DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Icon
654 Posts
"Closed Captions" are function of your TV...
not your satellite receiver.
If the "program" has CC then select that function on your TV.
Example: on my TV I have CC set to activate when my TV sound is muted.

Sorry, I have no experience with HD. My comment was for SD.
(with SD the encoded CC IS passed to the TV... even via S-Video)

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not using a TV. I'm using the S-Video output to a PC connected to a DLP projector so I really need CC in the receiver. Sounds like the VIP211 doesn't support it. Are there any receivers that do?

·
Legend/Supporter
1,358 Posts
The 211 is an HD receiver so yes you should be able to get CC on the receiver. I don't have a 211 so I don't know what the menu option is but it should be there.

·
Legend
201 Posts
Just ran into this today, customer had a HD monitor and could not enable close caption on it so they ordered a 211 just for this feature.
Just hit the Menu button
Then # 8----Preference
Then# 6----closed caption
You can only do this on the 211 and 622

·
Icon
597 Posts
retiredTech said:
"Closed Captions" are function of your TV...
not your satellite receiver.
If the "program" has CC then select that function on your TV.
Example: on my TV I have CC set to activate when my TV sound is muted.
Thats not true with the 211 and my tv via hdmi to dvi cabling.Its controlled by the receiver, tv cc functions do not work.

·
Legend
155 Posts
If the 211 and 622 are like the 811, the closed captioning setup like described by dartonviper generates the CC in the receiver and includes it as part of the signal sent over the HD connection (component or DVI). There is no processing by the receiver via the S-video or composite signal. For those, the CC is encoded in the standard signal and is generated by the TV itself.

For dnman's setup using s-video to the PC, the PC must be able to process and generate the CC for output to the DLP projector. If dnman would go HD output (component or HDMI-DVI) directly to the DLP and bypass the PC, the desired result would be achieved.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dartonviper said:
Just ran into this today, customer had a HD monitor and could not enable close caption on it so they ordered a 211 just for this feature.
Just hit the Menu button
Then # 8----Preference
Then# 6----closed caption
You can only do this on the 211 and 622
8 is Customer Support and 6 is System Setup so that's not right. I then tried 6 (System Setup) first but there is no 8 on the resulting menu.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Miner said:
If the 211 and 622 are like the 811, the closed captioning setup like described by dartonviper generates the CC in the receiver and includes it as part of the signal sent over the HD connection (component or DVI). There is no processing by the receiver via the S-video or composite signal. For those, the CC is encoded in the standard signal and is generated by the TV itself.

For dnman's setup using s-video to the PC, the PC must be able to process and generate the CC for output to the DLP projector. If dnman would go HD output (component or HDMI-DVI) directly to the DLP and bypass the PC, the desired result would be achieved.
I must say that in my limited experience with DishNetwork/DBS, I really don't like the VIP211. Why doesn't it put CC on s-video? Anyone know of a component video MPEG capture card for PCs w/Linux drivers?

·
Legend
117 Posts
dnman said:
I must say that in my limited experience with DishNetwork/DBS, I really don't like the VIP211. Why doesn't it put CC on s-video? Anyone know of a component video MPEG capture card for PCs w/Linux drivers?
menu then 8 then 6.if that dont work,u dont have a vip211

·
Super Moderator
53,877 Posts
The most recent version of the 301 "single tuner non-DVR" basic receiver.
The 311 has an internal smart card (nothing in the external slot) and can see 8PSK transponders (currently used only for HD which the 311 cannot decode in any form).

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
dnman said:
I have my VIP211 plugged into a Toshiba 46H83 HDTV. I have CC "off" on the TV. So the CC display is generated by the 211.

I tested all three S-Video, Component and HDMI-DVI outputs from the receiver to TV... all show Closed Captions displaying where they are supported in the program!

Be sure you have a program which shows (CC) in the guide. Also, not all Dish programming for me is presently displaying CC. All the 129 satellite signals including HD locals are *not* displaying CC when the guide shows they should!

[But programs off the 110 and 119 sat's are displaying CC's, in both HD (like HDNET) as well as SD programs.]

Revised: I just determined that my 4 Local HD channels (Mpeg-4) which were not showing CC's even though they showed (CC) in the guide and the equivalent SD channels *are* displaying CC's... are coming from the 119 satellite *not* from the 129 sat as described above. And, Discovery HD ch 9421 off the 110 satellite (Mpeg-2) is *not* displaying CC's when it shows (CC) in the guide. So apparently the problem I mentioned is not specifically related exclusively to the satellites used or the Mpeg format 2 or 4. So I'm well confused and frustrated now, heh.

·
Godfather
296 Posts
I have seen no problem getting CC from both my 811 and 942. I have used the 942 to generate the CCs directly, and I have used the 811 which passes the encoded CC in the S-Video which was read by the television.

If the box has an OTA tuner (like the 811 and 942 has), it should have a CC decoder as indicated most of these projection devices don't do CC natively (they're not 'televisions').

Rasheed

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
rasheed said:
I have seen no problem getting CC from both my 811 and 942. I have used the 942 to generate the CCs directly, and I have used the 811 which passes the encoded CC in the S-Video which was read by the television.

If the box has an OTA tuner (like the 811 and 942 has), it should have a CC decoder as indicated most of these projection devices don't do CC natively (they're not 'televisions').

Rasheed
Does that include the 4 Local HD and Discovery HD channels where (CC) is listed in the guide?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.