DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listening to the local sport talk radio show this morning, seems to me everyone wants to see Charlie Manuel fired. :confused:

I'll comment on this after I get some sleep.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree Maiacal1. :)
Looks like the bag will be on through the weekend.

The worst thing that ever happened to this team was that 11-1 start. What that did was raise the hopes of everybody and lead to these overblown reactions and recriminations now when the inevitable slide occurred. Before the start of the season there was the pervading doom and gloom in the Cleveland area - this team isnt going to score any runs, why trade Robbie etc etc. then suddenly the great start and people think - same old tribe again going to waltz to another divsion title. Sorry folks but that was never going to happen, i mean which contending would ever be as bad as to have to choose between Fryman and Anderson as the #5 hitter1 this team was mediocre at best from the outset and it remains so today.

Call me perverse but in my opinion the the Indians are in a far healthier situation today than we what we have been in the last 2/3 years when the team was winning its divison titles. For one at east we have some prospects now!. For the last few years the tribe has been an aging apathetic team that was never going to be good enough to dethrone the Yanks yet the then management saw it fit to bankrubpt the future of the organization to try to do so, with disasterous results, gone were the blue chip prospects which were going to be the foundations for a new era. What was Shapiro to do keep the likes of Lofton, Alomar and Gonzalez for a few more years of going out early in the playoffs, what good of that been. Some people keep pointing how well Loftons played this year and how Shapiro made a mistake in not signing him, but why didnt we see lofton play like this last year he didnt hit, play good defense or steal bases- and he was earning the $8 million. so this year he decides that he is ticked off and goes out to prove a point. Isnt the sad thing that he needs that as is his motivation to play well

People seem to forget how the organization was built up by Hank Peters, John Hart, Dan O'Dowd in the first place. was it by signing big name free agents? no, it was done by bringing in quality young players through your own system or trading for prospects from other teams. To use a modern day example how many big name free agents have the A's lost for the last few years yet they still remain an awesome young team, Look at the rivals in our own division, both the Sox and Twins have built around the core group of young players and that is the way to go - it was the tribes way first but Hart lost that template though Shapiro hasnt. The future will be bright under him as Shapiro pointed out yesterday:

"Our budget for the draft is over $8 million," said Shapiro before last night's game against the Angels. "There will be no cuts in the signing bonuses. Our owners are committed to ensuring that our foundation is solid and continues to grow. The draft is still the best way to establish and maintain that foundation."

I equate the indians current situation same as the one San Francisco 49'ers were in a couple of years ago an aging old team which was broken up and rebuilt into a young vibrant championship level team in only 2 years. People thought that they were going to struggle for years to come but if you have good management as the indians have now then it wont take long to get back to that level again.

Shapiro will build the organization from bottom to top and that is the only way to go, i think some fans think we're the yankees or something who have a devine right to winning every year. We dont, these next couple of years maybe hard to take but in the long run it is what is required for this team to get back to winning ways.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scary?!?!.........There's some truth there.
I was at the fights tonight so I can't comment on the game at the moment.

It appears there offense is dead right now.
I got so mad the other night when Finley was pitching against Anaheim, Finley was pitching a good game.......WE SIMPLY NEEDED OFFENSE.

Can we use the word "FRUSTRATING" right along with the word "SCARY".

I'm getting tired of this Bag on my head, and there's no end in sight. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.