Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I was wondering if Comcast Sports Net Chicago broadcasts HDTV all of the time on 640?

According to D* website only Chicago Cubs Games are broadcast in HDTV. Not Sox, Bulls or Blackhawks

I am looking into getting the HR20 but want to know what HD programming is available

Thanks

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Comcast Sports Net shows a LOT of HD content.
Usually the televised Home Games for those teams.

And yes, if Comcast Sports Net Chicago has the event in HD... it is available on DirecTV

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
basementman said:
Earl, is Comcast SN only in HD on MPEG-4? Meaning, you need the HR20 to get it in HD?

On my HR10-250, ch. 640 always comes in SD.
Yes, it is a spot-beamed MPEG-4 HD
it shows up as a 2nd (and 2nd in the list) channel 640 on the H20 and HR20

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Hi Earl--

I believe I saw a one time a map of the spot beams. Is there a way to tell whether or not you receive a spot beam? For instance I am in Des Moines, we receive Chicago Comcast Sports, do we receive the spot beam?

Thanks.

·
Godfather
394 Posts
basementman said:
Earl, is Comcast SN only in HD on MPEG-4? Meaning, you need the HR20 to get it in HD?

On my HR10-250, ch. 640 always comes in SD.
As Earl said, there are 2 640's. One is listed as CSN and the other as RSN. select the RSN channel and that is the HD channel.

If you are using a custom list, you will need to add the other 640 to your list before you will see it. At least I had too.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jeffjorgy said:
Hi Earl--

I believe I saw a one time a map of the spot beams. Is there a way to tell whether or not you receive a spot beam? For instance I am in Des Moines, we receive Chicago Comcast Sports, do we receive the spot beam?

Thanks.
I don't think the spot beam is that large.
Basically right now CSN-HD is only available to the same folks that get the Chicago HD LILs

·
Legend
188 Posts
The spot beam reaches as far as the Illinois-Iowa border. I can guarantee that as i have CSN-Chicago in High Def. Des Moines is another story. Call D* and have them do some testing for you. They will temporarily, while your on the phone, "move" you to the Chicago area. If you get the locals, you are in the spot beam. That is what they did for me because I wasn't receiving it either. They then pass along a message to programming that your zip code needs to be programmed into the system to receive it.

189 Posts
Do you think the spot beam hits Clinton, Iowa? We sit right on the IL border ( OK so we sit right next to the river).

·
Legend
188 Posts
bhigh8 said:
I know I dont get it in Bloomington/Normal IL. I am about 2 hrs south and its not in HD. I was told i was out of the spotbeam.
Im 2 hours west. I would call and have them do the "move" test. I was told by HD tech support on three occasions that if you are in an RSN's market based on your zip code, you are also supposed to get their HD feed. When they "moved" me to the Chicago area, I was able to receive all of their HD locals, which I believe are also spot beamed. It took about three days after they told me that they would forward my work order to HD programers about me receiving it and I had it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.