DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was looking at the entries for say channel 9456 and it "looks' like dish might be trying some sort of remap to channel 300.
How's that workin out for anybody? this would mean that if you hit 300 you'd get HBOhd? but then how would you get HBOsd should you ever want that? (HBO-E)

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
I don't believe that anyone has reported seeing the mapdowns. I can't see E* blocking access to the SD version - when this "feature" goes live we will know for sure, but I suspect it will be something nice and not a removal of the SD channels.

·
Icon
599 Posts
jhall said:
this would mean that if you hit 300 you'd get HBOhd? but then how would you get HBOsd should you ever want that? (HBO-E)
First, you'd only get HBO-HD instead of HBO (E-SD) if you have an HD set-top. Second, HBO (E-SD) and HBO-SD show the exact same programming. It's not like one program will be on the SD channel and a different program will be on the HD channel and now you'd miss the SD one...

The only downside is that if you want to record the SD channel. You'll in fact be recording the HD feed and using up substantially more disc space.

·
Legend
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at the remapping advertisements. I have indeed noticed some differences in some remappings that "do" seem to work, as well as these (hbo was my example)
On my 622 if I press 7, I get the hd channel for WJLA, but on other receivers I get the sd version obviously. Maybe they're just not ready to try this 'feature' out yet. I did notice that there is a signifficnat delay between the sd and hd versions of WTTG--the hd one is delayed by at least 3 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
Hall said:
First, you'd only get HBO-HD instead of HBO (E-SD) if you have an HD set-top. Second, HBO (E-SD) and HBO-SD show the exact same programming. It's not like one program will be on the SD channel and a different program will be on the HD channel and now you'd miss the SD one...

The only downside is that if you want to record the SD channel. You'll in fact be recording the HD feed and using up substantially more disc space.
Do you have the HD downmap feature on your receiver? Until E* lets us know how these three HD channels that are 'apparently mapped' to their SD equivilents will appear in the guide it is best not to speculate which feed will be recording and start a flame war over a problem that may not exist.

·
Icon
599 Posts
How is it any different than your comment that "it will be something nice and not a removal of the SD channels" ?? You're speculating too...

And really, how could my comment result in "a flame war" ??

·
Legend
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it looked to me as if some receivers might be taking advantage of them and mine wasn't and I didn't know if it was a configuration knob I had to turn or what.

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
Hall said:
How is it any different than your comment that "it will be something nice and not a removal of the SD channels" ?? You're speculating too...
My statement was labeled as speculation ... your statement was not. And you have misquoted me ...
I suspect it will be something nice and not a removal of the SD channels.

Stated as fact - You WOULD only get and you WILL in FACT - without any basis in reality.
Hall said:
And really, how could my comment result in "a flame war" ??
We already had a mini-war over in the Uplink Activity thread the week the apparent mapdowns were added ... people complaining about losing the ability to record SD without KNOWING whether or not this feature (if it is a mapdown) will take away that ability.

Don't state your speculation as fact. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.