Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following is posted in the DirecTV General Discussion thread --

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=73444

I think fixing "Channels I Receive" would actually also fix searches and autorecords. How about we make more of a stink about this, instead of focusing so much on DLB? This is a feature which is already in the software but is turned off. It needs to be fixed and turned on. I've read why it's turned off, but apparently it's been off for close to a year on the R15's.

Would it help to start chanting CIR! CIR! ????

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
The CIR, has 100% nothing to do with the HR20.
It really doesn't.

The FIX for it, has to do with the data stream that it has to work off.
And the fix has already been done, however... there are other pieces of the DirecTV "universe" that have to be updated, in order for it to work.

And those systems are actually being updated already. (Just no one seems to be noticing in the forum boards so much).

--------------

Now having the search go off your Favorites list, that is a different story.

SOF (Search Off Favorites).. you can chant that, and probably have better results, then CIR... ;)

·
AllStar
71 Posts
I was told that D* wants to leave it this way so they can show people what they are missing and perhaps the customer will call and order a package with that channel in it. It's D* method of up selling you with out you even knowing it?

Is this the real reason that D* has took over complete control of manufacturing there receivers? Think about how many chances they give up to promote new product if they allowed you to turn channels off?

I really dislike that when you press the guide button and you find a show that you may interested in and click it, only to be told that you need to call D* to active the channel.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
daytoday said:
I was told that D* to leave it this way so they can show people what they are missing and perhaps the customer will call and order a package with that channel in it. It's D* method of up selling you with out you even knowing it?

Is this the real reason that D* has took over complete control of manufacturing there receivers? Think about how many chances they give up to promote new product if they allowed you to turn channels off?

I really dislike that when you press the guide button and you find a show that you may interested in and click it, only to be told that you need to call D* to active the channel.
Sure, that is the option for "ALL Channels".
If they wanted to do that on a regular basis, they would disable any type of favorite filtering in the guide.

As for the "searches", I can see it become user configurable eventually to bounce against your favorites, or at least indicate in the results list, channels that are in your favorites, vs channels you receive, ect...

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update. All I need to know is that someone "up there" has it on a list of things to fix. I've actually been pretty impressed by the responsiveness of the programmers and if they say it's in the works, that's all I need to know, though I'd prefer to know when.

Unless of course, Earl, you'd care to chime in with one of your "very soon" comments.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Unless of course, Earl, you'd care to chime in with one of your "very soon" comments.
I can't put this one in the "very soon" comment...
There are a LOT of systems that have to be updated, before CIR is turned back on.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
One of my first D* receivers could scan all of the channels to see if I got it. Is this what we're talking about, or are we saying D* should beam us a list of what we receive?

If it's the latter I see the need for updating other stuff, but the former should be easy to implement on the receiver.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Oliwa said:
One of my first D* receivers could scan all of the channels to see if I got it. Is this what we're talking about, or are we saying D* should beam us a list of what we receive?

If it's the latter I see the need for updating other stuff, but the former should be easy to implement on the receiver.
They do "beam" you a list of what you can receive.
That is what the Access Card iterprets, to know what it can and can't decode for the system.

And it can and does change often (the extended package channels, ect).
Hence why start at channel #2 and start there and check them all, doesn't work so well today.

·
Legend
241 Posts
This is actually the one feature that keeps me from making the HR20 my primary receiver over my HR10. Because I can't tell the HR20 what channels I actually receive (or want to be included in searches), the search function is not usable for me because a movie search brings back all kinds of false results from channels that I don't actually receive and/or don't want to see in the list. So until that feature is enabled where I can uncheck channels I don't want the HR20 to query in searches, I'll have to continue using my HR10 which has that feature.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Following is posted in the DirecTV General Discussion thread --

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=73444

I think fixing "Channels I Receive" would actually also fix searches and autorecords. How about we make more of a stink about this, instead of focusing so much on DLB? This is a feature which is already in the software but is turned off. It needs to be fixed and turned on. I've read why it's turned off, but apparently it's been off for close to a year on the R15's.

Would it help to start chanting CIR! CIR! ????
I couldn't agree more. This is the main feature I am still waiting for. I miss my TiVo wishlist Islanders - Sports - Hockey. I never missed a game. With the HR20, I have to manually set each game, then check the ToDo list every day to see if it has canceled my recording. Then re-set it to record, and so on. With this feature, I could actually use the HR20 as a DVR, not a VCR with Alzheimers.:mad:

·
Icon
770 Posts
Add me to that list. I really don't understand why this is an issue with the HR20. Every DirecTV receiver that I've owned allowed me to filter out the stations that I don't get and don't want in the guide. Every DirecTV DVR I've owned allows you to do this to remove bogus channels from your search. This feature was obviously in the initial HR20 design, otherwise it wouldn't show up in the menus. Why put a menu item in unless you're going to use it?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
TomF said:
Add me to that list. I really don't understand why this is an issue with the HR20. Every DirecTV receiver that I've owned allowed me to filter out the stations that I don't get and don't want in the guide. Every DirecTV DVR I've owned allows you to do this to remove bogus channels from your search. This feature was obviously in the initial HR20 design, otherwise it wouldn't show up in the menus. Why put a menu item in unless you're going to use it?
They do use it.
It filters your guide, and that is how pretty much all the previous models worked... up to about the D10/D11 series... that then started to allow you to "search".

As for the DTivos; It was "critical" to the DTiVo series, and the Suggestion feature..

I guess I must be different...I have a pretty good idea on what channels I have.... I know "locals" that hit in the 300's... I don't have. in the 400's, there is nothing I watch in there.

I rarely have any of the premium packages in the 500's, I know my RSN in the 600's... I don't subscribe to the extended sports packages in the 700's... and it is just music in the 800's.

I have every channel in the 200 - low 300's... and I know my Local's, and the HD networks I have...

So on general searches.... Sure... I would like it to pre-filter thouse, but since it doesn't... I still don't run into a problem.

Auto-records (which I don't use), there would be a bigger problem there.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally, I, like Earl, have a pretty good "Channels I Get" filter in my brain. However, I'm not the only one in the house who uses the HR20 (admittedly, no one's using it right now). I just think that re-enabling this feature would add a lot of stability to autorecords and searches, and possibly increase search speed, which isn't so great.

·
Icon
770 Posts
How can CIR be used to filter my guide if I can't uncheck the channels that I don't get? If I do a search for an ABC program for example, among the results are the East and West SD feed, the East and West HD feed, the local SD channel, the local HD channel, the OTA channel and sometimes the OTA sub-channel. I don't get the East and West feeds, I don't want to record in SD, I don't want to record the sub-channel, so why do I have to filter through them to get to the CHANNELS I RECEIVE?

My point is, why have a menu for it but not allow us to use that menu to hide what we don't want to see? Why clutter up the search when there appears to be a way for this to be done much more cleanly? Especially since it's already been done.

I know that you hate comparisons to the DirecTV TiVo boxes, but both my SAT-T60 DirecTiVo and my HR10 HD TiVo DVR do this just fine. And I have a lot of auto-records, so this does affect me.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
TomF said:
How can CIR be used to filter my guide if I can't uncheck the channels that I don't get? If I do a search for an ABC program for example, among the results are the East and West SD feed, the East and West HD feed, the local SD channel, the local HD channel, the OTA channel and sometimes the OTA sub-channel. I don't get the East and West feeds, I don't want to record in SD, I don't want to record the sub-channel, so why do I have to filter through them to get to the CHANNELS I RECEIVE?

My point is, why have a menu for it but not allow us to use that menu to hide what we don't want to see? Why clutter up the search when there appears to be a way for this to be done much more cleanly? Especially since it's already been done.

I know that you hate comparisons to the DirecTV TiVo boxes, but both my SAT-T60 DirecTiVo and my HR10 HD TiVo DVR do this just fine. And I have a lot of auto-records, so this does affect me.
You right... but you can filter your GUIDE, to your favorites.
Which you can user select the channels in there.

However; Search results (not guide)... you are correct.
You have no way to filter them.

And why do I hate comparisons to the DTivo boxes... hell I usually get yelled at when I compare to the DTivo.
Which is why I try to avoid the comparisons, as every time I do compare... I instantly bashing DTiVo's...

(As a side note... DTivos have a complaint, that when channels are added and removed by DirecTV, they are added to the channel's I receive list, thus those auto-records re-pick up channels you don't receive (like the extended sports channels)) ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
A funny story. When first got my Hr20 in October, I tried to edit the CIR so I could set up my hockey search like I had it in my TiVo. I called D* and spoke to a CSR who kept telling me to hit MENU - FAVORITES - EDIT - CHS I RECEIVE, and then just un-check the channels I didn't receive. I almost had them take back the box as defective because she insisted that the function worked on hers, but wouldn't on mine. Finally, after nearly 30 minutes of dealing with this, she admitted that she was working on an HR10, as they hadn't provided any HR20's for her to access. This was a TIER 2 CSR!!! Amazing!

·
Icon
770 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
(As a side note... DTivos have a complaint, that when channels are added and removed by DirecTV, they are added to the channel's I receive list, thus those auto-records re-pick up channels you don't receive (like the extended sports channels)) ;)
True that! I've gotten bit a few times when ALL of the channels suddenly showed up in CIR, including the network east and west feeds. Since those channels get the guide data first, my SPs would pick these up and record the E&W feeds. Particularly frustrating when I would be out of town, not know it and come back to no recordings. But I digress, this is a HR20 thread ...

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
This applies to two of our top Wish List Requests:

#3 "Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package" p. 33

#11 Apply Current/Favorite Channels as a filter to Search for “just what you want to watch” p. 31

Because Channels I Receive is broken, Search is broken

Because Search is Broken, Autorecord is broken.

The HR20 will not be able to work right in so many areas until Channels I Receive is working again.

If only the HR20 could have the power of my 6-year-old Sony T60.

If you have not taken the Wish List Survey in a while click the link below. Much has changed.

- Craig

·
Icon
895 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
This applies to two of our top Wish List Requests:

#3 "Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package" p. 33

#11 Apply Current/Favorite Channels as a filter to Search for "just what you want to watch" p. 31

Because Channels I Receive is broken, Search is broken

Because Search is Broken, Autorecord is broken.

The HR20 will not be able to work right in so many areas until Channels I Receive is working again.

If only the HR20 could have the power of my 6-year-old Sony T60.

If you have not taken the Wish List Survey in a while click the link below. Much has changed.

- Craig
But the way your Sony reciever did things is different from the way DirecTV wants to do things with their receivers. I would be more patient, because it's not like the HR20s developers have anything to do with Channels I Receive.

·
Icon
770 Posts
jonaswan2 said:
But the way your Sony reciever did things is different from the way DirecTV wants to do things with their receivers. I would be more patient, because it's not like the HR20s developers have anything to do with Channels I Receive.
Why not? They obviously created a menu item to allow you to check the channels that you receive. Why would they create this menu and then disable it's functionality? Granted, dependability should trump features like this, but how hard can this be?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.