DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last couple months I've noticed an audio issue during the higher pitched crowd noise on espn's wimbledon tennis and tnt's nba coverage. It could occur elsewhere but I have spent a lot of time investigating. It sounds like a pulsing bleet during crowd applause . or any loud crowd noise on games. It is similar to the beeping sound a trash truck makes when backing up, but it's seems woven into the general crowd noise .

I found one post from two years ago online where someone else discovered the same exact thing(he described it as a chiming sound). He never really solved the problem and in discussions with a couple other posters narrowed it down to likely issues with the compression of the sports programming. It is quite annoying. I'm posting now, because it's happening right now on the espn wimbledon coverage. I have an hr24-500 receiver. I suppose it would be possible to miss it if you weren't paying attention, but it's there whenever someone wins a good point. If anyone else has heard something like this, I would appreciate some feedback.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
In the last couple months I've noticed an audio issue during the higher pitched crowd noise on espn's wimbledon tennis and tnt's nba coverage. It could occur elsewhere but I have spent a lot of time investigating. It sounds like a pulsing bleet during crowd applause . or any loud crowd noise on games. It is similar to the beeping sound a trash truck makes when backing up, but it's seems woven into the general crowd noise .

I found one post from two years ago online where someone else discovered the same exact thing(he described it as a chiming sound). He never really solved the problem and in discussions with a couple other posters narrowed it down to likely issues with the compression of the sports programming. It is quite annoying. I'm posting now, because it's happening right now on the espn wimbledon coverage. I have an hr24-500 receiver. I suppose it would be possible to miss it if you weren't paying attention, but it's there whenever someone wins a good point. If anyone else has heard something like this, I would appreciate some feedback.
Shot in the dark.
ESPN is a 720p channel. Are you using 720p or 1080i ? The conversion might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, listening to coverage on channel 206 and I am not hearing any unusual tones.
The tones are intermeshed into the crowd noise when it surges after a point. I would chalk it up to neurological disorder or tinnitus, but my wife confirmed it was happening. At first I was convinced it was some sort of byproduct of the PA announcers audio tracks during a first round nba series. It is sort of hard to tell where the hi pitch cheering sounds and the perfectly spaced chiming tones separate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, listening to coverage on channel 206 and I am not hearing any unusual tones.
The old thread I found that referred to it was called :

HomeForums>DIRECTV Products and Services>DIRECTV General Discussion>
Annoying background ringing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by daveistheblur, Oct 2, 2011.

not sure how to link that one to this one. Strangely the one guy noted that he only noticed it on nfl and tennis programming. I've only found it happening on tennis and NBA coverage. Very similar. That thread is ten years old, but so is my hr receiver technology.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
The tones are intermeshed into the crowd noise when it surges after a point.
During the French Open I heard something that sounded like automatic volume gain coming into play just before a serve (as everything got quiet). I'm pretty sure this was at the ESPN end of things. It wasn't a particular tone, just some rather loud "wild sound".

I suspect that in their efforts to save money, they may have replaced their audio person with a less capable electronic solution. Perhaps the ringing you hear is some sort of audio clipping artifact.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
My tv can handle 1080p, and I have the receiver set to native with all the resolutions checked. Should I try and change something to test that?
It is very easy to do and takes very little bit of time to change it, try it, and change it back if it does not help.
I NEVER check the 480 boxes. I only have the 720p and 1080i boxes checked and I have Native set to ON.

Well, since I typed that and was proof reading it I realized you already have 720p checked and Native ON.
Go to one of the ESPN channels and press the info button, go up to the banner and go across to the one that allows you to see the resolution. It should say 720p. If it does, nothing I wrote matters.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Any chance you could use your phone to record a sample of the strange sound? You could post the audio clip here so we could hear what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any chance you could use your phone to record a sample of the strange sound? You could post the audio clip here so we could hear what you are experiencing.
It's an odd sound, because it sounds like part of the crowd noise when they move into a loud, high register cheer. It just sort of surfaces within cheering, but it has an unnatural sound to it, like a measured beeping. It recedes with the cheering sound. You don't hear it when they are just mildly clapping. I've only ever heard it during loud crowd noise on nba and tennis games. If I had to guess it'll be there when the NFL comes back. The guy's in that old thread describe it as well as you can, but they never mention what the solution would be. I've never posted anything with a recorded sound on here or anywhere for that matter. Maybe I can get around to it in the next couple days.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
ESPN is a 720p channel. Are you using 720p or 1080i ? The conversion might have something to do with it.
Is the audio encoding different for 720p than 1080i? Audio should be a separate stream not affected by video frame size and rate.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
On my iPhone, I use the "Voice Memos" app. Open the app, point the front of the phone towards your speakers, and press the red button to start recording. Make sure your speakers are loud enough. After you capture the strange sound, press the red button to stop recording. Then press the three dots under the "New Recording" and select Share, and then Mail. Send the .m4a file to yourself, amd then attach the .m4a file to a post. You may have to zip the file to post it on the forum.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On my iPhone, I use the "Voice Memos" app. Open the app, point the front of the phone towards your speakers, and press the red button to start recording. Make sure your speakers are loud enough. After you capture the strange sound, press the red button to stop recording. Then press the three dots under the "New Recording" and select Share, and then Mail. Send the .m4a file to yourself, amd then attach the .m4a file to a post. You may have to zip the file to post it on the forum.
I'm going to try listening to the 1080i playback of the same wimbledon matches later on channel 217 to see if it is as noticeable there , as it was on the live espn 720 broadcasting. Thanks for the recording info. The sound isn't something that is coming in on it's own, it has to be artifact that is produced in compression or transmission. I would imagine it wouldn't be noticed or even bother 7 out of ten people.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I'm going to try listening to the 1080i playback of the same wimbledon matches later on channel 217 to see if it is as noticeable there , as it was on the live espn 720 broadcasting. Thanks for the recording info. The sound isn't something that is coming in on it's own, it has to be artifact that is produced in compression or transmission. I would imagine it wouldn't be noticed or even bother 7 out of ten people.
I am watching Tennis on 217 and I just heard the sound you describe as a chime. This was a sequence that almost sounded like Morse code. I backed it up and played that section again to see if it played again. It did not. Weird.
I have Native ON, 1080i Pillar Box and DD ON.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am watching Tennis on 217 and I just heard the sound you describe as a chime. This was a sequence that almost sounded like Morse code. I backed it up and played that section again to see if it played again. It did not. Weird.
I have Native ON, 1080i Pillar Box and DD ON.
I wish I had paid more attention to the source channels when The problem presents. For the NBA stuff, I never figured out if it was strictly espn1, or espn1 and TNT. With the tennis, I need to figure out if it's exclusive to espn or if it shows up on 217 during the re-airings. The morse code description is apt. Sounds like a few high pitch beeps, about a second apart during crowd surges. It isn't an additional sound, but rather a flaw in how the high register sounds are being broadcast. IMHO, Not likely to be something that they will address. It's just nebulous enough for most people to overlook.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Subliminal advertising for Dog TV? :)

If it is not heard in the same places when rewinding and playing again (as Jimmie reports) then it must be some sort of decoding error. Not hearing the tones every time makes it harder to track down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Subliminal advertising for Dog TV? :)

If it is not heard in the same places when rewinding and playing again (as Jimmie reports) then it must be some sort of decoding error. Not hearing the tones every time makes it harder to track down.
In my case, I find that the sound is still there if I rewind and play that segment of the recording back.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Are you using Dolby Digital? If so, could you turn it off and replay that segment and see if the chimes follow the activation of DD?

·
Registered
2 Posts
NFL game on ESPN tonight has it. Jacksonville vs. New Orleans. Notice it for all ESPN and ABC football. Low humming beeping changing frequencies every half second or so. Very noticeable as a background with or to crowd noise. Has been going on for a few years. Annoying as hell. If announcers are talking with no or little crowd or background noise, it's not that noticeable. It's like they're almost trying to block out certain frequencies of crowd noise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.