DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Icon
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Doing a 4-room installation where the customer is keeping existing cable TV service, at the TV2 locations I've found that I can attach the coax sending the TV2 and a separate coax sending the existing cable signal into one end of a splitter and another coax from the other end of the splitter into the coax input on the TV. Generally works well for the customer by having the cable channels in the lower ranges and the TV2 signal over a higher channel number (80,90) Question is, at some houses no matter what higher channel number I use, when both cables are attached to the splitter, video is crappy for cable channels and TV2 signals. Any explanation what's going on.

....Customers usually don't want to slide TV out and switch cables out manually behind TV

·
Legend
201 Posts
Depending on the cable company and the customers set up the splitter trick sometimes don't work. If the customer has internet via cable I can never get it to work. If I combine with an OTA that has a power booster I have to run a second line to the TV2 and then use a splitter right behind the tv so that it is away from the power. If the splitter trick don't work then I run a 2nd line to tv2 and use an A/B switch, then the customer just has to flip the switch.

·
Icon
631 Posts
Is the signal combined behind the tv2 location or at the box? channels 80 and 90 are frequently used for digital, my local cable system has digital signals all the way up to 114.

The spliter will lose a lot of the signal so maybe an amp on the cable feed and the tv2 signal is getting hit with a digital signal. The digitals signals can go past 125 so you might need a trap to filter out the higher cable signals.

·
Icon
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kb7oeb said:
Is the signal combined behind the tv2 location or at the box? channels 80 and 90 are frequently used for digital, my local cable system has digital signals all the way up to 114.

The spliter will lose a lot of the signal so maybe an amp on the cable feed and the tv2 signal is getting hit with a digital signal. The digitals signals can go past 125 so you might need a trap to filter out the higher cable signals.
Signal is combined behind the tv2 location. Just thought it was weird that the setup works in some situations and not others. Maybe I'll get some cheap a/b switches to deal with the setups:eek2: that don't work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.