DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From reading that article the problem is that it seems the Chargers have an out clause in their stadium contract after this season. Could be their fans are getting pissed.

· AllStar
60 Posts
Ken S said:
Because in most cities the local TV station or other business will buy up the remaining seats in order to avoid the blackout.
Where is this happening? I only know of a few teams that don't sell out most games. The Raiders are blocked out most of the time and if there's a market with more ability to do this and would have more benefit I'd like to know.

· AllStar
60 Posts
My opinion of whether it's a good rule or not aside I don't understand this specific situation. If the NFL enforces this rule than it's in the best interest of the specific team. Why then does the team need an exemption if the rule is self imposed for their own benefit? I guess the team just needs a scapegoat so it doesn't seem like the bad guy for not televising the games.

· Icon
627 Posts
I know this was true for the Lions when they played in the Silverdome. The capacity at the Silverdome was over 80,000.

Ford Field is 65,000 expandable to 70,000 and now they are allways sold out. They almost didn't sell out a game last year.

· Hall Of Fame
7,184 Posts
Ken S said:
Because in most cities the local TV station or other business will buy up the remaining seats in order to avoid the blackout.
paulman182 said:
Is this true or an urban legend?
TRUE.. Sometimes every the team will buy them themselves

Typically when this happens, whomever buys the tickets will turn around and donate them to charity and take the write-off.

My guess is the 24 extension was granted as the Chargers may already have someone lined up to buy the remaining tickets but they wanted to give the public one last chance..

· Hall Of Fame
1,452 Posts
MN Sportsfan said:
I know they're having trouble getting a stadium and they might be the best bet for L.A. Although I wonder if Al Davis will try to block it? He wants rights to the Los Angeles market.
Al Davis and the Oakland Mercinaries had their chance. The NFL considers the Chargers L.A.'s home team. Therefore any blackout would cut off L.A. and San Diego.:mad:

· AllStar
111 Posts
usmcbob55 said:
Where is this happening? I only know of a few teams that don't sell out most games. The Raiders are blocked out most of the time and if there's a market with more ability to do this and would have more benefit I'd like to know.
The raiders were blacked out most of the time because of a stupid PSL ticket policy. Which is paying for the rights to pay for a ticket. Ever since they got rid of that they have sold out most of there games even with the worst record in the NFL.

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blackout lifted due to the "new" Fox 5

http://www.chargers.com/news/press-releases/press-release-20080905.php

The new Fox 5 San Diego has guaranteed the purchase of enough tickets to lift the television blackout on Sunday's game between the Chargers and the Carolina Panthers. Kickoff is 1:15 pm. The game will be shown live on Fox 5, the new Fox network affiliate in San Diego that just hit the airwaves on August 1.

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ARKDTVfan said:
is the MNF game between the Broncos/Raiders sold out?
For the Raiders fans' sake I hope it's blacked out there
gonna be ugly for you guys :D
Raider fans in in Oakland are rejoicing. Blackout lifted without an extension. Take that Charger fans. :D Being in Ohio, NFL ST is a godsend......From Al....:p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.