DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,426 Posts
What about the other ones?
CSN Chicago?? Will that even be around if the cubs drop out and form there own? / Maybe WGN get's into the game and takes the blackhawks along for the ride? the bulls have a small in market area and the sox are not that big out side of Chicago unlike the cubs that are big in most of there market area.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
280 Posts
What about the other ones?
CSN Chicago?? Will that even be around if the cubs drop out and form there own? / Maybe WGN get's into the game and takes the blackhawks along for the ride? the bulls have a small in market area and the sox are not that big out side of Chicago unlike the cubs that are big in most of there market area.
It will be interesting to see. I believe NBC only owns 20% of CSN Chicago, where the other 80% are owned by the teams. Most of the other CSN RSN's are either fully owned by NBC, or has a higher stake than the 20% they have in Chicago. If the Cubs back out after 2019, I could see there being some shifts. But I have also read that the Cubs have learned from the Dodgers fiasco and they aren't planning on setting up their own station alone. I could see the Cubs staying with CSN, but CSN+ get re-branded the Cubs Network and distributed more widely, CSN would be the Hawks, Bulls, Fire, and White Sox. WGN would still have the same number of Bulls/Hawks/White Sox games, but the schedule would be more strategic where whenever multiple teams played at the same time, one would be on CSN and one would be on WGN. And this is easier for WGN now that they no longer have the CW commitments. It will be very interesting to see how everything falls into place.

But I do expect CSN Chicago to be re-branded to NBC Sports Chicago - most likely in October - as baseball season is over but before NHL/NBA preseason begin.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
562 Posts
It will be interesting to see. I believe NBC only owns 20% of CSN Chicago, where the other 80% are owned by the teams. Most of the other CSN RSN's are either fully owned by NBC, or has a higher stake than the 20% they have in Chicago. If the Cubs back out after 2019, I could see there being some shifts. But I have also read that the Cubs have learned from the Dodgers fiasco and they aren't planning on setting up their own station alone. I could see the Cubs staying with CSN, but CSN+ get re-branded the Cubs Network and distributed more widely, CSN would be the Hawks, Bulls, Fire, and White Sox. WGN would still have the same number of Bulls/Hawks/White Sox games, but the schedule would be more strategic where whenever multiple teams played at the same time, one would be on CSN and one would be on WGN. And this is easier for WGN now that they no longer have the CW commitments. It will be very interesting to see how everything falls into place.

But I do expect CSN Chicago to be re-branded to NBC Sports Chicago - most likely in October - as baseball season is over but before NHL/NBA preseason begin.
Rebranding an existing channel would not solve the problem. Cubs believe that it's TV rights are worth far more than they are currently getting. So let's say that they rebrand one of the CSN channels: Cubs+, and demand that every subscriber pay 5 dollars more a month for the channel than they currently pay for the same channel.
I would argue that DTV would tell CSN to go pound sand, that their subcsribers are already paying far too much for sports that they don't watch.
DTV would then offer to carry CSN Cubs+ as an a-la-carte offering, for whatever price the Cubs wants.
We'll see how the Cubs respond.

I still believe that come 2020, the Cubs will offer an OTT Cubs channel for 30 dollars a month, with a minimum commitment of one year.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
280 Posts
I would argue that DTV would tell CSN to go pound sand, that their subcsribers are already paying far too much for sports that they don't watch. DTV would then offer to carry CSN Cubs+ as an a-la-carte offering, for whatever price the Cubs wants.
We'll see how the Cubs respond. I still believe that come 2020, the Cubs will offer an OTT Cubs channel for 30 dollars a month, with a minimum commitment of one year.
I agree 100% with that first part - what I meant by rebrand is getting rid of CSN+ as a full time linear channel and making it the Cubs channel, but in the process charging $5.00 or whatever a month for it. Wasn't clear on that. It would be interesting to see an OTT channel - but I don't think the Cubs would be the first team to do it - if some other team does it in the next year or two, I could see the Cubs doing it as well. But with such a brand as the Cubs are and seeing the mess the Dodgers are in trying to get carriage, I can't see the Cubs gambling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,275 Posts
I'd bet the cubs are dumb enough to think their brand is stronger and they can get the higher fee and coverage. But either way they would still get paid. That's all they care about.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,426 Posts
It will be interesting to see. I believe NBC only owns 20% of CSN Chicago, where the other 80% are owned by the teams. Most of the other CSN RSN's are either fully owned by NBC, or has a higher stake than the 20% they have in Chicago. If the Cubs back out after 2019, I could see there being some shifts. But I have also read that the Cubs have learned from the Dodgers fiasco and they aren't planning on setting up their own station alone. I could see the Cubs staying with CSN, but CSN+ get re-branded the Cubs Network and distributed more widely, CSN would be the Hawks, Bulls, Fire, and White Sox. WGN would still have the same number of Bulls/Hawks/White Sox games, but the schedule would be more strategic where whenever multiple teams played at the same time, one would be on CSN and one would be on WGN. And this is easier for WGN now that they no longer have the CW commitments. It will be very interesting to see how everything falls into place.

But I do expect CSN Chicago to be re-branded to NBC Sports Chicago - most likely in October - as baseball season is over but before NHL/NBA preseason begin.
CSN+ is full time directv just has it as live shows and games only. The other stuff is just repeats / ad's.

In the some outer areas (cable they may just have the main feed with the bulls replaced with filler / csn games and a flex alt part time / csn + slot (not that so full time))
In market there is a plus 2 feed.

OTT Cubs channel for 30 dollars a month, with a minimum commitment of one year. They may need the Hawks just to fill that out.

The sox same market area as the cubs but little people who really want them far out. Also they are owned by the same owner as the bulls so they both can go on there own.

WGN can play and try to get more games Right now they adding even more hours of local news per week to the point of not really needing CLTV to much unless they want it to get more picked up and putting Bulls/Hawks/White Sox games on it may force the hands of WOW, dish, directv-att, others to pick it up.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top