DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Legend
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the receiver controls CC instead of the TV.

In my opinion the receivers CC sucks.:mad:

Sometimes it bounces around the screen and is on to short to read.

Thanks

·
Legend
155 Posts
O2BRich said:

Thanks
I assume they will get that fixed. But some folks (like my kid) like to turn this on and off and it is buried so far in the UI experience, and with no dedicated remote key, it is almost impossible to do with the directTV remote.

·
AllStar
82 Posts
I don't believe there's any way to send the CC signal to the TV when you're connected using HDMI, DVI, or Component Video. Therefore, the HR20 is the only place this can happen.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

·
Mentor
43 Posts
SrLANGuy said:
I don't believe there's any way to send the CC signal to the TV when you're connected using HDMI, DVI, or Component Video. Therefore, the HR20 is the only place this can happen.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
I believe you are correct. (At least with HDMI, not sure about the others.) Anyway, it would be so nice to be able to turn CC on without going deep into the UI. How about using one of the pretty colored buttons to activate it.... That would seems like it would be a simple enough mod for D*. I won't hold my breath though.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
Greenbay4 said:
I believe you are correct. (At least with HDMI, not sure about the others.) Anyway, it would be so nice to be able to turn CC on without going deep into the UI. How about using one of the pretty colored buttons to activate it.... That would seems like it would be a simple enough mod for D*. I won't hold my breath though.
I think in the feedback to the wishlist survey, the D* explanation was that making CC too easy to enable would result in too many people accidentally toggling it on. Then, they would get too many rediculous tech support calls.

It doesn't make too much sense to me.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
mikeny said:
I think in the feedback to the wishlist survey, the D* explanation was that making CC too easy to enable would result in too many people accidentally toggling it on. Then, they would get too many rediculous tech support calls.

It doesn't make too much sense to me.
Dont you know the hearing impaired people have it too easy. ;)

I agree that is a stupid comment. If that was a real concern, the smart thing would be to have a different remote that had a button for CC. It could be provided as an alternative to the standard.

·
Legend
157 Posts
There is no reason that the CC signal cannot be sent via HDMI. Just because the HR20 doesn't currently do it, does not mean it cannot be done. And it should.

HDMI is a digital input - it definitely can carry the bits for CC as well.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
I know it is possible to send the CC signal via component on some DVD players, as I have one and it does (so long as it's in 480i and not 480p). It cannot send in DVI mode.

I would think it is POSSIBLE, but difficult to encode the CC stream via HDMI. It's also not preferred on a unit such as this. HD-CC and SD-CC use two different decoding methods. While it should be possible to send HD-CC to the TV, not all TVs would be able to decode it. Some HDTVs are HD-READY and don't have their own tuner and decoders for anything but SD/NTSC broadcasts. Both my HDTVs are like this, so sending them HD-CC would do nothing to help me.

I have been VERY frustrated with the closed captioning on the HR20. They know it is a problem, and they're working on it, but it doesn't seem to be a priority, and that makes me rather disappointed.

If the CC problems aren't worked out by January, I'm going to be sending this box back.

·
AllStar
65 Posts
I can verify that CC, if activated in the HR20 menu, are transmitted via the HDMI output. If not activated in the HR20 menu, however, the TV will not produce CC via its own decoder when the reception is via HDMI or component. It will do this when reception is via S-video or composite.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
DirecTV needs to fix their Closed Captioning on the HR20, and they need to make it a priority. Somehow, I don't think it is.

·
2 Posts
O2BRich said:

Thanks
My wife is hearing impaired and always uses captioning. We had a Zenith HD receiver and a Tivo but wanted both capabilities in one box. I never thought, in all my wildest dreams, that after convincing my wife to let me buy the HR20 that it's lack of quality captioning would be a 'deal breaker'.

All the captioning on local HD channels flash accross the screen much too quickly to read and are sometimes halfway off the screen. Needless to say, she wants to return the HR20 and go back to her old Tivo. If they can't fix this, my only other hope is to see if the OTA captioning on local channels (when they turn on OTA) is any better. I've read that the captioning issue may be related to MPEG-4.

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to ever get to my 'happy place'.....:mad:

·
Legend
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this sucks.

I am not sure I agree it is only related to MPEG4 channels.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
O2BRich said:
Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this sucks.

I am not sure I agree it is only related to MPEG4 channels.
Personaly it does not affect me, but if I needed CC I would be unhappy too. It is wrong not to have this working for people that need it.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
Capmeister said:
I know it is possible to send the CC signal via component on some DVD players, as I have one and it does (so long as it's in 480i and not 480p). It cannot send in DVI mode.
Are you sure the DVD player isn't generating the visible captioning itself?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.