DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Chicago with a cabin in Northern Wisconsin (Minocqua 300 miles north). I have been moving my SD receiver with me for years and get the Chicago locals with no problem. I have switched to an HD receiver now. I mounted the new dish. I get everything except for the locals now. yes, I understand there is a spot beam, but should I be able to get cbs, nbc, abc and wgn in Wisconsin? I noticed I am getting some of the locals. Chn 13,23,38 and 62. When I compared my sat signals from home to Wisco, I noticed I have more 00's and weaker signals on the transponders on 99(s). Do I need to try to better aim my antenna since I am getting some locals or is this a hopeless proposition? Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
The HD spotbeam is a bit narrower than the SD beam, and requires more precise aiming for the dish for best possible signal. The channels you say you get are all SD only channels so it makes sense that you get them.

Best thing you can do is change your setup so your guide is set for "show SD duplicates" and then you can choose the SD version of your locals. Probably no way you will ever pick up your HD locals in northern Wisconsin. Generally if you venture much more than 200 miles from the center of your spotbeam you can't pick up HD channels - and the HD spotbeam is aimed to the SW of Chicago, so if you are 300 miles from Chicago you are further from the center of the spotbeam.

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
The best answer is to call DirecTV and change your address when you are at the cabin. Then you should get Wisconsin locals provided to that area. Not changing your address is a violation of DirecTV's terms of service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advise. I changed the channel setup to show the SD channels and just as Slice said, the locals do come in in SD. That is sufficient for now. I get the local Wisco channels OTA.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
slice1900 said:
The HD spotbeam is a bit narrower than the SD beam, and requires more precise aiming for the dish for best possible signal.
"A bit narrower"?

The Chicago Ka spot beam is centered somewhere southeast of Bloomington whereas the Chicago Ku beam is centered near to Waukegan so there's about 150 miles between the centers alone.

·
Godfather
532 Posts
James Long said:
Not changing your address is a violation of DirecTV's terms of service.
I wonder. I also did this for years after checking it with DirecTV. I was told as long as I was paying for the receiver they didn't care where it was and couldn't really tell anyhow. Maybe the terms of service have changed. Wouldn't he be grandfathered in?

·
AllStar
2,189 Posts
rbpeirce said:
I wonder. I also did this for years after checking it with DirecTV. I was told as long as I was paying for the receiver they didn't care where it was and couldn't really tell anyhow. Maybe the terms of service have changed. Wouldn't he be grandfathered in?
It's this site. Directv doesn't care where you live, as long as you pay your bill. If this was posted on satelliteguys, no one would mention that "terms of service" nonsense. I am sure there are more channels in Chicago than Wisconsin. It's a rip off to get more channels because you live in some stupid DMA that has fewer channels and missing networks like My, CW, independents, etc. The TS will have HD on the Wisconsin locals and more channels that he pays for from Chicago. Seems like a win-win in my book.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
ejbvt said:
It's this site.
Please read DIRECTV® ToS and user agreement. You will be surprised that it states otherwise

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
ejbvt said:
Directv doesn't care where you live, as long as you pay your bill. .
Correct! What you are NOT supposed to do is have multiple receivers anywhere that is NOT your service address.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.