DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 1 excellent HR20 in my bedroom (a 15'-20' direct run from dish to unit) and going through 3 units on a sub 100' run in the living room, we (my Dad and I) decided to rewire the longer run on our own. The living room unit continually had the 771 error with no picture showing when tuning from 1 sat to another. For example, going from a SD to MPEG4 gave the message 85% of the time. This would cause bad and missed recordings. D* techs from Mastec kept blaming the units & assuring it's wired correctly by them. LMAO, incorrect. We were pretty sure he ran lines incorrectly. Sure enough, we pulled his 2 "new" lines and found 7, yes SEVEN, splices with reconnections. The idiot also had used an older switch from our 3LNB set up. We picked up 200' of RG6 at Lowes for $50 and re-ran lines to the living room. Low and behold we had no 771 errors at all today.

Check your lines people, it may pay off and solve problems.

(Note: BBC's are all connected, as well.)

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theratpatrol said:
Just curious to know, did you get cable with a solid copper center? Is it quad shielded?

Thanks.
I'll get back to you about that, Dad is the service tech guy around here lol.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
theratpatrol said:
Just curious to know, did you get cable with a solid copper center? Is it quad shielded.
On short runs like that, neither are required.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
You don't for the two short runs but the two 100' runs likely will perform better with solid copper. (Or better yet, a powered switch...)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
tibber said:
You don't for the two short runs but the two 100' runs likely will perform better with solid copper. (Or better yet, a powered switch...)
The solid copper core is primarily for DC voltage conservation. As there is a receiver with a 15' run to power the switches and LNBs, it isn't really a consideration. If you compare the RF propagation between copper and copper clad, you'll find a neglible difference.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
harsh said:
The solid copper core is primarily for DC voltage conservation. As there is a receiver with a 15' run to power the switches and LNBs, it isn't really a consideration. If you compare the RF propagation between copper and copper clad, you'll find a neglible difference.
Absolutely right about the RF and DC conservation. I was thinking that if the one unit were turned off-off (as in unpowered) and that if the two runs to the Living room were 1/2 of 200', then they would see better performance. Since its in the 60' range, they shouldn't have any problems, even if the other unit were powered down.

Question, if you know. Does the switch in the unit power all the LNBs even if only one port is powered? If so, then yeah a short run will provide plenty of power.

If not, and an LNB were only being powered by a set of long runs, say 125', because the other were tuned to a different LNB, wouldn't that situation warrant the long set being solid copper core.

Thanks,
Tom

·
AllStar
77 Posts
I bought a 500' roll of quad shielded solid copper RG6 several years ago. Went through it and have started on a second roll. Never know when you're gonna need it for yourself, friends and family. I paid $60 for the first roll and like $90 for the second. Get the good connectors and good compressor and stripper, you can't go wrong and you'll be the neighborhood hero.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
sigma1914 said:
The idiot also had used an older switch from our 3LNB set up. We picked up 200' of RG6 at Lowes for $50 and re-ran lines to the living room.
I hope you called D* and had them credit you for the the RG6 and your time, and scheduled a tech to come install the correct WB68 switch.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,745 Posts
Tyrod said:
I bought a 500' roll of quad shielded solid copper RG6 several years ago. Went through it and have started on a second roll. Never know when you're gonna need it for yourself, friends and family. I paid $60 for the first roll and like $90 for the second. Get the good connectors and good compressor and stripper, you can't go wrong and you'll be the neighborhood hero.
Hi, did you get that at Lowes or Home Depot?

Thanks.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
theratpatrol said:
Hi, did you get that at Lowes or Home Depot?

Thanks.
Neither, I get my stuff online. Substantial savings.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
tibber said:
Does the switch in the unit power all the LNBs even if only one port is powered? If so, then yeah a short run will provide plenty of power.
If a receiver is plugged in, it is at least contributing to the power supply for the dish end electronics. The on-off switch in a modern receiver is more of a sleep (standby) button.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
Tyrod said:
Neither, I get my stuff online. Substantial savings.
As long as you insure that the shipping costs don't blow up the cost. Some of the drop-ship outfits charge a substantial handling fee that may elevate the total cost to something above that of buying it from a local storefront.

I've found that I can get a very good value going through a local satellite installer.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,745 Posts
sigma1914 said:
After 1 excellent HR20 in my bedroom (a 15'-20' direct run from dish to unit) and going through 3 units on a sub 100' run in the living room, we (my Dad and I) decided to rewire the longer run on our own. The living room unit continually had the 771 error with no picture showing when tuning from 1 sat to another. For example, going from a SD to MPEG4 gave the message 85% of the time. This would cause bad and missed recordings. D* techs from Mastec kept blaming the units & assuring it's wired correctly by them. LMAO, incorrect. We were pretty sure he ran lines incorrectly. Sure enough, we pulled his 2 "new" lines and found 7, yes SEVEN, splices with reconnections. The idiot also had used an older switch from our 3LNB set up. We picked up 200' of RG6 at Lowes for $50 and re-ran lines to the living room. Low and behold we had no 771 errors at all today.

Check your lines people, it may pay off and solve problems.

(Note: BBC's are all connected, as well.)
So is everything still running ok?

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
theratpatrol said:
So is everything still running ok?
So far, so good. No missed/frozen recordings, although the originally troubled unit doesn't get a heavy recording load. Most importantly, there have been NO 771 Searching messages. :D

*hides from DVR Gods*

·
Hall Of Fame
8,745 Posts
sigma1914 said:
So far, so good. No missed/frozen recordings, although the originally troubled unit doesn't get a heavy recording load. Most importantly, there have been NO 771 Searching messages. :D

*hides from DVR Gods*
So maybe we all need to get solid copper center cable with quad shielding? :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.