channels with SD equivalents that were mapped down, so HD onlys like hdnet and hdtheater, and HDnet movies, were only listed once in the HD guide, while others like ESPN HD were listed twice.

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
Non-subscribed channels don't show up as mapdowns.
HDNet is 362.
HDTheater is 364.

Some channels are "hidden" so they don't show up unless they are subscribed (even if they are not mapdowns).

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
I'm surprised that anything in the 360-399 range is a mapdown ... since there are no SD equivalents to confuse with the HDs. But there are a few things in the current numbering scheme that surprises me. Perhaps they will be corrected "soon". :)

· Icon
867 Posts
Bill R said:
Channels can not "map up" to satellites that they are not on. Some HD channels are on 110 while most of them are on 129 (and duplicated on 61.5). You can tell which satellite you are getting them from by going to the dish point screen (menu 6, 1, 1) when you are tuned to a channel. It will show the satellite and transponder that the signal is coming from.
or just hit info button twice. It will show you what satellite it is on

· Icon
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That seems to work on most but not all channels. It wasn't showing up on HMC for me, but going to 6,1,1 it did. I really just wanted to know if it mattered whether I lock 187 or 9444, so it seems it doesn't matter (until they turn one of them off...). I have all 9000 and up locked, I have HDnet in the lower range (362). I thought it might be an MPEG4 thing, guess not.

dennispap said:
or just hit info button twice. It will show you what satellite it is on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.