DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( If you're going to have a chat room I beg you not to use the HTML chat. HTML chat doesn't work very well on the best of connections and is a nightmare for those of us on 56k. This makes it more or less completely unusable by anyone without broadband. OTOH, the IRC is fast and easy, and you can make a Java IRC client available. (though I do think you should run your own IRC server instead of hosting a channel on another server. Running an IRC server on your current server wouldn't be very hard. Then just make a Java client available for the few who are lacking a real IRC client.)

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, I just realized. I shouldn't have said I tried the HTML chat and found it unusable. Now I KNOW the chat will be HTML based:( FWIW people, the IRC chat room Chris posted earlier is still up (for now).

·
Legend
101 Posts
Well guys I use a Web TV Plus box & I wasn't able to use the HTML chat. I clicked on the link that was posted in my group at Dishplayer X Etc. I would get the page with the were you type in your nick name. When I clicked the submit button I would get a pop up that stated there was a difficulty in acessesing that page. :confused: Oh well. I hope the Chat was a great sucess.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old Wizard, have you thoght about buying a computer? There's SO much much much more to the Internet than the tiny amount WebTV lets you see, and computers are getting really cheap (like, around $400 for a simple complete package). And your monthly access fee would be lower than with WebTV

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Unfortunatly at around 7:55PM the HTML chat went down. We were and currently open on the IRC chat wich is linked in the forum header. The IRC chat will work with WebTV :)

·
Legend
101 Posts
Originally posted by Mark
Old Wizard, have you thoght about buying a computer? There's SO much much much more to the Internet than the tiny amount WebTV lets you see, and computers are getting really cheap (like, around $400 for a simple complete package). And your monthly access fee would be lower than with WebTV
Mark, I own two computers. Due to my being disabled it is extremely dificult for me to sit in front of them any more. I wish I could. Web TV allows me to sit comfotably in my eazy chair, & surf on my 27 inch TV.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW, that's gotta be hard old wizard! One thing I'm not sure if you're aware exists is the ATi All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 card. For $199 (plus a new computer if your current one couldn't support it), you get a TV input/output video card (also has great 3D, great for games or surfing the web on your TV), and a RF wireless remote. Add a wireless keyboard and you're set:) Or just stick to WebTV, which is obviously more affordable than a setup like that, but if you did want to be able to use your computer it is possible.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
I checked with some of my friends who are into IRC chat and practically run their own network. They mentioned http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpChat/ as a possible HTML chat client which can interface with a regular IRC channel. However, they warned of the license, but it should be OK for non-commercial use. (Thanks IJ and Powerlord)

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Next chat will be during the June Charlie Chat on June 10th. Yes, I think it will be IRC based.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank God it will be IRC, as I tried the HTML and it didn't work for me! I must be able to speak up during it:) Oh, but I'll be out of town the 10th:(

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, remember when you tested the HTML chat? That didn't work for me, the IRC was great and I participated in part of it.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Originally posted by Z'Loth
I checked with some of my friends who are into IRC chat and practically run their own network. They mentioned http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpChat/ as a possible HTML chat client which can interface with a regular IRC channel. However, they warned of the license, but it should be OK for non-commercial use. (Thanks IJ and Powerlord)
Any luck with this one?

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Z'loth, it would be a great chat but the memory resources it uses are HUGE. Unfortunately our server doesnot have the resources to handle all that load especially if the number of people in chat goes above a handfull.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What exactly is the server? I'm just curious. If I'm correct, it's Apache 1.3.23 with FrontPage extensions added, running on some version of Linux. But I'd really like to know more, especially what hardware it is:) Just curious.

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Without going into too much detail, here are the specs:

Pentium III with dual 1.1 GHZ processors and 3.6 gigs of RAM
Redhat Linux
Apache
Frontpage extensions added for the homepage

That's all I want to give you for security reasons.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Understood about the security, the more you know about a server the easier it is to hack:) That's not a bad little box:) Not at all:) Of course, since you're running Apache on Linux you don't really need to worry much about security! Not compared to DBSForums anyways:) Just one more question that is in no way related to security - what mainboard are you using? Just wondering, as that actually greatly affects a system's performance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.