DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw Warner media recently signed a new agreement with xfinity to add CNN+ to X1 ...

Also viacomCBS will add P+ and BET+ to X1

I wonder why Warner media /att who still owns majority of D* didn't mention any agreement with D*

Like being owned by the same company one would think priority goes to us or u verse.. not the competition (bloody cable cos).

We should have free access to these streaming things as a perk for having att video services.

Something beyond HBO max ..

Similar to how peacock is free on xfinity and cox

Here is the xfinity PR :

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Hall Of Fame
1,755 Posts
Comcast isn't giving away those three streaming services for free -- they're just making them available to stream through their X1 hardware.

DirecTV and WarnerMedia don't officially have a corporate relationship anymore (AT&T no longer controls DirecTV, and is in the process of selling WarnerMedia to Discovery Networks).

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok as long at its not free peacock +xfinity I guess

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
Free Peacock saves Xfinity Internet users $5 per month ... not a huge discount and one still needs to pay more for the "ad free" version. Xfinity Internet gives a bigger discount for auto-pay than the price of Peacock. It is a cheap giveaway.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Ok as long at its not free peacock I guess
Xfinity customers already get Peacock Premium (the middle package) for free.

Be very careful when casually abbreviating the names of products. With there being two "P+" services (Paramount+ and Peacock Premium Plus), it is all too easy to get them confused (even if you manage to remember which network operates which).

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So they way I read it was users were getting Paramount + , cnn + , bet + free in addition to peacock...

But u guys clarified its just adding app to app store .. no biggie

If all that was included free like they do with peacock thats what upset me ..

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Free Peacock saves Xfinity Internet users $5 per month ... not a huge discount and one still needs to pay more for the "ad free" version. Xfinity Internet gives a bigger discount for auto-pay than the price of Peacock. It is a cheap giveaway.
Yea $5 is not much but all these a la carte streaming things add up.

Soon streaming things will cost more than tv provider

Off topic but netflix going up too

But um yea D* should give us access to one of these streaming things beyond HBomax

Even cell providers are jumping in this included a streaming thing bandwagon

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you add up most of those streaming things comes to around 100 or more i didn't count premium movies like sho, hbo max, starz .

Disney , espn, hulu - 20 | discovery + 7 | Paramount + 10| nbc peacock 5| apple TV + 5| amc + 9| bet + 10| netflix 20 | prime 13...

And the way shows are now they make you get the streaming thing to view the series...

But my point of this thread was they should include something with D* . Since this is the new wave.

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
As previously explained, DIRECTV doesn't own a content provider. WarnerMedia is being spun off by AT&T so even the sketchy connection fails. They would have to pay for any service they would "include" ... or (more likely) YOU would have to pay for any service they bundle in. If you want to pay $5 or $10 or more more per month simply subscribe to the services you want bundled in.

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool my rant is done thread can be closed .

As I said thought it was going to be free with xfinty thats what got me madd .

Have a good weekend all

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
As I said thought it was going to be free with xfinty thats what got me madd .
Just because Cox negotiated to get Peacock Premium doesn't mean that they get everything Comcast customers do by divine right.

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cox and Xfinity pretty much mirror each other

Same x1 equipment just branded "contour" , also same panoramic wifi router or what ever its called.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just because Cox negotiated to get Peacock Premium doesn't mean that they get everything Comcast customers do by divine right.
Comcast is the hardware manufacture and operator of the custom OS. Once Comcast signs off on adding an app with voice support to Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex they are typically made available to Cox Contour TV & Contour Stream Player since Cox just licenses the hardware & OS from Comcast. The only thing Cox has to negotiate for is if they include a streaming service as a perk of their service (i.e. Peacock Premium.)

AT&T/DirecTV typically don't issue press releases when a major app is supported since the DirecTV Stream device (aka Osprey) uses the Operator Tier of Android/Google TV. The responsibility of adding apps is primarily with Google's Play Store. The only time AT&T/DirecTV is involved is when an app developer puts Osprey on the incompatible device list and they need to work with the app developer to make it available. DirecTV's traditional hardware-based DVRs (including the U-Verse line) can't support these kind of apps.

This is how the Osprey box had Peacock available at launch but AT&T/DirecTV didn't have to do anything. It was a byproduct of Google's agreement with Comcast.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
AT&T/DirecTV typically don't issue press releases when a major app is supported since the DirecTV Stream device (aka Osprey) uses the Operator Tier of Android/Google TV.
The phrase you were perhaps looking for is "one trick pony" with the DIRECTV Stream app as its one trick. It is an also-ran in a pretty big market space with some very competent and well-known competition.

It doesn't help that it has a relatively high price tag ($120) when obtained through normal channels.

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was talking about D* sat .. we have a few apps but nothing like xfinity or fios etc

Heck I think dish has apps like Netflix??

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
I was talking about D* sat .. we have a few apps but nothing like xfinity or fios etc
That's one of the benefits of having guaranteed access to broadband. DIRECTV DBS wasn't able to assume that when they were still adding new features.

DISH offers Netflix and Amazon Prime (with some sub-subscription limitations) apps as well as live streaming of quite a few channels (especially international) not available via satellite. These channels appear in the guide on all modern DISH STBs (those with kangaroo monikers).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts