Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Clint Lamor said:
Sort of like the PC that you buy from Dell? Which many people have problems with? Much like a normal PC these DVR's are PC's and have issues just like them. Yes I do agree some of these issues should not have escaped initial testing. In the end as long as they get fixed that what matters.
From an expectation stand point they are not at all like PCs. PC's are designed to be general purpose compute devices, the end user can change all kinds of thing on them and they can load a variety of different software on them, so the idea that there might be stability issues on any one persons PC is not to be unexpected. The HR20 is a specific purpose devices, it is a closed system that only D* can specify and make modifications to, because of that, it is expected to be very stable and reliably execute the job it was purchased to perform. There are 2 very different sets of expectations for a general purpose computer and a specific purpose device.

Technical the HR20 is just a computer, it contains a CPU, ram, hard disk, roms, and interface cards, but what makes it so different is since D* controls everything and the consumer controls only what D* enables to be controlled, the expectation is that the unit should be functionally reliable. Sure there might be units with failed or marginal hardware components, that is to be expected but it should be the corner cases. Just because the hardware in the HR20 is PC like, doesn't mean that the expectations are the same as a general purpose PC. The funny thing is I find my PC which is running a wild combination of software, multiple monitors, virtual machine software, other crazy atypical stuff is very stable compared the HR20. My HTPC has not crashed in over a year, and I also use it as a file server for my home and it has been recording HD for years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.