DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions: Does Dish Network provide an HDMI or component cable with a new Vip622 lease or do I supply one? Does the Vip622 require two (or more) coax cables for input and seperate output to the second, SD TV?

I currently have two SD receivers that are seven years old and am thinking of purchasing an HDTV. But the coax in my house all run back to a single splitter in the attic. I have a coax input from the SD dish antenna and a coax input from an over-the-air (OTA) antenna which are duplexed onto one cable. This one cable connects to an eight-way splitter and each of eight coax cables run to eight rooms in the house.

In two rooms, the combined signal is then re-split onto two cables, one for SD satellite and one for OTA. Does the ViP622 'backfeed' the SD to TV2 over its own input coax, or will I need to run a seperate coax all the way back to TV2?

· Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Component cables yes, HDMI cable no. The 622 must have both satellite tuners connected. There are a few people around here that have been able to diplex the TV2 output out on their input cable, so it must be possible.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
Something is wrong with your description, or I'm just not able to read it the right way. What I read (and can't work), is a single LNB connection and an OTA antenna connection going to a diplexer that goes into the house, goes to a splitter, and then to two different rooms has diplexers to separate it back to Sat and OTA. You can't have both of your current receivers on the same coax line from the LNB. There needs to be a single coax line between each receiver and the dish. Each of those coax lines can have diplexers to carry OTA In or receiver RF back out. With a DP Plus Twin, you could feed both tuners of the 622 and bring in the OTA antenna with a pair of diplexers (or send the RF back out instead). You would need a separate coax from the dish to the other SD location. But there really need to be two coax lines entering the house from the dish now for the two receivers. If there was a 3rd coax from the OTA antenna, you could put half of each diplexer pair in the attic. You could also be running the OTA and both LNB coax lines to a device that diplexes OTA onto both cables that leave it - do you presently have a single dish that gets 119 and nothing else? Maybe I'm just confused by your description.

You could run into trouble trying to use a single coax that brought in the diplexed dish LNB and the OTA antenna AND you tried to send the 622 RF output back out on that same cable. At some point, you would need to use a splitter as a combiner to get the 622 RF and OTA antenna onto coax and that combiner output could feed the 8 way splitter.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CABill said:
Something is wrong with your description, or I'm just not able to read it the right way... ...There needs to be a single coax line between each receiver and the dish... ...But there really need to be two coax lines entering the house from the dish now for the two receivers... ...do you presently have a single dish that gets 119 and nothing else? Maybe I'm just confused by your description...
Ah, you may be right. As I said my current setup is over seven years old and my memory of the cable layout is vague. Still, that doesn't help me much. I am still confused because there is only one coax at the wall where my new HDTV will go. It will replace a dying SD TV and both of my old receivers will go to the landfill. This arrangement doesn't seem to lend itself well to placing the Vip622 on top of (below, beside) the new HDTV. It will be cabled to both input coaxes from the LNBF, the OTA coax and a seperate outfeed coax to the TV2 (with or without diplexing in the OTA to TV2), right? This sounds like the ViP622 needs to sit in my wiring closet (attic). Am I still WAY off base here? And by the way, thanks in advance for your reply. I really appreciate it.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
I'm reluctant to suggest anything when I don't understand the setup to start with. ;)

The image I'm getting is a 3x8 multiswitch in the attic fed by the OTA antenna and two legacy dual LNBs on a Dish 300 pointed at a single satellite (119). Such a setup would send the single sat and the OTA antenna to the 8 outputs where they could be diplexed back to Sat and OTA. Do a Menu-6-1-1 and select Switch Check (it may display the switch test results without needing to really do the Test). If that says "No Switch Detected", the above may be more likely. If there is a DISH Switch involved somewhere (shown on the Switch Check results), the OTA gets diplexed onto the coax with a discrete diplexer pair for each receiver.

You will want the 622 to be close to the new HDTV, not in a closet because you need to run component or HDMI cables from the 622 to the TV. Only having a single coax cable makes it difficult. That one cable can easily feed both tuners of the 622 and additionally do either A) bring the OTA signal with it, or B) carry the Home Distribution from the 622 back up the cable that brought in the DISH signals.
If you can get a 2nd coax from the new HDTV / 622 location to wherever this switch is located, it would simplify things. There are DISH installers that are able to do things I don't even think of, and they may know a way to use a mix of splitters and combiners to get the whole thing on a single diplexed cable.

The 622 upgrade comes with installation, so much of the grief will be on the installer to get it to work. If it is possible to get a 2nd coax cable from the attic to the new 622 location, the setup would be easy to describe / understand. You could take the OTA antenna signal and run it down this new cable toward the 622. Downstairs, feed the new cable to a 2 way splitter. One side of the 2 way splitter goes to the 622 Antenna in and the other goes to another two way splitter turned around to be a combiner. The other input of the combiner is the 622 home dist coax. That gives you OTA mixed with 622 output. You connect that to the diplexer that separated the DISH LNB signal so that goes back up to the attic. (The LNB side of that diplexer goes to a special separator that feeds both tuners of the 622) The diplexer in the attic that connects to the 622 coax splits the RF signal < 950 MHz off to go to the 8 way splitter and the > 950 MHz LNB connctor on the diplexer goes back to one connection on a DP Plus Twin LNB/Switch. That would get the 622 the LNB signals, an OTA signal, and send the 622 output to all the other TVs. You'd need a separate diplexer pair for the 2nd DPP Twin connection to the other receiver, but that can also be in the attic.

It MIGHT be possible to not use a separate coax for either bringing in the OTA antenna or carrying the RF back from the 622 to the attic. But it gives me a headache thinging about it without the 2nd cable and doing both things on the line that is diplexed to also have the LNB signals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.