DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some light dropouts lately on my HD locals - Charlotte, NC.

Would you all who live in the Charlotte area post your signal strengths on the 99 and 103 sats? I'm trying to see if my dish needs to be tweaked.

Here's what I'm showing.

99 signal strengths in transponder order 79, 34, 96, 13, 86, 44

103 signal strengths in transponder order 82, 87, 0, 0, 57, 79

Maybe with enough feedback, we can pinpoint which transponders are the actual HD spot beams for the Charlotte locals.

Thanks,

Trav

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
I don't live near Charlotte but I would think you ought to have your dish tweaked - my transponders are all mostly in the mid-upper 90's except for a couple that are around 89 - 90 and a few that are so low as to indicate that they are for neighboring spotbeams for other cities.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LameLefty said:
I don't live near Charlotte but I would think you ought to have your dish tweaked - my transponders are all mostly in the mid-upper 90's except for a couple that are around 89 - 90 and a few that are so low as to indicate that they are for neighboring spotbeams for other cities.
Wow, You've really got that dish lined up.

As I read over other theads it seems hardly anyone reaches the 90's on all transponders. I didn't even think it was possible on the 99 & 103. The other three sats are all mid to high 90's. I guess I'll wait and see what a few others in the area have to say before messing around with the dish. I don't want it to get any worse. You know what I mean?

Thanks for the input.

· Legend
183 Posts
I'm in Charlotte. I've noticed that the CBS HD seems to have the most problems so far... ER was flawless but Shark has some issues. I've got Cold Case and Without A Trace tonight; we'll see how it goes.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dukefan said:
I'm in Charlotte. I've noticed that the CBS HD seems to have the most problems so far... ER was flawless but Shark has some issues. I've got Cold Case and Without A Trace tonight; we'll see how it goes.
Thanks for your response Dukefan.

What's your signal strengths on both the 99 and 103 sats?

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Your locals will only be on either the 99 or 103 satellites and probably only on a single transponder, two at the most. From your numbers I would guess all your locals are on 99 transponder 3, but I have not seen any definitive list so I am guessing. All the other transponders you are seeing are spot beams for other cities, you just happen to be somewhere in the overlapping spot beam, but you are not receiving any channels from those transponders. As long as your "own" transponder is at 90+ you do not have a dish alignment problem. Many people located in the eastern part of the country see several transponders, in the west where the cities with HD locals are many (hundreds) of miles apart you only see the spotbeams focused on your city, so it's not unusual for example to see only one transponder on 103 and none on 99.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
texasbrit said:
Your locals will only be on either the 99 or 103 satellites and probably only on a single transponder, two at the most. From your numbers I would guess all your locals are on 99 transponder 3, but I have not seen any definitive list so I am guessing. All the other transponders you are seeing are spot beams for other cities, you just happen to be somewhere in the overlapping spot beam, but you are not receiving any channels from those transponders. As long as your "own" transponder is at 90+ you do not have a dish alignment problem. Many people located in the eastern part of the country see several transponders, in the west where the cities with HD locals are many (hundreds) of miles apart you only see the spotbeams focused on your city, so it's not unusual for example to see only one transponder on 103 and none on 99.
Interesting. It would be nice to find out that only the #3 is important. I can live with a 96 signal.

And if that is the case, I guess the feed drops I'm seeing are station related?

Come on Charlotte folks, let's compare our signal strengths and see if the #3 transponder is indeed the common interest.

Good information tex - Thank you.

· Legend
129 Posts
Trav said:
I noticed some light dropouts lately on my HD locals - Charlotte, NC.

Here are mine:

On 99(b) I have transponders 1-6 at 77,72,95,45,85,30

103 I have transponders 1-6 at 29,52,70,0,16,73

So...it looks like ours are on 99 transponder 3.....

· Mentor
39 Posts
ctwilliams said:
Here are mine:

here mine
On 99(b) I have transponders 1-6 at 77 49 96 24 85 42

103 I have transponders 1-6 at 88 74 33 0 51 88

cbs has been terrible latley....

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Trav said:
Would you all who live in the Charlotte area post your signal strengths on the 99 and 103 sats? I'm trying to see if my dish needs to be tweaked.

Here's what I'm showing.

Maybe with enough feedback, we can pinpoint which transponders are the actual HD spot beams for the Charlotte locals.

Thanks,

Trav
I live uptown and here is what I get.

99 signal strengths in transponder order 73, 30, 86, 18, 79, 0

103 signal strengths in transponder order 61, 42, 0, 0, 25, 51

I feel like Jessica Simpson in one of those 1080i commercials. "I totally don't know what that means" :)

As for the people with the CBS problems, CBS here in Charlotte broadcasts a simultaneous SD version of the same programming which reduces the bit rate on the HD version. I always see block artifacts when watching an NFL or SEC football game on CBS. I noticed this using OTA on the HR10-250 as well.

Good thing the Panthers are on Fox! At least I can watch them lose in HD!

Does anyone else have a problem with green breakups on ABC? It seems like every show we watch on ABC turns green and breaks up at some point. College football is always out of focus on ABC as well.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ctwilliams said:
Here are mine:

Maybe?

Have you experienced any feed drops?

If so, which station?

Thanks for posting.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mfogarty5 said:
I live uptown and here is what I get.

99 signal strengths in transponder order 73, 30, 86, 18, 79, 0

103 signal strengths in transponder order 61, 42, 0, 0, 25, 51

I feel like Jessica Simpson in one of those 1080i commercials. "I totally don't know what that means" :)

As for the people with the CBS problems, CBS here in Charlotte broadcasts a simultaneous SD version of the same programming which reduces the bit rate on the HD version. I always see block artifacts when watching an NFL or SEC football game on CBS. I noticed this using OTA on the HR10-250 as well.

Good thing the Panthers are on Fox! At least I can watch them lose in HD!

Does anyone else have a problem with green breakups on ABC? It seems like every show we watch on ABC turns green and breaks up at some point. College football is always out of focus on ABC as well.
It must actually be the #3 transponder that carries the Charlotte locals.

And I guess the feed drops are station issues. I haven't watched much ABC but I will look out for that. I've been watching a lot of the HD channels in the 70 channel range and all have been perfect. I guess I was hoping for the same on the locals. Not that the locals have been that bad, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't my dish causing the short drops, that all.

Any more Charlotte folks out there? - Please comment.

Thanks fogarty!

· Icon
797 Posts
I'm in Ayrsley (49 and Westinghouse). I've had this up for 3 months now. Here are my readings:

80, 31, 91, 12, 85, 15

71, 62, 0, 0, 40, 75

Never had any problems with the locals.

· Legend
183 Posts
I'm at just under 90% on 99 and just about 93% on 103...

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all the input you guys have given. I'm assuming based on our signal strengths, the Charlotte locals have to be on the TP3.

TP1 and TP5 also look pretty good on all of ours, but it's TP3 that stands out.

It looks like my dish doesn't need to be tweaked after all. :)

I guess only the folks who live really close to other markets will be the only ones get 90's on all sats.

Good deal - Now we just have to sit back and wait for ( WBTV ) CBS to tweak their signal!

Thanks again,

Trav

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.