DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
I recently had a person working for a dealer (the one I purchased my system from) tell me that I would be in violation of my online dealer's purchase agreement if I sent these certs out to friends and they activated their system using my referral. According to that "misinformed" individual, the dealer was afraid of being charged back for the $60 credit you receive with each referral. I immediately called Dish Network about this and they transferred me all the way up to the Executive offices who confirmed with their Retail services dept. that no such thing occurs and that the dealer telling me this was wrong for stating that and wrong for trying to stop me from sending out these referrals. In fact Dish said that my dealer has absolutely NOTHING to do with the referral credit I receive in return for getting someone else to sign up.

Furthermore, my retailer agreement prohibits me taking part in the "offer" from Club Dish (i.e. receiving a free system, a $50 rebate off 2nd receiver and free installation), NOT from sending out Club Dish referrals. (of course, I never did activate my system under one of those certificates--- I just sent them to other people).

I hope other online retailers are not mis informed about how Club Dish works. From the conversation I had with my dealer, it sounds like they are very confused. And it maybe rightfully so because they actually do get a "chargeback" if someone uses the cert. to activate their system that they purchase from a dealer. In other words, Dish charges the Dealer for the elements of the Club Dish Gift Certificate (not for benefits associated with giving the cert to someone --i.e. $60 credit, 5 free PPV's, etc.) Are any other retailers out there that are mis informed about this referral program? If you are, you may want to contact Dish right away and clear the mis understanding up...

·
Icon
524 Posts
Originally posted by Major-V
So I take it that no one else out there is misinforming (or has misinformed) customers about Club Dish?
Dish Network has so many promotions, so many rules and a dozen ways to charge a retailer back for the commission he has been paid.

In this case the dealer may be one of two things: Either confused on the rules of the promo or simply trying to protect his/her commission.

I can`t ell you the number of people who would sign a purchase disclaimer with our comany in the old days and then call Dish or DTV to try to avoid following the rules they agreed to with us.

Then we would get a call from the customer saying: Dish/DTV said I don`t have to do that and we would say, well no you don`t, but if you listen to them it`s going to cost you a penalty charge of so many $$$,s that you agrred to pay.

My saying to customers use to be, they ( Dish/DTV ) don`t care what you do, but to protect our commission, we do !

99 % of the time it all worked out and then there was that 1 % that thought they were Perry Mason, Jr :shrug:

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Frapp,

I totally see your point regarding someone who wants to weasel their way out of a written agreement (dealer or customer). However, in the case I was referring to, the dealer's rep (not the head honcho him/her self) was trying to verbally extend the meaning of the agreement to say that I was in violation of it. There's a clause that states something to the effect that the 123 Great TV offer had to be activated using RDS3, but was not available with any other offer (including Club Dish). Now given that's all that is said about Club Dish, how can the dealer's rep. (without any further investigation into the agreement itself or the referral program) just go on the record stating that sending out these referrals was some how in violation of the purchase agreement and somehow tied to the dealer's commission? Even if the dealer was just trying to "cover all the bases", I feel the dealer's rep was just trying to be a bit too overprotective and not taking the time to investigate the matter. Any way you cut it, you cannot somehow bar someone from referring someone else to a company and accepting a "benefit" for such a referral. For one thing, trying to hold party A responsible for what party B did is unconstitutional in many ways (Party A sends out the referral, Party B signs up using the certificate using his/her own dealer). Secondly, I don't see how the dealer can think that Dish can even tie Party B's dealer in with Party A's dealer (these are two separate transactions and two separate subscriptions). Party A's Dealer receives his commission from Party A and Party B's dealer receives his commission from Party B (and Party A receives a referral credit for Party B's subscription). See my point? :confused:

I'm with protecting Dealer's commissions, but at the same time, the dealer (or his/her reps) should be more careful in researching their information before just blurting out incorrect information. This dealer's rep definitely did not understand the Club Dish situation. I hope this helps others (maybe i'm the only one). :)

·
Godfather
258 Posts
What is the "fine print" on the Club Dish offer? I know the ad says that your "friend" gets a free 301 and dish with free installation but what are they on the hook for? What is the minimum programming and commitment term? Is there an upgrade option for an additional charge to a 501?

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.