DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an hr21-700, and I've been noticing the last couple of months that every show that is recorded gets the first minute chopped off and records too long(actually it is like there is almost a two minute difference, I've not actually checked to be sure.) It is as if the clock on the dvr is off by a minute or two. Now I know that I can always tell my shows to record a minute or two early, but much like everyone else, my dvr is loaded up with crap to record, and I dont want it to miss recording one show because another one is scheduled to start 1 minute early. The obvious fix to me is to reset the clock. So I called directv and was told that all I could do was a. record ALL my shows 2 minutes early or b. reset the machine. I just reset the machine and dont know if that fixed it yet or not, but I'm sceptical. The person I talked to seemed not very knowledgable at all, and I've never called and had a problem with the dvr fixed before. Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this or is it just my box? She told me that the satallites are what determines the time on the dvr. Is this true and if so wouldnt everyone be having this issue? I was also told that some networks start shows earlier than others, but this is EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL. Any suggestions?

· Mentor
117 Posts
gb07 said:
I have an hr21-700, and I've been noticing the last couple of months that every show that is recorded gets the first minute chopped off and records too long(actually it is like there is almost a two minute difference, I've not actually checked to be sure.) It is as if the clock on the dvr is off by a minute or two. Now I know that I can always tell my shows to record a minute or two early, but much like everyone else, my dvr is loaded up with crap to record, and I dont want it to miss recording one show because another one is scheduled to start 1 minute early. The obvious fix to me is to reset the clock. So I called directv and was told that all I could do was a. record ALL my shows 2 minutes early or b. reset the machine. I just reset the machine and dont know if that fixed it yet or not, but I'm sceptical. The person I talked to seemed not very knowledgable at all, and I've never called and had a problem with the dvr fixed before. Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this or is it just my box? She told me that the satallites are what determines the time on the dvr. Is this true and if so wouldnt everyone be having this issue? I was also told that some networks start shows earlier than others, but this is EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL. Any suggestions?
This has been a documented HR20, HR21 problem that DirecTv continues to ignore.
Your only remedy is to reboot your HR21 on a weekly basis. This is only a work-around to resinc your receiver, not a solution to this ongoing issue. Find more on the clock drift issue at
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=136076&highlight=clock+drift

· Cool Member
29 Posts
HarryG said:
This has been a documented HR20, HR21 problem that DirecTv continues to ignore.
Your only remedy is to reboot your HR21 on a weekly basis. This is only a work-around to resinc your receiver, not a solution to this ongoing issue. Find more on the clock drift issue at
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=136076&highlight=clock+drift
Would this also account for my recordings....not recording? I can set a program to record, and when I come back and check the list, it's there. But when I play it, there is nothing there and it immediately goes to the screen that ask if I want to delete it.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
This is an ongoing problem. You can help get it taken care of by going to the survey here.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,626 Posts
McSwine said:
Would this also account for my recordings....not recording?
This is unrelated to the slow timer issue (and it has been around for a whole lot longer).

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts

26,626 Posts
McSwine said:
I'm not at home to try it now, but do you think a reboot will fix it (temporarily)? I just got the damn thing 2 months ago, I wonder if I can get it replaced?
Rebooting usually brings it up to close. I'm not sure it has been demonstrated that any model is any less problematic than any other model with respect to the creeping timers issue.

I'd be willing to wager that it has something to do with some list getting too large. The database functions seem to be awfully slow and painfully limited in capacity.

26,626 Posts
Doug Brott said:
So you'd rather they not look into it?
How about they do something about it? The problem is fairly well documented and numerous theories have been floated (clock needs to be set more often, database engine is a pig, etc.).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.