DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NY area. When I first installed an OTA in the attic (terk slimline with a radioshack amplifier, 38 miles from ESB) I had trouble receiving channels 4 and 13 with any consistentcy. It seems as it's gotten colder the the reception on channels 4 and 13 have improved dramatically. Is there any validity to this or just pure luck?

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,143 Posts
There may be some validity to your observations. I know that my terrestrial TV signals improve after it snows or there is a good amount of frost. Also there are fewer leaves on most of the trees during colder weather thus making for a clearer signal path to the antennas.

·
Legend
108 Posts
If your increased signal is pretty constant, my Ph.D. engr. confidant always talks about how leaves will eat RF and/or cause multipath. So, no leaves in winter equals more signal. We see this with our ham-radio UHF radios, as well. Various atmospheric changes can cause temporary reception of better signals. I got Okla. city HD here in NE Texas the other night (160 miles), but that is very rare for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.