DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Legend
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recent installs in the Chicago area? I'm scheduled for install this Friday (Friday the 13th - think I'm being paranoid?) and hopeful - but a bit skeptical as to whether it will really happen.

With all the reading of inventory shortages, I was just curious if any others in the area have had their installs recently cancelled.

·
Banned
378 Posts
qlanus said:
Any recent installs in the Chicago area? I'm scheduled for install this Friday (Friday the 13th - think I'm being paranoid?) and hopeful - but a bit skeptical as to whether it will really happen.

With all the reading of inventory shortages, I was just curious if any others in the area have had their installs recently cancelled.
Hey.. ya got More to worry about than a H-20 shortage. Your DMA LOST APEX as a HSP here recently. There is a "new" HSP up there(or *trying to be anyway) and the whole DMA is In shambles.. (lol).. Further more the New kids on the block are paying as low as 12$ For the At-9 .. so they cant hardly get a soul to get near them except New tranee's. D* is aware of this and has Afs's currently targeting your DMA to TRY to meet demand and obligations. >NOT gonna happen.
So if your ORIG appt is made.. just consider yourself extremely Lucky.

Goood Luck !

·
KS9W
27 Posts
I had my install yesterday, the tech did show up on time and did a super job.
He installed the AT9 on the roof and replaced my zinwell 6802 6x8 multiswitch
with the WB68 just to be sure everything would work good. The only problem
was that the HR20 didn't work. The tech couldn't get it to stay on, it kept locking
up every few minutes and wouldn't restart without a reset. He couldn't even get
it to stay on long enough to get it attivated. The tech said he would go and get
me another HR20 but the AT9 and HR20 he brought to me were the last they
had in their shop. D* is going to ship me another HR20.

·
8 Posts
Had mine installed Friday. I would say the only hick-up was that I don't have two leads going to the TV room. I had informed D* of this but of course, the guy showed up and and didn't have any line fishing equiptment.

I preceeded to have a very heated debate with a guy named Kevin (and Apex Supervisor and possibly the worst customer service skills ever). After giving up on Kevin's abilty to speak english much less help the situation, the installer and I worked out a way to get a cable there from the outside. I had wanted to avoid drilling holes in the walls... oh well.

It works and seems to work great so far. No complaints on functionality.

I wouln't mind trying to figure out a worthwhile channel to complain about Kevin's attitude and service skills however if anyone has any suggestions.

·
Icon
914 Posts
Here in VA, no HR20's. Rescheduled from today to Thursday. I'm suppose to call Wed afternoon to see if they have anymore HR20's come in Wed. Also suppose to be the 1st install Thursday as I have a meeting at 2pm I gotta be at. Shouldn't be too hard though, I ran 4 more RG6 lines to the car port where the dish will go so the lines are there, the only thing they have to do is install/point the dish and hook up the reciever.

·
Legend
207 Posts
Out in Joliet, had my install scheduled 1-5 today, guy was there about 320, altho no installation occurred, he was prepared to do it tho. He also gave me his personal cell phone and said if I changed my mind he would be back out ASAP to get it done, so I don't think there are any problems. He was super nice, unfortunately it was very expensive. See my post in the General D* forum for more info.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
I had mine installed on Friday (10/6) which was two weeks after I called to order it. The appointment was between 1-5PM and they showed up at 4:45. Installer said that DTV had them overbooked (5 installs in one afternoon). Install went fairly smoothly, but it took 2+ hours. They had a little trouble getting the H20 activated (first no locals, then no picture) but this was more of a DTV issue than the H20.

I couldn't believe that the H20 doesn't have dual buffers to watch flip between shows on each tuner. That's my biggest complaint, but I know that's a topic for another forum. Hopefully they will add this feature in a software update.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Had my install on 10/6. They showed up on time and it took about 2 hours. Installation went well, but the tech was very curt and surly the whole time. Wasn't exactly "handling" the HR20 "with care". He would roll his eyes a lot when he was on the phone setting up the receiver with D*, and he left before we could confirm the DVR was working properly. He said that he did everything on his end alright, and it was D* that didn't do theirs right. I just wanted him out of the house.

Needless to say, he did do an excellent job (clean look from the outside and signals hitting about 96 and up on each transponder). Now only if the HR20 didn't miss my wife's Desperate Housewives last sunday....

·
Legend
144 Posts
My install was yesterday and went extremely well. The guy was a little late, but to his credit he worked until the job was done, well into the darkness. Even though it was getting late, he never hurried and did an excellent job outside. He pulled out the Zinwell Multiswitch w/out my even asking for it because he said they're the best to use, even though he had smaller, cheaper switches in his truck.

To move things along I moved the old non-HD-DVR upstairs and set that up quickly, and he ran another line up there. Once done outside he came inside. I had started the onscreen setup and he took over around the signal strength page (all in the mid-90s or so). The inside setup went smoothly too, and by 8:20 p.m. I was watching the Tigers v. A's in HD.

I know Apex is on the way out of the Chicago area and it sounds like that's a good thing, but with all the horror stories on here I thought I should post how incredibly smoothly my install went. I barely scratched the surface of getting used the HR20 itself, and clearly that will take some time, but for now I'm just glad she's up & running...

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
How did you guys find out who the installation co. is? Did you call D*? Could the installation co. confirm they would have a HR20 to install? I'm scheduled for 10/27 but after reading all the stories on this forum I might switch to cable.

·
Legend
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
laurier said:
How did you guys find out who the installation co. is? Did you call D*? Could the installation co. confirm they would have a HR20 to install? I'm scheduled for 10/27 but after reading all the stories on this forum I might switch to cable.
Since I started this thread, I guess I should provide an update:

As expected, any installation scheduled for Friday the 13th was destined from the start to be impossible. Happy to report that the forces of nature can not be overcome - the install didn't occur on Friday the 13th. It did, however, happen the following day (yesterday), so I am now a happy H20 leasee

I would recount the various events of the day, while I took a half-a-day off of work waiting during my allotted appointment time, but having read the various catastrophic installation stories of others, mine pales in comparrison. I guess I should count myself lucky.

Suffice it to say DTV, Apex's national, Apex's local office staff and I all became fast friends over the course of several conversations. Once thing I did learn, for those of us in the Chicago area: according to the installer, Apex is getting out of the DTV installation business at the end of the month. It does sound like he, and the other local installation staff, will become employees of the new installation company, so you shouldn't fear an untrained team (how well they've been trained is material for another thread...)

I'll leave you with this perishable information:
Apex local office 630-993-0611
Apex national office - 888-526-0297
DTV retention - 800-824-9081

Good luck all!

·
AllStar
56 Posts
My install was yesterday. It was the original installation date I was given when I ordered. To my surprise it was not cancelled or rescheduled because of the rain.
Everything went flawlessly. I had a 1-5pm timeframe. He showed up at about 1:45 and was done by 3:30.
I was very pleased and surprised with the technician. He was very personable. I didn't have to ask for the multiswitch, he installed it because I have 3 2tuner dvrs, well now 4 2tuner dvrs.
I would have to say the most time took to get the Hr20 up and running, and downloading the new software and activation. He did everything inside the house first to make sure all would work before installing the dish.

·
3 Posts
I was scheduled for 11/8 in Naperville. Just called in to check on the status of the install and was told that it was cancelled due to "lack of equipment." I'm supposed to get two HR20s to add to my two HR10s... anyone hear of anything similar ? It looks like a lot of appts. are proceeding on time.

btw, it was Apex doing the installs....

·
6 Posts
i'm not a happy camper with APEX I had an appt. for 10/5 to install my HR20 the guy came out said he's got the box and dish all set,but the new dish would not work with my old dish mount a 3 LNB dish the new dish is bigger, I'm like so no prob use the newer mount except he says the CO. did not give him any for the job ???? A new dish was being put up what did they think Duct tape and bubblegum would work !!!!.
Was told had to reschedule would only be a few days when the CO called delay turned out to be next appt was today 10/27 between 8-12 and guess what there not here and it's 3:30 pm and can get no answer on the dam phone from them 630-993-0611

·
Icon
914 Posts
Make sure you call DirecTV.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
qlanus said:
Since I started this thread, I guess I should provide an update:

As expected, any installation scheduled for Friday the 13th was destined from the start to be impossible. Happy to report that the forces of nature can not be overcome - the install didn't occur on Friday the 13th. It did, however, happen the following day (yesterday), so I am now a happy H20 leasee

I would recount the various events of the day, while I took a half-a-day off of work waiting during my allotted appointment time, but having read the various catastrophic installation stories of others, mine pales in comparrison. I guess I should count myself lucky.

Suffice it to say DTV, Apex's national, Apex's local office staff and I all became fast friends over the course of several conversations. Once thing I did learn, for those of us in the Chicago area: according to the installer, Apex is getting out of the DTV installation business at the end of the month. It does sound like he, and the other local installation staff, will become employees of the new installation company, so you shouldn't fear an untrained team (how well they've been trained is material for another thread...)

I'll leave you with this perishable information:
Apex local office 630-993-0611
Apex national office - 888-526-0297
DTV retention - 800-824-9081

Good luck all!
Had my install cancelled last Wed 10/24. During the call managed to get the Superfan package for free and an additional 6mths of HD (10 total now). I questioned the person I was speaking with (Customer Retention) about Apex not doing installs anymore and he said he had heard nothing of the sort. Called DTV again today and they still aren't rescheduling yet. The other issue is I have already received my first bill with the HR-20 portion on it (broke it up over 3mths), and am not happy about paying for something that I don't have and don't have any idea of when I will get it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.