DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I am a virgin Hr20 HD DVR recipient as of yesterday...
One big concern is that it takes up to 5-6 seconds
when surfing from one channel to the next in delay.:(
TIVO was only 2 seconds...

I dont think I can handle that...Why is it so slow and
is that Normal or is there something wrong...:confused:

Please help

tom

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
tmkriss said:
Hello guys,

Please help

tom
I seemed to notice an increased delay between changing channels this weekend. I have had my unit for over a month now and I have not seen delays like this before. No recent updates have ocurred so I am not sure what prompted this delay.

·
Legend
231 Posts
I have been waiting patiently for a long time now to make the switch to the hr-20.
Evey time I feel I should make the call some new bug or problem creeps up and I decide to wait.

This slow 6-7 second channel delay is unacceptable. So once again I will continue to wait.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Most likely you have turned "Native Resolution" to the ON position. Your TV will need to sync to the proper resolution during each channel change. Sometimes this is faster than other times. However, your TV will (in theory) be showing it the way it should be shown. If you turn Native Resolution to the OFF position, then the HR-20 will alway convert the output resolution to what you have manually set it to using the FORMAT button on your remote.

You can quickly turn Native Resolution on/off by holding down the FORMAT button for three seconds.

I actually used to use Native Resolution=OFF, but I with the most recent update I have started using Native Resolution=ON and found that it does a very nice job. I don't change channels much (e.g. surf mode), so I don't find the delay troublesome.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
tmkriss said:
Hello guys,

Please help

tom
Sounds a little long, but many results will vary.. there is most likely nothing wrong.

Stop channel surfing, or surf smarter with the guide. I decided with the HR20 it was better to just go without watching TV (only kidding).

Actually, much of the delay that I see in flipping channels is related to the TV syncronization to the HR20 as it changes channels. If I force one consistent resolution from the HR20, then I may sacrifice best picture, but I do gain some speed in changing channels.

When you are running in "NATIVE" mode, and have more than one resolution checked (of 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) - then changing channels (or playing recorded shows), will have the HR20 send the signal in the original resolution to the TV. If your TV is like mine, it takes about 3-4 seconds to detect a change, and tnen about 2 seconds to resolve.

If you want to go with manual changes of resolutions and forgo automatically changing resolutions, then turn "NATIVE" mode off; just for good measure when I do that, I also tell the HR20 that only 1080i mode is available, but that may be an unnecessary step.

The effect of this will most likely be that you will not always get the optimal picture. I have a 1080p TV, so my TV scales everything up to that resolution. If the HR20 is sending everything in one resolution (Native off), then it is often upscaling or downscaling that picture. Thusly, you could have 2 scaling operations happening to a picture. Also, my TV does a much better job at scaling a picture than the HR20 does. I can see in taking an SD signal to 1080i and then to 1080p that it is more degraded than if I send the SD signal right to the TV and then it scales to 1080p to display. Also taking a 720p and converting to 1080i before inputting to the set also visibly degrades the picture.

So surf if you like, it still won't be quite as smooth as TiVo, but it will be more bearable. I was flipping between Native mode on and off, but have just gotten used to the delay now, and would rather have good picture than an extra couple seconds on changing channels.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Actually I have Native off and have noticed that channel changes are slower than they used to be. With versions prior to 0xF6, I had channel changes take 2-3 seconds (which was actually faster than my old R10 in the bedroom). Now is about 4-5 seconds.

I'm hardly complaining about an extra second every so often but it is interesting. Some say it could be a fix that D* put in to try to minimize unwatchable recordings; I think that's logical.

Native mode is actually about the same speed if it's not changing resolutions. I don't use it because my TV goes to snow for a second when changing from 480 or 720 to 1080.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Actually I have Native off and have noticed that channel changes are slower than they used to be. With versions prior to 0xF6, I had channel changes take 2-3 seconds (which was actually faster than my old R10 in the bedroom). Now is about 4-5 seconds.
In my tests, the savings under "native OFF" or "native ON" are really not significant at all. Changing channels takes about 4-5 seconds with native on or off - it doesn't matter.

I've seen other users post that with the 0xFA update, "native on or off" doesn't seem to matter much. Changing channels is slow regardless.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
g4jedi said:
I don't like the slowness either! :(
The slowness is a good thing for our marriage. I never change channels anymore and my wife appreciates it. :)

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Yeah... but it's embarrassing when you want to show off DirecTV and HDTV to friends and family!

"The picture looks great, but why is it so slow?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.