DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
134 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
You can walk into almost any major electonics store now and pick them up. We are just splitting hairs though.
I must've missed where Circuit City and Best Buy keep them.

If you're referring to Fry's and MicroCenter, they are enthusiast stores as much as mainstream consumer electronics stores. Unless you consider chip carriers and thermistors "mainstream" things any average consumer would buy.

This isn't hair-splitting. You're discussing a product (motherboards) that most consumers never directly deal with. The vast majority of computers purchased are pre-built. The self-built computer market is still considered, even by the vendors, to be an enthusiast/hobbyist market.

·
Legend
134 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
Sort of like the PC that you buy from Dell? Which many people have problems with? Much like a normal PC these DVR's are PC's and have issues just like them.
No, you're just being deliberately obtuse.

Computers are general-purpose, "white box" devices with a user-customizeable (and user-screw-uppable) OS, with applications installed by the user.

A DVR is a dedicated, single-purpose "black box" device with no user-customizeable OS, and without end-user-installable applications.

The two are nothing alike, and since I don't believe you're this stupid, I can only assume you're intentionally trying to muddy the waters.

And as far as "what matters", charging your top-tier customer base $300 for becoming unwitting beta-testers and forcing them to remain so for an indeterminate period of time while leaving them without a viable DVR solution is VERY MUCH what matters. not that it's "fixed eventually".

if they want us to beta test this product, and expect us to keep it in its current state, they can darn well refund the money we spent to have the dubious privilege.

·
Legend
134 Posts
Ron Barry said:
I hope you were not referring to me... Because that was not what I said. I suggest if you feel my comment indicated such, do a search on my name and Bash and you will understand my view though you might not agree with it and that cool. But your take on my comment is not accurate at all. Simple as that. Infact, it is not accurate with any of the moderators here from my experience. Big difference between how something is said and removing posts because of a certain view. They are mutual exclusive to me.
Are you outright denying these things were said? Because you're quite wrong.

·
Legend
134 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
About a year or so ago, Best Buy "toyed" with carrying components (cases, motherboards, processors, power supplies) I think part of that experiment has ended though.
Wonder why. Perhaps because motherboards aren't the general consumer goods your fellow moderator is trying to argue they are.

·
Legend
134 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
No it's because other stores are buying in higher quantities and are thought of before these stores when looking for these items which in turn hurts their bottom line. Argue all you want, they are both opinions.
Yeah. Mine just happens to be shared by the industry at large, that's all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.