DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
You can take any product out there and find reviews on just how good or how bad it is. I have owned many products that I have had few issues with that people say it's garbage and doesn't work or I had this problem and they refuse to do anything. When you can read the next review and it says it's the best product I have ever seen. I have seen MANY people post and say this is a bad product and come to find out they don't own it.

As Donnie said some people like to add fuel to the fire and some of those people are here. I for one don't like reading posts where people do this and add nothing beneficial to the community. I have no problems with negative comments when people have problems, but there is a line and I have watched many cross that line lately.
You do realize that this forum itself is indicative of the overall problem. Soliciting Beta feedback through a non-official proxy shows that D* was not prepared to release a product that was not ready for market. What is frustrating for many people is the fact that they were not asked to participate in a Beta program, and then had to seek out somewhere to give feedback with the problems they were experiencing. I have particpated in many Beta programs and I conduct Beta programs as part of the release program for my products. In another thread, someone started a popular dicussion exclaiming that if they shipped software this buggy they would be fired. If I ran a Beta program this poorly, I would be fired.

People do have real issues with the HR20. I have owned many Consumer Electronics and I have never experienced the frustration of using them as I have with the HR20. It doesn't do what it was designed to do, reliably Record and Playback. Calls to to Customer Service add to the frustration. Again, D* wasn't prepared to handle the Beta issues through their normal CS channel. So, without any offical escalation and reponse mechanism in place, people are wandering into this forum to voice their concerns, seek resolution or validation of the problems they are seeing, and eventually venting their frustration outright or in back-handed comments.

You act is if you are surprised. Think it through from the average consumers point of view. Sure, there are people who will add fuel to fires just to see how high the flames will rise, but in most cases there are people who have reached a level of frustration with issues and have no official way to get resolution to those issues. So, dbstalk has set itself up as a an unofficial place to collect feedback and criticism for the HR20 Beta. Don't be surprised that many people view this dbstalk forum as yet another problem with the way that this release was handled. If there had been a proper method put in place, dbstalk wouldn't be part of the problem

Feel free to delete this post or remove my account if you feel I have crossed the line. I am pretty sure that I am not the only person who feels this way and in time you can weed out the people who are critical of the way that dbstalk and D* handled the issue leaving only the people who give glowing accounts of how nice their units and experience have been.

-hai

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Ron Barry said:
If this was the case, then the same would go for almost ever consumer device I know of. Does Canon have an official software reporting mechanism and Beta programs for their cameras? Sony? I am not aware of one. I know Dish does not and I am not aware of any of these type of mechanism from the cable side of the fence. Dish does have a Beta program but it is closed and from my understanding people that participate in it are under NDA.
I have participated in many Beta programs with companies and products that you pointed out above. Yes, they do test their products before release. Yes, they have issue tracking and resolution software to work problems through to resolution. many are conducted under NDA, others are not. One important point is that users are informed that they are part of a beta program and may experience problems.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
I find it quite funny that since I have stated an opinion on something all of the sudden dbstalk as a whole is deleting accounts from anyone who doesn't say great things about every product we have support for. If that where the fact MANY people would not still be here most likely including myself and every other MOD. Before you spout off on things you seem to have little idea on how they work I suggest you do some checking.

I have had disagreements with people on products, users here as a matter of fact but for the most part I respect their opinion. I know what frustration is I have been dealing with BETA as you seem to deem it electronics for many years in my personal and professional life. It's not fun when something you pay for doesn't work like you think it should. I get very frustrated with all of my DVR's at times, my R15 my Tivo's all of them.
You sir, are quite funny. I have done some checking and you should not make judgement calls in areas that you have not researched more carefully. If you weren't a MOD, I would consider putting you on my ignore list. Earl has talked about deleting users, and/or "giving them a vacation". Other mods, (look back a few posts) have also mentioned censoring or deleting due to views that were not consistent with dbstalk.

here is a quick litmus test for you, how would you feel if you were a D* investor? Would you still feel that the situation was handled correctly by using this proxy (dbstalk) as a method to manage an important release?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.